Villanova Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Villanova Game Thread II

Postby #RollJays » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:56 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Are some fans really thinking McDermott is going to all of a sudden start playing our starters less…..in the Big East Tournament?

We’d have to be up 30. Honestly, I don’t care if we aren’t a team built to win on back to back or back to back to back nights as that isn’t the formula of the ncaa tournament or the regular season.
#RollJays

Postby vivid_dude » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:24 pm

#RollJays wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Are some fans really thinking McDermott is going to all of a sudden start playing our starters less…..in the Big East Tournament?

We’d have to be up 30. Honestly, I don’t care if we aren’t a team built to win on back to back or back to back to back nights as that isn’t the formula of the ncaa tournament or the regular season.

Totally agree. Although this may not be the right game thread to think a 30-point lead would be safe. But you’re correct. Depth would be nice. We don’t have it and our guys have proven they can handle the workload. Here’s hoping the aggregate never catches up.

A first round Big East blowout win would be nice to get our guys some rest. I’m not counting on any such games. This tourney will be a dogfight.
vivid_dude

Postby cu8493 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:34 pm

I don’t recall if anyone commented on Kings minute or so. I thought he looked a lot closer to last year King. Was not the disaster we have seen too often this year, and a nice block without fouling.
cu8493

Postby SDJay » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:35 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

Totally agree. Although this may not be the right game thread to think a 30-point lead would be safe. But you’re correct. Depth would be nice. We don’t have it and our guys have proven they can handle the workload. Here’s hoping the aggregate never catches up.

A first round Big East blowout win would be nice to get our guys some rest. I’m not counting on any such games. This tourney will be a dogfight.

+1
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:28 am

Pretty crazy game - from scorching hot offensively to very very cold, but managing to win on the road against a team that has probably the most effective weapon in attacking our defense (i.e., Dixon) is a great thing

Rebounding/Turnovers:
We generally did well on the boards w/53.4% TRBs, and Turnovers were generally in check at just 7.9% (versus 13.6% last time we played them). When we control those 2 things, we tend to win. We did have a couple stretches of Turnovers that led to points though (15 off of Turnovers for Nova) that could have sunk us, but these stats maybe control our future more than any other. When we keep teams off the boards and hold down our turnovers, we almost always have enough of a stretch offensively to win

Defense:
We came out super locked in on D, but Nova adjusted. The stretch of time when we had Baylor on the bench with his second foul really changed this game IMO. Not only did our offense suffer, but the D was put into more mismatches than it had been, that continued into the second half with them scoring over 1.2 PPP through the half.

Near the end there was a great moment when they ran the PnR to get Moore on Kalkbrenner again and Mac/Kalk fouled him using one of the fouls we had to give. Really good bit of smart basketball there

Overall a pretty good performance defensively holding them at just over 1 PPP for the game, and their 4th worst home game offensively (100.5 offensive game score)

Offense:
We were scorching hot in the first few minutes, but, obviously, that changed hard. I tend to think a lot of that was due to Baylor being on the bench with the second foul screwing up our offensive flow, but we got enough done to get by. Nova's generally been pretty good defensively this year, and we hit just enough shots after the hot streak to get the win

I really wish we'd been able to get the ball to Kalkbrenner more, but Nova was definitely doing what they could to stop that, but, even so, just regularly getting Kalk touches inside leads to better shots and opportunities, and keeps us from the hot/cold of shooting jumpers over and over.

Not one of our best, but not bad in the context of how well Nova plays D either - 103.5 offensive game score by BBall reference, but 10th worst of the year for us.

Individuals:
Trey - shows how mature and confident he is to make the defensive mistake to foul Dixon and then make the great play at the end of the game to hit the bucket. He also played ALL 40 minutes yesterday.
Baylor - continuing the push to be POY for the BE, I'm pretty convinced this would have been a much easier win if he hadn't gotten that 2nd foul in the first half
Kalk - They were doing everything they could to limit his opportunities in the paint yesterday, but he came up big when it mattered (even after the ankle roll)
Ashworth - seems to definitely be in a bit of a shooting slump (hope to heck it turns it around for the BE/NCAA Tourneys), but also contributed nicely yesterday, 8 assists, 7 boards, 2 steals w/ a couple of those assists on just, almost perfect passes to Kalk in the paint. As with some earlier games, he had a lot of rim in-and-out shots so hopefully those land during the tournaments
Miller - gave us some good minutes and hit some 3's that became important. Box score only says 1 board, but I thought he scrapped for more boards/loose balls than he got credit for, and his D was very good.

Bello is great, but I thought we were going small much of the second half with him and it hurt us a bit defensively. That said, there was a sequence where he was caught on a switch and had to block out one of their bigger guys - which he did aggressively, allowing Kalk to get the board, and then he was rewarded by getting the pass and hitting the 3 on the other end. That block out was just a sign of how good we were on the boards yesterday and how Bello does the little things so well

Bench was otherwise very short. Green showed some good minutes, and King even had a good minute

Overall - Same record in the BE as last year (14-6), but finish 2nd instead of 3rd, and we are only 1 win behind last year's total of 24. Team's had some ups and downs, but is rounding into shape nicely - 7-1 in the last 8 w/ only the road loss at St. Johns. Defense is generally playing pretty well and offensively, we are having some solid ball even on the road with some stretches of just beautiful basketball that should scare anyone we see in the NCAAs
Chicagojayfan

Postby Venturajay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 am

Nice win. Trey is perhaps the clutchest CU player in modern history. Final Four baby!!
Venturajay

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:05 am

To follow up on one point by the great post by ChicagoJay:

Our smaller ball lineup of SA, Bello and Trey has problems against teams that are long and athletic like Nova. This lineup is good at the end of games when trying not to turn the ball over and hit FT’s toward the end of games. But in the middle of games it causes matchup problems.

I think this was shown in the boxscore. Miller had the second best plus minus at plus 10 (trailing only Baylor at +12). Miller played only 22 minutes. Bello played 23 minutes and had by far the worst plus minus on the team at -15. Green by the way was -1 in 5 minutes. So we had 13 minutes without a PF.

Anyone agree or disagree?
SeattleJay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am

I can't decide between Trey, Baylor and Miller who gets my standout player award but I do give MVP to Baylor.
Trey gets best shot award, Miller gets Miller time award while King gets way to go award.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:58 am

This game reminded me of the 1978 NCAA Tournament game vs DePaul where we blew a 24 point first half lead and 14 point halftime lead. Those thoughts went away with Trey's shot.
drbluejay

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:09 pm

cu8493 wrote:I don’t recall if anyone commented on Kings minute or so. I thought he looked a lot closer to last year King. Was not the disaster we have seen too often this year, and a nice block without fouling.

Fred's stint (1:07):
— gave up a 3 on a switch to one of their best 3-point shooters
— good contest in drop on an Armstrong elbow pull-up to force a miss
— got inside position as Trey shot a 3 but was only able to get one hand up on the ball so he couldn't grab it, then tried to tap it out, but Hausen intercepted it
— Got very much out of position and was ball-watching but recovered to block Ware (Ware is not very good)
— Tried to get deep post position and Ware fouled him

So some good and some bad, but sample size was too small to draw any meaningful conclusions.
JacobPadilla

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops