Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:25 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
HoopsFan01 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:
- Teams are going to show interest in Mac and he (or at least his agent) will talk to them - he's probably relatively underpaid still

What does Mac currently make a year?

number I saw was $2,143,312

While that goes a long ways in Omaha, Cooley was reportedly closer to 6M a year

https://frontofficesports.com/highest-p ... l-coaches/

top 25 is at 3.5M

Mac not being a top 25 paid coach is a joke
BenningtonBluejay

Postby HoopsFan01 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:31 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
HoopsFan01 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:
- Teams are going to show interest in Mac and he (or at least his agent) will talk to them - he's probably relatively underpaid still

top 25 is at 3.5M

Yeah he needs more. A lot more.
HoopsFan01

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:41 pm

Nembhard and Kaluma have nothing to do with anything relevant here.

Art had it in his head he was going to the Association, to the point where every action he took while here last season pointed to that. The staff took his word on it to the point where when it all collapsed at the Combine, there was no way for him to come back. He had made sure that ship had sailed.

Nembhard had a group of people surrounding him who were in a lot of peoples ears saying that playing with this bunch of guys was holding him back from really showing the League that he could be the man. They were persistent too. Take a look at what Fanta said about the situation in his comments from the beginning of the season. That’s all that was about, though anyone with eyes could tell you what was holding him back was five inches in height.

So you can’t say ‘they had it perfect’ when in their minds it wasn’t.
HandDownManDown

Postby 3ontheway » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:43 pm

Inflation is real. Mac deserves 4 minimum, probably 4.5. I mean hell, what does Dana make in Eugene for lesser results the last 3 years, in a far inferior (Basketball) conference that now has fallen apart?? at least 4 total I'm guessing.
3ontheway

Postby SeattleJay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:50 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:“You guys got a helluva coach. I hope you appreciate him.” Ed Cooley

At first, I took this at face value but now hearing about the rumor mill, it makes me wonder if something is going on.

It would be a really tough day if we lost Coach Mac. I sure hope we get it figured out.

FWIW, someone on the Hoyatalk board said Cooley said exactly the same things about English and Holloway

"He said the same exact thing about Kim English and Shaheen Holloway. What he said about Holloway was almost word for word that quote. It's a standard line."

Anything can happen but these are my guesses:

- Cooley wasn't hinting at anything other than saying nice things about a coach he respects
- He has a very good program here, and maybe one that can be great in this year and in the next few
- While McAndrew isn't coming for the relationship to his father, I'd have to guess that Mac's style of play was a huge factor
- University officials should appreciate what a special situation they have right now. My guess is that they are the only ones that can screw this up

Good points. I’ll sleep a little better tonight. Thank you.
SeattleJay

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:56 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
HoopsFan01 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:

top 25 is at 3.5M

FWIW I wouldn't take anything reported at face value. Creighton has no obligation as a private university to publicly disclose anything. Coach K's salary was never public his entire tenure, for example.

Mac is probably making in the range of $3.5-$4mm based on my understanding. I would guess a raise is in order and his successor would command that or more unless we cheap out.

That said OSU/ASU/WVU are all going to be in his camp's ear and can more than match that. OSU/ASU are two of the largest universities in the country and all three would have a larger NIL base than Creighton
GoatGibbs

Postby JayPak » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:02 pm

ASU is the one to watch.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby RyanHolmgren » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:08 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:FWIW I wouldn't take anything reported at face value. Creighton has no obligation as a private university to publicly disclose anything. Coach K's salary was never public his entire tenure, for example.

Mac is probably making in the range of $3.5-$4mm based on my understanding.

This is completely wrong. Couldn't be more wrong. Private universities have to file Form 990s as nonprofit organizations. They are required to report their top compensated employees.

Creighton's most recent 990 available, for FY2022 (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... 01106/full), shows Mac made $2,317,745 plus $31,899 in other compensation.

The year prior, FY2021, he earned $2,102,052 plus $41,260 in other comp.

And since you mentioned it, Duke's most recent 990 shows that Coach K made $6,409,991 in FY2022 plus $1,019,319 in other comp.
RyanHolmgren

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:23 pm

Was accused of "beating around the bush" with what I've heard, in another thread. Figured I'd just copy and paste my response to that here as well

Hendrickson wanted Mac fired for the plantation comment. Ras said no. Stood up for Mac. Hendrickson wanted something to happen. Ras retired.

Mac was unhappy with how the university seemingly didn't have his back after one mistake, given his track record of being a good guy to everyone who has ever encountered him. Mac was peeved by Hendrickson.

A lot of the old/long timers in the AD wanted Burgers promoted to AD. Heard he didn't even get an interview. Blossom was hand picked by Hendrickson, came in and shook everything up, and multiple associate AD's were basically told their services weren't wanted anymore, and if they wanted to stay, would have to be in a diminished role. That didn't sit right with many, including Mac.

I don't have any reason to think there are a ton of personal issues with Mac and Blossom, but who knows. It's obviously difficult going from someone who you trusted 100% and was one of your best friends, to someone you have no relationship with, and was hand picked by someone who wanted you fired and has disrupted the entire athletic department.

We don't have any public record of what Mac's salary is- but he is severely underpaid. I don't think he's likely in the top 25 in the country, which to me is insane. Mac doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has unrealistic wants and needs, but he should be compensated fairly and I don't think he is, compared to his peers. People mention that it wouldn't make sense for him to leave foe all these different reasons, and many are valid. But when he turned down OSU in 2017, he said you don't "mess with happy", well, when you're not as happy anymore, for all the reasons I stated above, you are more willing to hear and listen to other opportunities.

Again, many have shot these things down over the years. I trust MULTIPLE people who have told me a lot of these things and have told them consistently over the years. They'd really have no reason to just make it up, and they'd be in a position to know. I didn't think anything I posted above was a secret, I assumed it was pretty well known. It is on X/Twitter amongst CU fans, and on other board(s).

Bottomline IMO- Hendrickson isn't well liked, by anyone really. Blossom hasn't done much to gain the trust of Mac. IMO, Mac wants a raise and deserves one. I don't think Mac is looking for a way out, at all. He loves Omaha and CU, and wants to be here. But he wants to be compensated fairly and felt appreciated by his bosses. As far as basketball only, I don't know how much sense it makes for him to go elsewhere when he's stated he doesn't want to coach forever. But then again, if everything else behind the scenes is true, and I think a lot of it is, I don't blame him for being open to the possibility.
bluejayfan00

Postby omajay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:Was accused of "beating around the bush" with what I've heard, in another thread. Figured I'd just copy and paste my response to that here as well

Hendrickson wanted Mac fired for the plantation comment. Ras said no. Stood up for Mac. Hendrickson wanted something to happen. Ras retired.

Mac was unhappy with how the university seemingly didn't have his back after one mistake, given his track record of being a good guy to everyone who has ever encountered him. Mac was peeved by Hendrickson.

A lot of the old/long timers in the AD wanted Burgers promoted to AD. Heard he didn't even get an interview. Blossom was hand picked by Hendrickson, came in and shook everything up, and multiple associate AD's were basically told their services weren't wanted anymore, and if they wanted to stay, would have to be in a diminished role. That didn't sit right with many, including Mac.

I don't have any reason to think there are a ton of personal issues with Mac and Blossom, but who knows. It's obviously difficult going from someone who you trusted 100% and was one of your best friends, to someone you have no relationship with, and was hand picked by someone who wanted you fired and has disrupted the entire athletic department.

We don't have any public record of what Mac's salary is- but he is severely underpaid. I don't think he's likely in the top 25 in the country, which to me is insane. Mac doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has unrealistic wants and needs, but he should be compensated fairly and I don't think he is, compared to his peers. People mention that it wouldn't make sense for him to leave foe all these different reasons, and many are valid. But when he turned down OSU in 2017, he said you don't "mess with happy", well, when you're not as happy anymore, for all the reasons I stated above, you are more willing to hear and listen to other opportunities.

Again, many have shot these things down over the years. I trust MULTIPLE people who have told me a lot of these things and have told them consistently over the years. They'd really have no reason to just make it up, and they'd be in a position to know. I didn't think anything I posted above was a secret, I assumed it was pretty well known. It is on X/Twitter amongst CU fans, and on other board(s).

Bottomline IMO- Hendrickson isn't well liked, by anyone really. Blossom hasn't done much to gain the trust of Mac. IMO, Mac wants a raise and deserves one. I don't think Mac is looking for a way out, at all. He loves Omaha and CU, and wants to be here. But he wants to be compensated fairly and felt appreciated by his bosses. As far as basketball only, I don't know how much sense it makes for him to go elsewhere when he's stated he doesn't want to coach forever. But then again, if everything else behind the scenes is true, and I think a lot of it is, I don't blame him for being open to the possibility.

As RyanHolmgren posted above, Mac clearly made $2.3 million in 2022. By comparison, Hoiberg made $3.25MM. Mac is underpaid.
omajay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops