Re: UConn Game Thread II

Postby LJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:52 am

89 - 60
LJay

Postby Trifecta » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:11 am

LJay wrote:Hurley and the court storm.

https://www.outkick.com/sports/uconns-d ... -arrogance

While his antics are tiresome, I truly don't think Hurley is the natural douchebag on the level of, say, Gregg Marshall. I think he is fully committed to playing the part of a villain.
Trifecta

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 am

Totally agree. He’s really smart and knows what he’s doing, and is completely comfortable wearing the black hat.

I mean, he’s naturally abrasive I’m sure but hey, there’s nothing wrong with being naturally abrasive in my book…
HandDownManDown

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:16 am

Yep, that's the difference between someone like Gregg Marshall, who has no off position on the jerk switch. His temper eventually consumed him and he didn't have any/enough allies to survive it.

Hurley has a temper and some rough edges, too, but he's been able to harness it to his advantage because he's self-aware enough to wink at it, and he's able to switch the worst parts of his personality off when the game is over. Sharing the "shame! shame!" meme with his face superimposed on the video this week was a perfect example. That was objectively funny.

He's like a pro wrestling heel -- the villain everybody loves to hate but secretly respects because they know it's mostly an act. And he's leaned into it because it works for him and his program. Helluva coach.
WBR Tom

Postby SDJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:22 am

WBR Tom wrote:Yep, that's the difference between someone like Gregg Marshall, who has no off position on the jerk switch. His temper eventually consumed him and he didn't have any/enough allies to survive it.

Hurley has a temper and some rough edges, too, but he's been able to harness it to his advantage because he's self-aware enough to wink at it, and he's able to switch the worst parts of his personality off when the game is over. Sharing the "shame! shame!" meme with his face superimposed on the video this week was a perfect example. That was objectively funny.

He's like a pro wrestling heel -- the villain everybody loves to hate but secretly respects because they know it's mostly an act. And he's leaned into it because it works for him and his program. Helluva coach.

Great line about Marshall! :lol:
Night and day from Greggg blaming the refs at the MVC tourney after losing to Illinois St.
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby #RollJays » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:51 am

Hurley is just a psychopath while the game is in motion during a tense game. He's a great coach and a good dude off the court. He's actually been pretty open about his mental health issues. You can tell he has quite a bit of respect for Mac and our players. Hurley is a top 10 coach in college bball so you take whatever issues he has and live with them.
#RollJays

Postby Syajeulb » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:10 pm

WBR Tom wrote:Yep, that's the difference between someone like Gregg Marshall, who has no off position on the jerk switch. His temper eventually consumed him and he didn't have any/enough allies to survive it.

This is a good take. I find Hurley (and Sean Miller, for that matter) much less annoying than, say, Shaka Smart.
Syajeulb

Postby ILikeStuff » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:48 pm

#RollJays wrote:Hurley is just a psychopath while the game is in motion during a tense game. He's a great coach and a good dude off the court. He's actually been pretty open about his mental health issues. You can tell he has quite a bit of respect for Mac and our players. Hurley is a top 10 coach in college bball so you take whatever issues he has and live with them.

We played UConn 2 games after Nembhard broke his wrist - and Hurley sought him out before the game to sing his praises and encourage him along. Went against everything I expected of him and made me view him in a different light.

It's annoying as hell playing against him - but it seems like his team likes playing for him. Look no further than how many of his players stuck around after the championship to play another year with him. I'm sure those guys were swimming in NIL opportunities. The new transfer rules and NIL would have ruined Gregggg even if his attitude didn't.
ILikeStuff

Postby ILikeStuff » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:49 pm

That said - beating him 5 out of 7 goes gives me much pleasure.
ILikeStuff

Postby cufan10 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:55 pm

This is a good take. I find Hurley (and Sean Miller, for that matter) much less annoying than, say, Shaka Smart.[/quote]

Agree. Shaka gets on my nerves with his antics. Standing on the court during play and cutting off Baylor's driving lane but no T. If I was Mac before the rematch next week I would tell the guys if Shaka is on the court blocking a lane just run into him and force the ref to make a call. Much prefer Hurley and Miller over Shaka and his antics.
cufan10

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops