Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kalk/Trey - CU history?

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:45 pm

Speaking of Trey. This is outstanding. A must read that will make your day

https://stories.gocreighton.com/trey-al ... ment-time/
cujaysfan

Postby cr8onbb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:37 pm

cujaysfan wrote:Speaking of Trey. This is outstanding. A must read that will make your day

https://stories.gocreighton.com/trey-al ... ment-time/

Great read! If that doesn't get you excited for March, I don't know what will. Thursday can't come soon enough.
cr8onbb

Postby bird_call » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:45 pm

Interesting and fun debate.

Kalk, Trey, and Baylor still have a lot to show - if they win the Big East and make it to the Final Four we'll think of them very differently than if they lose in the round of 64.

Additionally, there's more to ranking a player than their on-court production. Korver, Silas, Tolliver, and Doug all had impacts far beyond their on-court production as a college basketball player. For the older legends, we already know how they impacted the program. For guys on the court today, we don't know how they'll reflect on the program in the future. I do not project any of them as impactful as Korver or McDermott, but who knows?
bird_call

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:08 pm

The double dip guys who were great players, but also coached here fit that bill.

Apke and McKenna would be two off the top of my head.
cujaysfan

Postby go_jays » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:53 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:In the last handful of years, it's become increasingly difficult to make the list in an order you feel good about. I think there's a few guys who stand above the rest, but after the initial few, you could name so many guys based on individual success, team success, individual talent, etc. It's sort of like comparing current athletes to guys from 40-50 years ago in pro sports. Guys now, in every sport, are so much more talented, skilled, and athletic as a whole. Guys who were unreal for us in the Valley at some point wouldn't have been the same level of player for us now in the Big East, but their resumes should still be respected for what they did, when they did it.

I think for now, taking everything into account, it's:

1. Doug
GAP
Next group: Korver, Buford, Silas, Kalk

then it gets complicated. Harstad, Gallagher, Gibson, Sears, Walker, Funk, Tolliver, Mo, Foster, Khyri, MZ, Ty-Shon, Trey, Baylor

Silas is hands down #2.. and could even challenge Doug for #1. Playing a schedule that was WAAAAY more difficult in the 60's than people realize when they were an independent... He was a 3-time All-American. DOMINATED the boards averaging 21 per game and scored 20 points a game for his career. Only 5 players in the history of college basketball have done that. Took us the Sweet Sixteen in '64 and a LOT MORE... Here's a link that puts it out there... https://gocreighton.com/honors/creighton-athletics-hall-of-fame/paul-silas/71
go_jays

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:24 pm

git's Top 25 Jays

Tier 1 Silas Portman Harstad McDermott Gibson

Tier 2 Korver Buford Harmon Apke Benjamin

Tier 3 Moore John C. Sears Honz Kalkbrenner

Tier 4 Tolliver B Walker Eckker Farr Wragge

Tier 5 Groselle D Watts J Jones Ty Alexander Dotzler

Honorable Mentions:
Willard* & Echenique*
Loveley Beisser Stinnett Manigat Harvey** Gallagher

* Olympians
** Dick Harvey, 1960's 2x AA; not gtmo. ;)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:03 pm

I always liked Doug Brookins.

He was a big sweaty thick waisted guy with a great jump shot with good range. The first stretch 5, the original lumberjack.

Being a sweaty thick waisted guy my self I could relate to Brookins. I got to meet him at Arch Madness, great guy.

I was sad to see when they honored the 1974 traveling Jays at our last home game that Doug had died and gone to heaven.
Angry Dan

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:08 pm

I also liked Cornell West and Robert Scrutchins. Great Bluejays
Angry Dan

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm

My rankings did not take into account the girth of our players’ waists or perspiration levels.
vivid_dude

Postby LJay » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:37 pm

Angry Dan wrote:I also liked Cornell West and Robert Scrutchins. Great Bluejays

Cornell Smith. “Nellie”

“Scrutch”
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops