NCAAT

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: NCAAT

Postby JayPharmAlum » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:09 pm

gocreightongo wrote:Clingan playing really well early.

If he had Kalk’s endurance and played 35-40 minutes a game, UConn would be unstoppable
JayPharmAlum

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:17 pm

You have to take a bunch of 3's and make a bunch of them to beat UCONN. I believe it is practically impossible to beat that team with a game in the high 50's or 60's. They played their worst half all year and are still up 5.
3ontheway

Postby vivid_dude » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:33 pm

Hearing the announcers talk about the broader landscape of college officiating was interesting. Stan Van Gandy said he’s watched 40 basketball games over the last few weeks and he’s shocked by how physical the play is and how much refs let players get away with. He said college basketball is quite a bit more physical than the NBA. Is this the new normal?

Also, Brad Underwood’s strategy to aggressively attack Clingan is not working.
vivid_dude

Postby LJay » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm

Just so proud of the team that they kicked UCONNs arse once this year. Huskies are just awesome.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby jayc13 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:41 pm

UConn shot it pretty poorly, especially from 3 at 18%, and won by 25. Their margin of error is pretty dam big and makes the butt whooping by the Jays that much more impressive.
jayc13

Postby Jaybird » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:46 pm

LJay wrote:Just so proud of the team that they kicked UCONNs arse once this year. Huskies are just awesome.

It's just stunning to think about. That was Connecticut's only loss this calendar year, and it's very possible that it will end up being UConn's only loss this ENTIRE calendar year. It's so cool to look at their team page in the official tournament program and see that nearly unbroken list of Ws interrupted by that one 19 point (we all know it should have been 20+) loss at Creighton, and then to think that the whole country is seeing that--or, at least, the saps like me who were willing to fork over 20 bucks to NCAA bandits for that official tournament program. And Clingon vs Edey should be fun, assuming that game happens. Jay Wright just called Clingon the second-best big in the country. Ouch. Or, maybe he means Edey's third

The Big East ended up banking 10 tournament units, nearly max production for just three teams. That should be a nice series of paydays coming up. In fact, by my count, the NCAA, including this tournament, is paying out 46 units to the Big East. (Creighton alone has earned 12 of them). Purely a guess, but that should be around 1.5 million per school. DePaul should give it back, but still.

EDIT: James Breeding on the job. Best of luck controlling your blood pressure, Bama and Clemson fans.

Saw a little of the CBI title game the other day. I'm hard core. Seattle won, but I mention it because Kellen Milliner was one of the refs. So, there was a former Jay coaching High Point, a former Jay playing for Seattle, and a former Jay officiating. Kinda cool.
Jaybird

Postby jays911 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:15 pm

Jaybird wrote:
LJay wrote:Just so proud of the team that they kicked UCONNs arse once this year. Huskies are just awesome.

It's just stunning to think about. That was Connecticut's only loss this calendar year, and it's very possible that it will end up being UConn's only loss this ENTIRE calendar year. It's so cool to look at their team page in the official tournament program and see that nearly unbroken list of Ws interrupted by that one 19 point (we all know it should have been 20+) loss at Creighton, and then to think that the whole country is seeing that--or, at least, the saps like me who were willing to fork over 20 bucks to NCAA bandits for that official tournament program. And Clingon vs Edey should be fun, assuming that game happens. Jay Wright just called Clingon the second-best big in the country. Ouch. Or, maybe he means Edey's third

The Big East ended up banking 10 tournament units, nearly max production for just three teams. That should be a nice series of paydays coming up. In fact, by my count, the NCAA, including this tournament, is paying out 46 units to the Big East. (Creighton alone has earned 12 of them). Purely a guess, but that should be around 1.5 million per school. DePaul should give it back, but still.

EDIT: James Breeding on the job. Best of luck controlling your blood pressure, Bama and Clemson fans.

Saw a little of the CBI title game the other day. I'm hard core. Seattle won, but I mention it because Kellen Milliner was one of the refs. So, there was a former Jay coaching High Point, a former Jay playing for Seattle, and a former Jay officiating. Kinda cool.

Watched the end. Huss and team got screwed on that flagrant. Didn’t know about Kellen. Thanks for sharing.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby BirdBoy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:13 pm

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that they beat 2 final four teams in the regular season but couldn't advance past the Sweet 16.
BirdBoy

Postby anotherjayfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:40 pm

Jays have been good enough the last two seasons to win it all and this is further evidence. Matchups did us in.

On the subjects of matchups -- If it's clear to the casual observer that physical on ball defense is our kryptonite, I wonder what the coaches have to say about it. Do they tweak their formula/recruit a little different or just accept that risk with all the upside that comes with our style?
anotherjayfan

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:23 am

I'm not sure the narrative that agressive/physical defense is CU's kryptonite is necessarily accurate.

Just the Tennessee game for example (I think they were a top 5 defnece?) the jays exceeded Tennessee's average shot% allowed by more than 10%, made 47% from 3 (admittedly they didn't get as many up as maybe they would have liked) and exceeded the vols' ppg by 10 or so. That game was lost because of a 5 minute lapse. Hell, they only turned it over 9 times.

The jays lost because of the lapse and getting beat pretty well on their defensive glass. They jays were toward the botton of the country in forcing turnovers and, without looking at each game, I'm guessing defensive rebounds were an issue in most losses. I'd focus on those areas more than anything else going forward. My 2 cents anyway
section221jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops