Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Ras was ready and had Mac in the wings ready to go (if memory serves)

That was my memory, but it's been 14 years now?

from what I can tell Altman signed his deal with Oregon in the end of February 2010 and signed by the AD on March 1

and the news reports on McDermott says he signed on April 26th, 2010.

I seem to remember Rasmussen saying Mac was the guy he wanted if Altman left, though, so while they may have had others they looked at, I'm pretty sure he was Ras's prime target
Chicagojayfan

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 pm

Majerus was supposedly a guy who was interested and called immediately when DA went to Ark for the day. But we know how that story played out.
cujaysfan

Postby omajay » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 pm

Syajeulb wrote:
Jays26 wrote:
GoatGibbs wrote:Does anyone recall any other candidates for the job in 2010 when Altman left? I'm curious what direction the university would have supposedly gone.

I may be all wet on this, but wasn't Rick Majerus name thrown out there?

Scott Sutton was another name speculated about during the few days it took for Ras to lock in Mac.

I think Majerus and Sutton were thrown out as possible names when Dana left for Arkansas and not Oregon. Mac was the only contact Rass made based on all reports including the book Piv wrote on CU basketball.
omajay

Postby Here'sToMe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:28 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Ras was ready and had Mac in the wings ready to go (if memory serves)

from what I can tell Altman signed his deal with Oregon in the end of February 2010 and signed by the AD on March 1

I seem to remember Rasmussen saying Mac was the guy he wanted if Altman left, though, so while they may have had others they looked at, I'm pretty sure he was Ras's prime target

It was actually late April that Dana left. One of those "where were you when" things in my memory, but I distinctly being at a hotel in Valentine for a wedding when that news broke.
Here'sToMe

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:38 pm

Here'sToMe wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

It was actually late April that Dana left. One of those "where were you when" things in my memory, but I distinctly being at a hotel in Valentine for a wedding when that news broke.

I had to look it up to try to find the dates

https://www.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... tmans.html
Chicagojayfan

Postby mel ott » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:44 pm

This is correct. Ras said he always has a list of coaches he keeps and Mac was at the top of his list.
mel ott

Postby TXJaysFan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:45 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:

Altman didn't leave during the season. Your memory is better than your research. In many years of college basketball fandom, I can't ever remember a coach leaving for a new job during the season (although sometimes they have one foot out the door like Cooley).

The Jays played until March 24 in the Collegeinsider.com tournament (is that still a thing?). Altman was the coach the whole time.

New York Times article from April 27, 2010: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/spor ... regon.html

Announces Altman leaving and that CU wasted little time in hiring Mac.

Edit to add:
The article you linked to is from March 2011 - nearly a year after Altman left. No clue why it took them a year to finalize the contract, but the dates listed are for 2011, not the year he actually left - 2010. The first line even says: Dana Altman, hired last April to become Oregon Ducks basketball coach, now has a signed contract.
TXJaysFan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:55 pm

TXJaysFan wrote:...

Altman didn't leave during the season. Your memory is better than your research. In many years of college basketball fandom, I can't ever remember a coach leaving for a new job during the season (although sometimes they have one foot out the door like Cooley).

The Jays played until March 24 in the Collegeinsider.com tournament (is that still a thing?). Altman was the coach the whole time.

New York Times article from April 27, 2010: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/spor ... regon.html

Announces Altman leaving and that CU wasted little time in hiring Mac.

Edit to add:
The article you linked to is from March 2011 - nearly a year after Altman left. No clue why it took them a year to finalize the contract, but the dates listed are for 2011, not the year he actually left - 2010. The first line even says: Dana Altman, hired last April to become Oregon Ducks basketball coach, now has a signed contract.

Oh, that was a year later - no wonder I was confused. No idea why the heck they signed it then!

You are correct, I remembered Mac being hired very soon after Altman had left so that's why I was confused by what I thought was the long gap between the two dates (in reality the Altman contract was LATER, Ha)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Trifecta » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:57 pm

:lol:
Trifecta

Postby Syajeulb » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:40 pm

[/quote] I think Majerus and Sutton were thrown out as possible names when Dana left for Arkansas and not Oregon. Mac was the only contact Rass made based on all reports including the book Piv wrote on CU basketball.[/quote]

Yeah, that's right. Had my Dana leaving episodes mixed up, lol.
Syajeulb

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops