Freshman of the Year
G Stephon Castle

Defensive Player of the Year
C Ryan Kalkbrenner

Newcomer of the Year
G Cam Spencer

Player of the Year
G Baylor Scheierman

If Tyler Kolek plays the final 3 games of the big east season he can dethrone Baylor but I’m banking on him sitting a couple games with his injury. Devin Carter was 3rd. Tough to give POY to a player on a middle of the pack team but they would be similar to Georgetown without him after the Hopkins injury.
#RollJays

Re: All Big East Teams

Postby mannygakou » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:10 am

It would surprise me if the Jays got 3 first teamers and think Trey will be the one left out, with Newton getting favored nation status.

Big East POY is a really tough one to peg since there's minimal separation between the perceived frontrunners of Kolek, Baylor, Newton, Spencer, and to a lesser extent, Carter. Let's say if Kolek misses the next 2 games against CU and Ucon with Marquette losing both, does that increase his POY likelihood? Or does his absence let someone take the lead?
mannygakou

Postby go_jays » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 am

I would be surprised if we even got 2 on the First team. 1) There's too much East Coast bias for that to happen. 2) It would be politically incorrect.

Right now....
Kalk on first team is very possible and most likely DPOY.
Baylor, MAYBE First team but I wouldn't bet on it. Mostly likely2nd team. POY? Meh.. I suppose it's possible but there is too much bias, I think.
Trey, probable Second team and I suppose he has a shot at First Team, for sure HM. But if Baylor makes First Team, Trey won't be on First Team... and I suppose vice versa. But I see Baylor more likely First Team than Trey.

If these were announced after the BET, and the Jays had a great run in the tournament, things might be different.
go_jays

Postby jaysfan3 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 pm

Baylor not being on first team would be insane. He’s top 5 in points and rebounds and I think top 10 in assists. He leads the league in double doubles by multiple games.
jaysfan3

Postby HoopsFan01 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:37 pm

Baylor will be First Team.

It's not even a question or up for debate.
HoopsFan01

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:03 pm

Would be shocked if Baylor were not on first team -- he's in the POY conversation.

Would be mildly surprised if Jays landed two on first team -- and cannot even imagine a world where there would be three Jays, especially in a year where UConn is basically running away from the league. Not sure who gets first team as a big over Kalk -- maybe they give it to Clingan, but he missed several games. Maybe Oso if Marquette holds on to the 2 seed and/or he has a big day against Kalk or against UConn?

Don't think it is anywhere near a lock or even likely that Kalk gets the DPOY nod again -- would honestly expect it to go to Carter, if for no other reason than consolation for him not getting POY (which he won't get because Providence may finish 6th or worse in the league).

Kind of expect Baylor first team, Kalk and Trey second team.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby #RollJays » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:18 pm

mannygakou wrote:It would surprise me if the Jays got 3 first teamers and think Trey will be the one left out, with Newton getting favored nation status.

Big East POY is a really tough one to peg since there's minimal separation between the perceived frontrunners of Kolek, Baylor, Newton, Spencer, and to a lesser extent, Carter. Let's say if Kolek misses the next 2 games against CU and Ucon with Marquette losing both, does that increase his POY likelihood? Or does his absence let someone take the lead?

Trey’s conference numbers are pretty incredible. Leads our team in scoring. 18.7 ppg 5.7 rpg 5.1 apg 1.3 spg. Shooting .480 from the field and .344 from 3. Compare his stats to a Tristan Newton or Kadary Richmond and he’s much more efficient without the benefit of a friendly whistle like they have had.

I agree that it is unlikely we get 3 on first team tho with the east coast bias of the conference.
#RollJays

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:42 pm

It matters some how teams finish, so this could change. 6 guys get picked

First team: I would pick our 3 guys plus Carter, Newton and Kolek if it were up to me.

Getting 2 or 3 guys on first from CU would be more likely if we finished second in the league. Both U Conn and CU are deep, so voting for one player might cannibalize votes for teammates.

Who do I think the coaches will vote for? Carter, Kolek one CU guy (probably Baylor but Trey and Kalk are deserving), plus Newton and Spencer.

Mac’s vote will be interesting because he can’t vote for anyone on his own team. I’m guessing Mac would pick Carter, Kolek, Newton, Jenkins, Dixon, and Kaddary. He probably doesn’t want to support Clingan as it takes away support for Kalk. And Clingan missed quite a few games, so it would be legit.
SeattleJay

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:54 pm

There is a POY, then 5 1st teamers, 5 2nd teamers and a few HM in normal years so maybe 14 total chosen so the OPs list of 18 guys ain’t gonna happen.

Baylor 1st team and Kalk and Trey 2nd team. Also not sure they’ll give Kalk another DPOY. Think that will go the Devin Carter as he’ll get screwed out of POY (as will Baylor) by the voters automatically giving it to a player on the top team so Newton gets POY that he really doesn’t deserve.

A big doesn’t particularly need to be on 1st team. It can be all guards or all forwards. There isn’t any 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center thing.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:19 am

I'll be surprised if the first team doesn't include Newton, Carter, Scheierman and Kolek (with one of them as POY). That would leave two first-team and five second-team spots for:

Spencer, Clingan, Kalkbrenner, Alexander, Jones, Ighodaro, Olivari, Jenkins, Soriano, Richmond, Oduro, Dixon... There are a lot of really good players in this league and narrowing it down to a top six and second five is going to be tough.
JacobPadilla

Next

Return to Men's Hoops