2024 Offseason

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby Ethanfor3 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:58 pm

This will be an intriguing offseason.

NIL is changing the landscape substantially.

These guys can make significant money to play college basketball and develop their game if they're not quite ready for the NBA.

There were a few guys that left early, that I believe never would have left if NIL was where it is now.
    TSA
    Kyhri
    Zegarowski
    Patton

All of them had things about their profile that led me to believe their time in the NBA would be short lived and all would have benefitted from another year at CU. They were amazing college players that left before they were truly ready as they thought they would be better served developing in the league. The amount of international players that are on the scene now is taking away the fringe opportunities.

TSA and Zegarowski didn't have enough size or athleticism to have a great shot at the league

Kyhri had the athleticism, but wasn't a good enough ball handler for his size

Patton didn't have enough maturity to his game

I view Kalkbrenner and Trey the same as the guys above...as great college players but the chance of them making the league isn't great. Trey has yet to put on the strength and develop the ball handling to really do the things he needs to do in the league. Kalkbrenner also doesn't have the strength to play NBA centers in a man to man setting, or the offensive game to score against NBA Bigs.

I hope both stay, they could make a lot of money...continue to develop and then evaluate next year, but my gut tells me we've seen the last of them.
Last edited by Ethanfor3 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethanfor3

Postby sdebole059 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:00 pm

I feel very confident in King and/or Lawson leaving. Let’s get Dawgs in the portal…also Trey and Kalk probs leave but idk right now
sdebole059

Postby jayc13 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am

The Jays had 5 scholarship players leave last year, which makes sense since only 7 or 8 guys get the bulk of playing time. The odd thing about that was that 2 were returning starters getting lots of minutes. In a normal year the 5 not getting minutes are either developmental guys or will transfer out, whether by choice or not. This year, so far, 2 are gone to graduation, 2 are already in the portal, and 2 (Trey and Kalk) are undecided. Lots of moving pieces and potentially could be a mostly new 8 next year, at least for minutes. A very interesting off-season for Mac. This is the new normal for college basketball. Bama had 9 additions to this year's team, which is nuts.
jayc13

Postby Helmzy » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:23 am

Someone is interviewing today.
Helmzy

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:25 am

Helmzy wrote:Someone is interviewing today.

Miller.
bluejayfan00

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:41 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Helmzy wrote:Someone is interviewing today.

Miller.

Fresno state? He’s deserving of a mid major HC job. Great coach and elite recruiter, would really suck to lose him but Coach Mac has a proven track record of hiring great assistants
BenningtonBluejay

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm

No Trey apparently

Dough Boy

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:07 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Miller goes that Mason goes with him. Don’t know anything specific but that would make a lot of sense.
HandDownManDown

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:39 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Miller goes that Mason goes with him. Don’t know anything specific but that would make a lot of sense.

We have an interesting issue at the 4 spot. Green really came on late and was much more productive in his minutes vs Oregon and Tennessee. Our weakness in physicality with Mason at the 4 in both of those games was glaring. Now we have the top ranked recruit in Creighton history coming in to play the 4. How do these minutes get divided? Tough to take minutes away from a kid who has an uncle on staff and an nba dad who is very invested in the program. But at the same time starting Miller at the 4 seems like it caps our ceiling.
#RollJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm

#RollJays wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Miller goes that Mason goes with him. Don’t know anything specific but that would make a lot of sense.

We have an interesting issue at the 4 spot. Green really came on late and was much more productive in his minutes vs Oregon and Tennessee. Our weakness in physicality with Mason at the 4 in both of those games was glaring. Now we have the top ranked recruit in Creighton history coming in to play the 4. How do these minutes get divided? Tough to take minutes away from a kid who has an uncle on staff and an nba dad who is very invested in the program. But at the same time starting Miller at the 4 seems like it caps our ceiling.

I still think Miller's more of a 3 than a 4, but we switch the forwards a lot and did that this year with Baylor defending the 4 sometimes instead of the opposing 3. And while he needs to work on his handle and dribble drive, it's hard to do that much when you are the last scoring option on the floor and are getting around 11% usage
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops