2024 Offseason

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby anotherjayfan » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:31 am

What about a Devries transfer? Pretty much met his Drake ceiling.
anotherjayfan

Postby jayc13 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:05 am

Tucker replacing Baylor wouldn't suck.
jayc13

Postby #RollJays » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 am

1 - Ashworth, Dotzler
2 - Mayo (South Dakota St), Ty Davis, Knox (maybe)
3 - Devries (Drake), Larry Johnson, Lawson (maybe)
4 - Mason, McAndrews, Green
5 - Kalk, Traudt, Vice

I expect us to bring in 2-3 transfers that will all be at least rotation players. We have massive openings with Trey and Baylor leaving that will be very enticing for high level transfers.

Point guard spots are pretty much solidified for next year.

I've heard that Mayo from South Dakota St really wants to go to Creighton. We have a massive hole at the 2 when Trey leaves. From what I've heard this may have even happened last year had Trey left. Would be nice to get another Summit League Player of the Year.

A little bit of smoke on Devries. I personally would love to see it. Not sure he fits in naturally at the 3 in the Big East. Could definitely see him as a small ball 4 like Karaban.

The 4 spot is such a logjam. Mason will never play the 3 as he just doesn't have the lateral quickness to do so and he can't really dribble. Greg plays small a lot more than he plays big. Having only 2 ball handlers on the court isn't something he normally does. Not sure how we will navigate trying to get Mason, McAndrews and Green 15-20 mpg. Especially, if Devries transfers in and fits in more naturally at the 4.

I think Kalk comes back and Fred leaves. Traudt shifts to a stretch 5 role. Hopefully, this allows Kalk to play 32-35 mpg instead of 38-40 mpg.
#RollJays

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:59 am

Can we move this thread to the LaLa Land forum?
TrueBlueJay

Postby T-bone » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:34 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:Can we move this thread to the LaLa Land forum?

+1
T-bone

Postby ictjay » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:40 pm

No one could guard Johnson when he was here on his visit. He will be in he lineup, possibly not starting but playing major minutes. He is that good.
ictjay

Postby omajay » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:14 pm

For what it worth, Traudt recently said on 1620 (after the Seton Hall game) that he will meet with Mac after the season to see if he should lose some weight to play the 4 next year or if Mac plans to keep him a 5. For what it is worth, he said he prefers playing the 4 but will do whatever Mac prefers. And he said they are playing him at the 5 now to utilize the pick and pop.
omajay

Postby Dough Boy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:34 pm

omajay wrote:For what it worth, Traudt recently said on 1620 (after the Seton Hall game) that he will meet with Mac after the season to see if he should lose some weight to play the 4 next year or if Mac plans to keep him a 5. For what it is worth, he said he prefers playing the 4 but will do whatever Mac prefers. And he said they are playing him at the 5 now to utilize the pick and pop.

Interesting, thank you for sharing!
Dough Boy

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:54 am

bleedblue wrote:Off week has me thinking about what to expect this offseason and next year. Rumors that Kalk and Ashworth will return while Trey is likely gone. I would expect Green, Mason and Traudt all back. Would assume Dotzler is as well. If kalk returns I would guess Fred transfers and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawson leave unless he makes a run at the open 2 spot. The red shirt freshmen Knox and Vice seem to be unknowns.

2024 potential lineup
1. Splashworth, Dotzler and Davis
2. Transfer(?) Knox
3. Mason, Johnson
4. Green, McAndrew
5. Kalk, Traudt

That's 11 spots with the possibility of trying to grab a couple more transfers. With the 4 position being so loaded I would think we continue to transition Isaac to the 5 and Mason would move to the 3. Trying to enjoy the ride this season but looking ahead to next year is exciting as well.

Hmmm. A couple of points.
Roster: Aren't we looking at another frosh pickup for 2024? Fwd Jayden Wms, other??

The thought of our 2023 class "movin' on" is not one that thrills me. If 2-3 or more Srs and/or Trey return, such moves may be necessary. It is never a good look for an entire class to move on (Knox, Vice, Dotzler, Lawson, other?) I was looking forward to seeing Knox & Dotzler getting PT next season.

Your scenario above is at the limit in scholies. Kalk & Ashworth stay, Baylor & Trey leave. FF Leaves.
Ashworth, Kalk, Traudt, Miller, Green, Lawson, Fred, Vice, Knox, Dotzler (10) + McAndrew, Johnson, Davis (13). If we get a 4th for 2024 we'd be over (unless someone leaves of course).

With 3-4 Sr returnees (FF Ashworth Kalk Baylor) + Trey AND a good 4-man class in 2024, 2025, & 2026, these 5th year returnees create a logjam at the top. All 13 scholies are filled - so no room for the 2024 Class unless we give the boot to the 2023 class?

If this is the current trend we need to slow down on Frosh recruiting, as it is not fair to the incoming kids nor does it provide a good look from outside. In booting an entire class, such a trend is negative fodder for incoming or potential recruits.

Our 4th-5th year guys have had their run and a good one indeed. However, with their return we stand to loose an entire class (either 2023 or 2024-take your pick)? Kalk, Trey, Baylor can and should go pro. FF & Ashworth can play overseas (EU or LATAM) or go to work for a living. Remove the potential logjam by encouraging the seniors to move on with life.

2024-25 (11 man Roster) No Srs-2 open scholies)

Dotzler**, Davis - Dotzler limited (lmtd) experience
Knox**, Johnson, Lawson - Lawson lmtd experience
Green, Miller - Miller 1 yr experience, Green lmtd experience
Traudt, McAndrew - Traudt with lmtd experience
King**, Vice - King lmtd experience
*add Kalk & Ashworth = 13. These 2 severely limit PT for others in their position, complicates 2025-26 roster by moving rebuild / reload year to that season.
** severely underutilized in the non-conference season & games where Jays led substantially. Basically used FF, with a bit of Traudt, Green, occasionally King.

Pickup 2 in 2025? No 2024-25 Srs or Kalk/Ashworth. If someone leaves p/u 3 in 2025. Rebuild season.
Pickup 2 in 2026? 2025-26, Lawson & King are Srs. Someone else leaves?
Pickup 4 in 2027? 2026-27, Miller, Green, Traudt, Knox, Vice, Dotzler are Srs.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby gocreightongo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:46 am

Random thoughts now that the season is over:

What happens at the 4 next year? Miller has the most experience, but Green looked incredibly comfortable and made a really strong argument for playing him a lot more. If McAndrew is as good as advertised, does he get meaningful minutes? Traudt?

I wonder if the coaches think Larry Johnson could start as a freshman. A lot of available minutes there, especially if Trey leaves. I'm excited to see who we can snag from the portal as well.

Has Lawson developed at all this season, or is he likely leaving?
gocreightongo

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops