2024 Offseason

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:56 am

gocreightongo wrote:Random thoughts now that the season is over:

What happens at the 4 next year? Miller has the most experience, but Green looked incredibly comfortable and made a really strong argument for playing him a lot more. If McAndrew is as good as advertised, does he get meaningful minutes? Traudt?

I wonder if the coaches think Larry Johnson could start as a freshman. A lot of available minutes there, especially if Trey leaves. I'm excited to see who we can snag from the portal as well.

Has Lawson developed at all this season, or is he likely leaving?

No inside info, but:

* I think Miller is more of a 3, but he still needs to put on 10lbs of muscle, and he needs to work a lot on his handle and dribble drive, but IMO the potential is there

* Green is likely the best option at 4 going into the season, but it may also depend on what Kalkbrenner does. If he goes pro, we need depth and talent at the 5 so Traudt plays more there. If Kalk is back then Traudt likely leans out to play the 4 more

* McAndrew will play, but may be best to be a rotation guy at forward

* I don't know if we want a true frosh starting at the 2, but Johnson should definitely play. We seem to be reaching out to experienced scorers w/ the assumption that Trey goes pro

* No info on Lawson, but I liked his potential. I wonder if a Baylor like S&C offseason would give him a shot to get in the rotation

I think we had some poor luck in facing the 2 most physical teams the last 2 years and having them get very friendly whistles for their style of play in the tourney, but we need to get stronger and more physical - Green helps with that, and I suspect we want a 2 guard from the portal who can handle physical play
Chicagojayfan

Postby Bryant » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 am

My predication

PG: Ashworth / Doztler / Davis
SG: Transfer / Johnson / Knox
SF: Transfer
PF: Miller / Green / McAndrew (log jam)
C: Transfer / Traudt / Vice

*Kalk?? I don’t know, obviously hope he stays.
*Trey is NBA or G-League bound.
*King and Lawson.. Transfer.

I don’t think Miller will ever be able to handle the ball well enough to play the three.. Also seems like he has no desire to ever drive to the rim - reminds me of Kaleb Korver in that regard lol. Anyone remember his awesome reverse layup?
Last edited by Bryant on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryant

Postby jayc13 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:30 am

Potentially losing the big 3 plus Bello is 70% of the scoring. I know other guys step up their game, but that's a lot. Not saying we're uconn, but they did exactly that this year and got better. You can't discount the impact of the portal and having an established winning culture.
jayc13

Postby CUGrads03 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:37 am

Bryant wrote:My predication

I don’t think Miller will ever be able to handle the ball well enough to play the three.. Also seems like he has no desire to ever drive to the rim.

Miller plays such a role position now, I wonder if that’s on purpose because of who we have or if it’s a limit to his skill set (probably both). Would be interesting to see if he puts weight on, if he even has the capability to become a “Baylor” type player or if he’s always going to be an “athletic” sniper.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 am

CUGrads03 wrote:

I don’t think Miller will ever be able to handle the ball well enough to play the three.. Also seems like he has no desire to ever drive to the rim.

Miller plays such a role position now, I wonder if that’s on purpose because of who we have or if it’s a limit to his skill set (probably both). Would be interesting to see if he puts weight on, if he even has the capability to become a “Baylor” type player or if he’s always going to be an “athletic” sniper.

It's probably a bit of both, but with Trey and Baylor on the floor, and then Kalk and Ashworth, the 5th guy on the floor just isn't getting a lot of shots

Usage this year (conference): Trey 27%, Baylor 25.3%, Kalk 20.9%, Ash 19.9%, Miller 11.0%, Bello 10.9%
Last year (conference): Kaluma 22.9%, Trey 22.1%, Baylor 21.7%, RyanN 19.7%, Kalk 19.6%, Miller (limited time 15.1%)

the extra shots we lost from Kaluma mostly went to Trey and Baylor this year, with Miller's usage really dropping due to how we ran the offense. I think we need a proven scorer at the 2, and it will have to be all hands on deck for offense next year
Chicagojayfan

Postby jaysfan3 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 am

Really trying not to get my hopes up with Trey but this response was interesting.

https://x.com/msottiletv/status/1774094 ... MG1uIfKxuw
jaysfan3

Postby jaysfan3 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:58 am

I don’t think Miller will ever be able to handle the ball well enough to play the three.. Also seems like he has no desire to ever drive to the rim - reminds me of Kaleb Korver in that regard lol. Anyone remember his awesome reverse layup?

Trey isn’t leaving our NIL to make 50k (?) in the G league.
jaysfan3

Postby Bryant » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 am

jaysfan3 wrote:

Trey isn’t leaving our NIL to make 50k (?) in the G league.

He would presumably be on a two way contact and be making like $500K.
Bryant

Postby sdebole059 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:30 am

I like miller and ashworth but I would try to upgrade those positions if possible
sdebole059

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:32 am

I think next years line up will be (no inside info just my thoughts)

SG: Transfer (maybe FF???)/ Johnson / Knox
SF: Miller
PF: Green / McAndrew
C: Transfer(hoping we get an extremely good grad transfer)/ Traudt(if we get a younger C transfer then I assume the staff has trust that issac can start next season at the 5. I really think he will end up a stud when he graduates)/Vice

Departures: (again I know nothing)
King:I like Fred a lot but his D regressed this season and with Mac having a good record on big men that’s on big Fred. His offense is great but his D is not. I think he transfers to a smaller school and dominates or heads back home to play pro ball.

Lawson: if he had redshirted I’d assume he’d be back but he didn’t. Probably one of the biggest transfer busts I can remember. Was he in the dog house from his outburst during the summer league games? Maybe. But Mac would not bench him for a whole season. From what I saw despite his length and shooting . He seems rather slow of foot and not very disciplined on D. I was thinking every time he was in was that he’d be a good small ball 5. Which shows he’s not fast enough to keep up with big East guards. When he got in against SH at home against their starters he had 2 Rebounds again showing his length. But 3 fouls in 3 mins(Good gosh)I maybe wrong but I don’t think he’s here next season.

I’m sure we will have walk ons that silently leave the team as well.
Jaysfan100

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops