Kalk/Trey - CU history?

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kalk/Trey - CU history?

Postby mel ott » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:14 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Oldtimer comments:
1. Bob Portman (I think) finished second in the nation in scoring AND rebounding one season and averaged 24 mpg over his career. I can still see his fallaway jumper from 15 feet (picture Trey, but a little deeper) Would have been even more deadly with a 3 point line.
2. Haven't seen anyone mention Benoit. Lack of team success hurts his cause, but deserves to be in the top 10.
3. Bob Harstad remains my favorite Jay. Nobody put out for Creighton like he did.
4. I echo the love forJosh Dotzler. He might have been a top 10 all timer if Bryan Mulllins hadn't run up on his heel.
5. Didn't see Silas play, but he's clearly No. 2 behind Doug.

good summary! Benoit was the most talented; but just didn't have the heart. Also, I saw him in the NBA lots of times and the same thing- more talent than most in the NBA;just not the want to for effort. Portman and Silas the other two top recruits nationally for CU ( other than Benoit) that are the best ever ( with Doug). Harstad was a beast.
mel ott

Postby Ethanfor3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 pm

I’ve been watching since the 70’s and there are so many great players.

My favorites, not necessarily most impactful:

Doug stands above

Mo for me was next…with Mo running the show that team had it all, a true final four team. I went to concert at the CHI the weekend after Mo got injured and I literally couldn’t take my eyes off of where the bench would be and cried (I know it’s sad)

Marcus and Kyhri were an amazing duo that were so fun to watch Marcus was incendiary and Kyhri was a tremendous stopper.

Loved Harstads grit, you always got a max effort.

The sears walker backcourt was amazing…such winners.

Benoit was the truth, so talented…but lazy. I sat in the front row student section back then and was amazed at the talent but sad at the unfulfilled potential.

Loved the zegarowski years he became the Creighton point guard for me…smart, great shooter and tough as nails. Knew he wouldn’t survive the NBA and wished he would give us another year, in the NIL era he might have.

So many great players and personal favorites and recency plays a part.

I love Kalk and Trey because of what they achieved and how they’ve done it. Team, class, unselfish…we’re truly blessed with teams and players we can be proud of.

I really want a Big East championship for Trey and Kalk this weekend…would be fitting.
Ethanfor3

Postby jaybacker11 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:58 pm

Baylor never had a shot to go to CU out of high school, so no reason to punish him as an all-time great b/c he wasn't here for 4 years. He definitely is a top-10 jay of all time. Would put Trey and Kalk in there too for sure.
jaybacker11

Postby mel ott » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:19 pm

jaybacker11 wrote:Baylor never had a shot to go to CU out of high school, so no reason to punish him as an all-time great b/c he wasn't here for 4 years. He definitely is a top-10 jay of all time. Would put Trey and Kalk in there too for sure.

I have no problem with Baylor in the top 10 or 8.
mel ott

Postby fritzpointer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:31 pm

Paul Silas was so special. I think Gene Harmon and Cyril Baptiste need a mention. Cyril like Ben was really gifted. Go Jays!!!
fritzpointer

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:04 am

“Re: Kalk/Trey - CU history?
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:44 pm
Baylor is getting 2nd and 3rd team All-American honors. Who else can say that?”

Corrected-

Not fair for guys still playing. Not fair for Jucos & Transfers. This argument is heavily leaning & biased to a large body of work (4-5 year players). However, both Kalk, Trey, & Baylor will probably leave at the end of this school year. Plus, to his credit, Baylor has built a nice body of work during his 2 years here. (Note: Portman, Stivrins, & Benjamin only spent 3 years on the hilltop.)

Any list of all-time greats begin with retired jerseys. In any order.

Doug McDermott
Bob Gibson
Paul Silas
Bob Portman
Bob Harstad
Kyle Korver

A Players “impact” - cumulative team accomplishments, player accomplishments, new record(s), championships, all factor in. As such Jucos/Transfers are at a distinct disadvantage: G Morrow, Jeff Day, Bookwood, Gibbs, Brody, Mo, Marcus Foster, Baylor, etc.

As for today’s players being ‘better’ than players 20, 30, 40 years ago? Bullshit.
I’d put Portman, Silas, Apke/Harmon, John C., & Eckker/Pietro up against anyone.
Same for Benjamin, Harstad/Dane Watts, Rodzilla, Walker, & Sears/Dotzler.

As for ‘AA’ status? Hmmm. Doug, Baylor, & Kalk aren’t CU’s only All-Americans. (Cr8n Wiki)

“All-Americans

Creighton's men's basketball program has produced 36 All-Americans in 94 seasons, beginning with Leonard F. "Jimmy" Lovley in 1923 and 1924.[12][40].

Silas, Apke, Benjamin, & McDermott were 3x AA’s.

1923: Leonard 'Jimmy' Lovley
1924: Leonard 'Jimmy' Lovley
1927: Sidney Corenman
1929: Werner 'Brud' Jensen, Center
1931: Maurice Van Ackeren, Forward
1933: Conrad Collin, Forward
1933: Arthur Kiely, Guard
1943: Ed Beisser, Center
1943: Ralph Langer, Forward
1958: Jim Berry
1959: Jim Berry
1959: Dick Harvey
1960: Jack Chapman
1960: Dick Hartmann
1960: Dick Harvey
1961: Herb Millard
1961: Chuck Officer
1962: Paul Silas, Center
1963: Paul Silas, Center
1964: Paul Silas, Center
1968: Bob Portman, Forward
1974: Gene Harmon, Forward
1976: Rick Apke, Forward
1977: Rick Apke, Forward
1978: Rick Apke, Forward
1983: Benoit Benjamin, Center
1984: Benoit Benjamin, Center
1985: Benoit Benjamin, Center
1985: Vernon Moore, Guard
1989: James Farr, Guard
1999: Rodney Buford, Guard
2002: Kyle Korver, Forward
2003: Kyle Korver, Forward
2007: Nate Funk, Guard
2007: Anthony Tolliver, Center
2009: Booker Woodfox, Guard
2012: Doug McDermott, Forward
2013: Doug McDermott, Forward
2014: Doug McDermott, Forward “
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:20 am

Gitmo, you lost me when you mentioned Johnny Coy and Jeffrey Day. Coy played for Wichita St and Jeffrey Day was terrible.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:20 am

Gtmo, Korver also has had jersey retired.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 am

Scheierman and Foster are giving me the most pause on my rankings. Is two years of A+ basketball enough to bump 3-4 years of A-/B+ basketball (graded on a curve)? In my mind, I don't quite get there, but maybe I should. You can certainly make the claim that they both were better players than some of the guys ahead of them on the list. And with Zegarowski and Ty-Shon (and almost certainly Trey) only playing three years, perhaps they are too high for the same reasons. Rankings are fun.

Thanks to everyone who named some Creighton legends before my time. I, of course, heard of each of those legends. What CU fan doesn't know the historic exploits of Werner "Brud" Jensen? Thanks, gtmo! James Farr had some solid stats in a timeframe where I would have been paying attention to college basketball, and for some reason, I have no recollection of him whatsoever, except for his time playing Corporal Klinger. (M*A*S*H* reference for the old-timers.)

Question in my mind: let's say the end of the season becomes storybook. Kalk wins Final Four MVP. He comes back in 2024-2025 and dominates again. He passes Kyle, right? Does he get mentioned as 1B to Doug? Crazy hypothetical for another day. Damn, that would be a fun conversation to have.
vivid_dude

Postby Trifecta » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:27 am

The age-old debate: short-term impact or longevity? Jordan or LeBron? I tend to favor the impact a player had on our program over how long they played for us.

A lot of the players listed could be jumbled around, but I think it would be hard to unseat McDermott and Korver as 1/2. McDermott for all the accolades and how he elevated CU's profile amid a conference change. Kyle has the same profile to a lesser extent, but he helped put Creighton on the map during his time here and make us a household name as a mid-major. He's NBA success definitely helps too.
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops