Kalk/Trey - CU history?

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kalk/Trey - CU history?

Postby LJay » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:50 pm

Angry Dan wrote:I always liked Doug Brookins.

He was a big sweaty thick waisted guy with a great jump shot with good range. The first stretch 5, the original lumberjack.

Being a sweaty thick waisted guy my self I could relate to Brookins. I got to meet him at Arch Madness, great guy.

I was sad to see when they honored the 1974 traveling Jays at our last home game that Doug had died and gone to heaven.

So Brookins is gone, Mike Heck and Gene Harmon. Someone said five are gone. Who else?

Gene was the golf pro at the Knolls WAY back when it was a nine holer and the some of the flat that is now the front nine was a huge practice area. He let the CU golf team play and practice for free. He was a really nice guy. I never asked him about the baseline 10 footer he missed to beat Kansas in the Sweet 16 out of complete respect. I still remember the 30 footer from straight out to beat Houston. He was a really good player.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby omajay » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm

LJay wrote:
Angry Dan wrote:I always liked Doug Brookins.

He was a big sweaty thick waisted guy with a great jump shot with good range. The first stretch 5, the original lumberjack.

Being a sweaty thick waisted guy my self I could relate to Brookins. I got to meet him at Arch Madness, great guy.

I was sad to see when they honored the 1974 traveling Jays at our last home game that Doug had died and gone to heaven.

So Brookins is gone, Mike Heck and Gene Harmon. Someone said five are gone. Who else?

Gene was the golf pro at the Knolls WAY back when it was a nine holer and the some of the flat that is now the front nine was a huge practice area. He let the CU golf team play and practice for free. He was a really nice guy. I never asked him about the baseline 10 footer he missed to beat Kansas in the Sweet 16 out of complete respect. I still remember the 30 footer from straight out to beat Houston. He was a really good player.

Richie Smith
omajay

Postby SDJay » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:28 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:git's Top 25 Jays

Tier 1 Silas Portman Harstad McDermott Gibson

Tier 2 Korver Buford Harmon Apke Benjamin

Tier 3 Moore John C. Sears Honz Kalkbrenner

Tier 4 Tolliver B Walker Eckker Farr Wragge

Tier 5 Groselle D Watts J Jones Ty Alexander Dotzler

Honorable Mentions:
Willard* & Echenique*
Loveley Beisser Stinnett Manigat Harvey** Gallagher

* Olympians
** Dick Harvey, 1960's 2x AA; not gtmo. ;)

Nate Funk derives some love for his playing days. Multiple all conference teams, MVC tournament MVP, multiple NCAA appearances
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:49 pm

Nate was probably unfairly punished with a Korv backlash on recognition and awards

He was easily better and more deserving than the guard at SIU who beat him out for MVC POY
cujaysfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:52 pm

cujaysfan wrote:Nate was probably unfairly punished with a Korv backlash on recognition and awards

He was easily better and more deserving than the guard at SIU who beat him out for MVC POY

Nate was a heckuva player, and I think you're right, it was only in comparison to someone like Korver that he didn't look as good
Chicagojayfan

Postby Bluelulu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Vernon “Velvet” Moore was so fun to watch.

Vernon Moore was a standout men's basketball player from 1981-85 and still ranks 10th in program history with 1,654 career points. Creighton's first recruit under Willis Reed, Moore averaged 21.0 points per game as a senior when the 6-foot-2 guard shot an MVC-record 67.4 percent to also shatter the Creighton mark of 59.5 percent that he set as a junior. Moore also set a single-season mark with 52 steals as a junior, and led the team in assists per game three times. He was a Second Team All-MVC pick as a junior, then earned First Team honors as a senior in 1984-85. Moore still ranks in Creighton's top 10 in career field goal percentage (5th), field goals (7th), free throws made (8th), steals (8th) and assists (8th). Moore was drafted in the third round of the NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets in 1985 after earning Associated Press honorable-mention All-American acclaim.
Bluelulu

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Bluelulu wrote:Vernon “Velvet” Moore was so fun to watch.

Vernon Moore was a standout men's basketball player from 1981-85 and still ranks 10th in program history with 1,654 career points. Creighton's first recruit under Willis Reed, Moore averaged 21.0 points per game as a senior when the 6-foot-2 guard shot an MVC-record 67.4 percent to also shatter the Creighton mark of 59.5 percent that he set as a junior. Moore also set a single-season mark with 52 steals as a junior, and led the team in assists per game three times. He was a Second Team All-MVC pick as a junior, then earned First Team honors as a senior in 1984-85. Moore still ranks in Creighton's top 10 in career field goal percentage (5th), field goals (7th), free throws made (8th), steals (8th) and assists (8th). Moore was drafted in the third round of the NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets in 1985 after earning Associated Press honorable-mention All-American acclaim.

He was one of my favorite players back then. I was at the DePaul game in Omaha that we lost by 2 :(
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:54 pm

I'm updating my list. Just because.

I wish I could edit the thread title because Baylor should be on there.

1. Doug McDermott - still a huge gap between Doug and anyone else.
2. Kyle Korver - Kalk is right behind Kyle. Ryan, if you're reading this, come back another year and take over the #2 spot.
3. Ryan Kalkbrenner - see #2 above, Ryan. I know you're reading this.
4. Baylor Scheierman - I whiffed on excluding him in the original rankings. Is this too high for two years? Maybe. But I'm sticking with it.
5. Rodney Buford - Buford vs. Harstad and Zegarowski vs. Trey were toughest. Solid arguments for all players.
6. Bob Harstad
7. Trey Alexander - a tournament run in 2024/2025 puts you in the Top 4, Trey. I know you're basing your decision mostly on my rankings, so take this to heart.
8. Marcus Zegarowski
9. Marcus Foster
10. Ryan Sears

It was tough to bump Ty-Shon and Anthony Tolliver, but the Marcus Foster/Baylor arguments were too convincing.

Questioning my own list, I do wonder if having three players from the current team is an overdose of recency bias. And again, I only included players I watched. So, pre-Harstad won't make my cut, but clearly Silas, Apke, Portman, etc. would make any list.
vivid_dude

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:08 pm

Somebody has Geoffrey Groselle in their top 25 bluejays. He had a really good senior year but that is kind of crazy.
#RollJays

Postby DC_JAY » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:46 pm

I think Kalk is #2. Without him, this is a very different team. Three-time DPOY in a major conference. Eight NCAA Tournament wins. Before Kalk this was a team dreaming of the Sweet Sixteen. By his third and fourth years, this was a team dreaming of a Final Four.

Hope he comes back for another year with Trey and Ashworth.
DC_JAY

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops