2024 Offseason

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:12 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
#RollJays wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Miller goes that Mason goes with him. Don’t know anything specific but that would make a lot of sense.

We have an interesting issue at the 4 spot. Green really came on late and was much more productive in his minutes vs Oregon and Tennessee. Our weakness in physicality with Mason at the 4 in both of those games was glaring. Now we have the top ranked recruit in Creighton history coming in to play the 4. How do these minutes get divided? Tough to take minutes away from a kid who has an uncle on staff and an nba dad who is very invested in the program. But at the same time starting Miller at the 4 seems like it caps our ceiling.

I still think Miller's more of a 3 than a 4, but we switch the forwards a lot and did that this year with Baylor defending the 4 sometimes instead of the opposing 3. And while he needs to work on his handle and dribble drive, it's hard to do that much when you are the last scoring option on the floor and are getting around 11% usage

If Miller could play the 3 it would have shown up more this year with 4s guarding him on the perimeter. He is basically a catch and shoot player. Kid can really shoot it but if you face guard him, you take him out of the play.
#RollJays

Postby section221jay » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:18 pm

I don't think we have seen what Miller is capable of offensively. He's the 5th option most of the time so "catch and shoot" is his primary role on that end. If the Big 3 all leave or 2 of the 3...you're going to see/need more than just the one dimension he's shown so far. I'm confident there is a lot more there.

It's not a case of either he or Green on the court...it's going to be both a lot (hopefully). Losing him would suck.
section221jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:22 pm

section221jay wrote:I don't think we have seen what Miller is capable of offensively. He's the 5th option most of the time so "catch and shoot" is his primary role on that end. If the Big 3 all leave or 2 of the 3...you're going to see/need more than just the one dimension he's shown so far. I'm confident there is a lot more there.

It's not a case of either he or Green on the court...it's going to be both a lot (hopefully). Losing him would suck.

+1
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:42 pm

Too often, fans unfairly set low expectations to players because of assumptions that their games will not expand beyond their early-career roles. I'm guilty of it too. Mason Miller wasn't asked to be ball dominant or create shots in 2023/2024. It wasn't needed with our cast of starters who played 90-95% of minutes. It's unfair to assume he cannot take a huge step forward, especially when you look at how he played in high school.

This is how college basketball used to be. Consider this my "I walked to and from school in 8 feet of snow uphill both ways" moment, but back in simpler times, players would come in, fulfill a determined (complementary) role as a younger guy, defer to veterans, build up experience and then expand their game to fulfill a different, more prominent role as upper classmen. In Creighton lore, I think of Anthony Tolliver, Isaiah Zierden, Geoff Groselle, Dane Watts, etc. We would have begged most of these guys to join the portal after their freshmen seasons and they turned into excellent, different players. It won't work for everybody, but I think Mason can fall into this camp of expanding his game significantly with a new role.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaysfan100 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:22 pm

Dough Boy wrote:No Trey apparently

Hmmm well Trey did struggle this season with turning the ball over. Maybe he’s not NBA ready yet and he’s coming back. I thought he was for sure gone and kalk was the one thinking about coming back. Now I’m not so sure.
Jaysfan100

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:23 pm

I think assigning what we've seen from Mason to the limitations of his role is probably a bit generous/optimistic at this point. It really would have helped the team if he was capable of consistently doing more, even as the fifth option. I just don't think the functional ball/movement skills and/or confidence and/or feel are there at this point. That's what makes things tricky for the coaches from a roster construction standpoint this offseason with McAndrew coming in and Green's rise. Will be very curious to see what their plan is.
JacobPadilla

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:40 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:I think assigning what we've seen from Mason to the limitations of his role is probably a bit generous/optimistic at this point. It really would have helped the team if he was capable of consistently doing more, even as the fifth option. I just don't think the functional ball/movement skills and/or confidence and/or feel are there at this point. That's what makes things tricky for the coaches from a roster construction standpoint this offseason with McAndrew coming in and Green's rise. Will be very curious to see what their plan is.

Validity to all these points. But when I look at perceived deficiencies like “confidence” and “feel” - those are precisely the traits that can take huge leaps with an expanded role. Again, no idea if Mason is that guy, but he’s a great shooter and a great athlete with as good of a pedigree as you can have. Confidence and feel would seemingly be in there somewhere with his legacy and physical skills. Will he get the chance at Creighton? I hope so.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:24 pm

I'm curious.. what makes Mason a "great athlete"? Some dunk highlights from high school? He is springy, but he's also rail thin, and there is way more to athletic ability than leaping.

I echo Jacob's comments. I got anxious every time Mason dribbled the ball because that's the energy he gave off. It's pretty obvious the coaches desperately wanted him to excel and grab hold of more minutes, but he didn't. I have a hard time buying that is a "confidence issue" when you're a starter and being given ample opportunity to make an impact.
Jaysker12

Postby Jayday » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:55 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:I'm curious.. what makes Mason a "great athlete"? Some dunk highlights from high school? He is springy, but he's also rail thin, and there is way more to athletic ability than leaping.

I echo Jacob's comments. I got anxious every time Mason dribbled the ball because that's the energy he gave off. It's pretty obvious the coaches desperately wanted him to excel and grab hold of more minutes, but he didn't. I have a hard time buying that is a "confidence issue" when you're a starter and being given ample opportunity to make an impact.

I agree with Jacob as well. He has had plenty of time out there and we have definitely had games where Trey and Baylor are struggling, where having another player create something would have been useful. If he was capable of doing so, I think he would have at least showed flashes by now. If he leaves and excels at shot creation I would be shocked but happy for him. Also it isn't like players that have left Creighton have even remotely proven that they were underutilized here. Kaluma and Nembhard were mostly the same players this year. Bishop peaked at Creighton and took a step back in role at Texas. I trust Mac is going to get the most out of the guys we have.
Jayday

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:28 am

DeMarinis was on Sharp&Handley just now. Mentioned he thinks the next step for CU is building a team that's more "full proof" and can withstand playing teams who play super physical and when officials let the game play that way. Said they need to get bigger, stronger, and faster on the wing while also being able to still play Creighton basketball and get up and down the court and be skilled.

Said he has no idea when Trey/Kalk will make or announce their decisions. Mentioned how the draft is really weak this year and that's a good thing if they choose to go.

So, nothing super new. CU under Mac usually does a pretty good job of playing things close to the vest.
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops