UConn Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn Game Thread II

Postby jaykorver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:00 pm

jaykorver

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:29 pm

A good and well measured response and I think his idea of a canopy or something is a good thought.

It was embarrassing for the students to be chanting F Dan Hurley. It is embarrassing to have these drunk fans spewing hatred at him. Unfortunately, this world we live in almost promotes this type of behavior. Social Media makes it more acceptable every single day. Too much hate in the world these days.

What, if any, should Creighton’s response be?
TrueBlueJay

Postby SDJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:39 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:A good and well measured response and I think his idea of a canopy or something is a good thought.

It was embarrassing for the students to be chanting F Dan Hurley. It is embarrassing to have these drunk fans spewing hatred at him. Unfortunately, this world we live in almost promotes this type of behavior. Social Media makes it more acceptable every single day. Too much hate in the world these days.

What, if any, should Creighton’s response be?

+1
This is the stuff we would've expected from Witchiturd & Saluki idiots in the Valley. There are better ways to support your team.
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby KenoshaJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:40 pm

The "F Hurley" is not a good look.

Very surprised if it is any better in CT, Newark, Philly or Providence. I hear it in Milwaukee.

Hurley draws some of it with his bravado. He's a Jersey boy and should be able to take it, even embrace it.

Go Jays!
KenoshaJay

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 pm

I’m mixed on this.

I have a friend who had season tickets down near there and this isn’t the first near-confrontation. One year Bluiett and some other X player had to basically pull Macura off the railing and drag him down the tunnel. Another one had Mullin using about six F bombs to some kid. At least that one was only because he was riding Mullin about his ridiculous shoes, but I’m sure they weren’t that nice to JP.

And there have been others.

So a canopy is a legit ask from the road teams.

However we don’t do that to everyone. It’s no coincidence that the invective is saved for the Macuras and the Hurleys of the basketball world. These are people who absolutely relish both the spotlight and the black hat. And in my opinion if that’s how you are then fine but you have to take both the long and the short of it. You don’t get to throw a flag on the language of the student section when every game you’re on TV treating the officials like they’re your toilet paper.

Sorry, no sympathy for that. I’m down with a canopy though.
HandDownManDown

Postby JayPacker » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:50 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:I’m mixed on this.

I have a friend who had season tickets down near there and this isn’t the first near-confrontation. One year Bluiett and some other X player had to basically pull Macura off the railing and drag him down the tunnel. Another one had Mullin using about six F bombs to some kid. At least that one was only because he was riding Mullin about his ridiculous shoes, but I’m sure they weren’t that nice to JP.

And there have been others.

So a canopy is a legit ask from the road teams.

However we don’t do that to everyone. It’s no coincidence that the invective is saved for the Macuras and the Hurleys of the basketball world. These are people who absolutely relish both the spotlight and the black hat. And in my opinion if that’s how you are then fine but you have to take both the long and the short of it. You don’t get to throw a flag on the language of the student section when every game you’re on TV treating the officials like they’re your toilet paper.

Sorry, no sympathy for that. I’m down with a canopy though.

Exactly this. He invites this behavior by treating the refs like punching bags and being a general hot head that taunts opposing fans. There hasn’t been a single game in the CHI where he hasn’t had an altercation with the student section.

To his credit, I do not think he would’ve jumped in front of a mic to say this if a certain Creighton fan twitter account hadn’t tried to make a big deal out of nothing. Had no issue with him jawing back at the student section. Guarantee the student he was talking to didn’t give a damn either.
JayPacker

Postby LJay » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:16 pm

I sit down near that tunnel. The F U from students is not reserved only for Hurley but isn’t as boisterously spewed like it is for the chosen few of which Hurley is one. I would prefer a few less F’s. There are plenty of ways to get under their skin that don’t rely on profanity at this level. And yes, it is a societal issue that has tentacles that stretch to lengths my long dead parents would never believe. They wouldn’t recognize journalism today either.

That said, a coach just has to turn a blind ear to that and not interact with drunks. But since he did, I actually thought the response was no big deal and should never have seen the light of day. People say stuff when they’re pissed, so what?

Finally, his whiny answer to the question above is weak sauce. Wait until he goes to Providence now. :o
89 - 60
LJay

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:02 pm

Have to believe Ras would have put a stop to a lot of the bad behavior and profanity. He was very paternalistic in his role and I don't think this stuff really was noticable until his retirement. But I do agree it's a sign of the times.

But my gosh, poor poor Hurley. I teared up listening to his "woe is me" situation.
cujaysfan

Postby Altmanforprez » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:52 pm

Uhhhh “F@#k Greggggggg Marshall” was a very common chant back in Ras’ day. This is all much ado about nothing.

99% of posters here have been complaining about how the crowd has sucked this year and then they absolutely bring it and we’re talking about being too hard on the defending national champions and #1 team in the country.
Altmanforprez

Postby dollarbeernight » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:11 pm

This is just a media/social media driven attention-getter. Hurley is a very good coach, but a hot head (much like, but not nearly as bad as a former NU football coach). His teams have crumbled against top competition in road games. Seems like they need a little better leadership and a little less whining in these tough situations. I wonder if some Uconn fans would agree.
dollarbeernight

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops