Marquette Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Marquette Game Thread II

Postby CU4LIFE » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 pm

Kalkbrenner, Scheierman, & Farabello will be honored tomorrow for Senior Day.

No Ashworth. Interesting

#RollJays
CU4LIFE

Postby Jaysfan100 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 pm

All I ask, is this. If Marquettes coach gets in the way again. Run his ass over. :)
Jaysfan100

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:06 pm

CU4LIFE wrote:Kalkbrenner, Scheierman, & Farabello will be honored tomorrow for Senior Day.

No Ashworth. Interesting

#RollJays

I thought everyone on the planet expected that Ashworth would be back next year. He's making a really good living with a ton of perks and isn't really likely to play at the next level. I think two years was basically the plan / expectation from day one.

Separately, I get that Trey is not a "senior" -- but it seems almost certain that tomorrow will be his last home game as a Jay. Sucks that for guys like that there is never a chance to do any kind of recognition like the senior thing when they have played for several years and meant so much to the program like Trey has.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby CU4LIFE » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:33 pm

Realhoops wrote:
CU4LIFE wrote:Kalkbrenner, Scheierman, & Farabello will be honored tomorrow for Senior Day.

No Ashworth. Interesting

#RollJays

I thought everyone on the planet expected that Ashworth would be back next year. He's making a really good living with a ton of perks and isn't really likely to play at the next level. I think two years was basically the plan / expectation from day one.

Separately, I get that Trey is not a "senior" -- but it seems almost certain that tomorrow will be his last home game as a Jay. Sucks that for guys like that there is never a chance to do any kind of recognition like the senior thing when they have played for several years and meant so much to the program like Trey has.

I guess I was the only one on the planet. Wouldn't expect a 24 year old, married for 3 years, to return to college basketball for another year but it's different NIL world! I'll take the experience back with potentially a very young team.
CU4LIFE

Postby SDJay » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:54 pm

Jaysfan100 wrote:All I ask, is this. If Marquettes coach gets in the way again. Run his ass over. :)

+1
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:03 pm

cu8493 wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Kolek plays and I expect a 10 point win.
Kolek doesn't play and I expect a 25 point win.

Beware the wounded team that comes out inspired and firing on all cylinders. We have done it to other teams, and other teams have done as much to us in the past. My concern is it seems that each time this team starts feeling pretty good about themselves, they throw in a clunker. Hoping the fellas are locked in. A win likely keeps off the four seed for the BET regardless of Nova game outcome with SH going to Storrs Sunday.

Agree that they might circle the wagons with Kolek iffy, but I worry more about how you game plan for this. It's almost like you have to stay pretty vanilla until you can see the adjustments made in his absence.

I think back a few years ago when we had a really low D-1 team come in with a new coach who had never been a HC. We had a horrible 1st half until we could see what they were doing.

Likewise, I feel one of the reasons we hung so well with KU in the NCAA tourney a two years ago after all of the injuries is because we were able to have a concrete game plan where they needed to react to what we were throwing out there. Yes, players need to play and execute, but I personally have expected a similar result with KU if we had a game between and they had a chance to see what we were doing.

That said, I expect a choppy 1st half but I'm with Bleedblue on a 10+ point win.
TBC Alum

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:17 pm

SDJay wrote:
Jaysfan100 wrote:All I ask, is this. If Marquettes coach gets in the way again. Run his ass over. :)

+1

+2
skinzfan23

Postby DC_JAY » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:21 pm

Tomorrow is a big day for teams fighting for a 3-4 seed.

Tennessee at Alabama
Kansas at Baylor
Illinois at Wisconsin

It's also a big day for the Jays. The line is only Creighton -3.5, which is a little surprising given the possibility Kolek will be out. These two teams have played some classics over the years, and they seem well matched this season. With the exception of Marquette's loss to Seton Hall, their other losses were punctuated by poor three-point shooting. They chuck up a lot of threes, like Creighton.

So three-point shooting will likely be determinative.

In their first matchup this season, the game turned on:

* Fouls -- Marquette somehow was called for only 7 fouls to Creighton's 16.
* Offensive Rebounds -- Marquette killed the Jays 18-4 here, overcoming terrible shooting.
* Turnovers -- just brutal.
* Bench Points -- Jones poured in 15 for Marquette off the bench, making up for cold shooting from the starters.

The Jays are a better team than back in December when these two teams met, in so small part due to Ashworth's impressive trajectory. While I'll be shocked if Marquette is so ice-cold this time around, I'll be equally shocked if the Jays turn the ball over as much while conceding so many offensive boards. Barring a horrible afternoon of long-range shooting, the Jays should be able to take town their second top-10 opponent of the season.

With a win the Jays probably lock in at least a 4 seed in the Big Dance and put themselves in strong contention for a 3.

Go Jays!
DC_JAY

Postby jaybacker11 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:22 pm

No Ashworth. Interesting

#RollJays

I will say that no Trey is a bit interesting as well?
jaybacker11

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:25 pm

jaybacker11 wrote:

No Ashworth. Interesting

#RollJays

I will say that no Trey is a bit interesting as well?

Ashworth is not surprising at all. And Trey isn’t a senior.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops