Akron Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Akron Game Thread

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:13 pm

jays34 wrote:on the roubounding, i'll add this. What appears to be a purposeful strategy, I've never quite understood. Kalk does a great job of sealing his man away from the board, but never seems to go after the ball himself. Like he's creating space for this teammate. Maybe my eyes decieve me, but I wish Kalk would just go grab the damn ball when its there.

Rebounding outside his area just isn't a strength of his. He's not a quick-twitch athlete with great hands who can go snatch the ball away from somebody.

I can guarantee you they're not telling him to not try for rebounds, but boxing out is definitely always the first step and it's a strength of his. It's part of what makes he and Baylor such a great fit together. Baylor's great at reading the ball of the rim and going to get it. Kalkbrenner's big and fundamentally sound, even if he isn't terribly quick to the ball.
JacobPadilla

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:00 pm

Realhoops wrote:
go_jays wrote:
jays34 wrote:on the roubounding, i'll add this. What appears to be a purposeful strategy, I've never quite understood. Kalk does a great job of sealing his man away from the board, but never seems to go after the ball himself. Like he's creating space for this teammate. Maybe my eyes decieve me, but I wish Kalk would just go grab the damn ball when its there.

Well, I don't know what the strategy is on that. But I'm gonna hazard a guess...

If that is indeed their tactic, then I'm guessing that 1) They would prefer Baylor to get the rebound so he can initiate the transition offense immediately... Whereas Kalk has to find his outlet. 2) Kalk is absolutely awesome at running the floor. Probably not anyone better in college basketball than him. He can beat so many other 5's down the floor... and easily if the other 5 is not accustom to running the floor like Kalk does. So it's purely a matter of maximizing their strengths. And it's also situational . It has to be be.

One of those questions that I'd love to ask Mac some day.

They have talked about that exact gameplan in postgames on a number of times.

Interesting. So "they" meaning the hosts... or Mac or one of the players?

BTW... I don't listen to post-games unless it's one of the TV announcers interviewing Mac or one of the players.
go_jays

Postby creightonotter » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:01 pm

go_jays wrote: BTW... I don't listen to post-games unless it's one of the TV announcers interviewing Mac or one of the players.

I know it isn't easy, depending on whether you're at the game, out of town, etc. But it well worth the time to listen to Coach Mac's postgame interview with Bishop on the radio broadcast after every game.

We are spoiled with as much as Mac will talk about Xs and Os in that rather short window after every game.

I highly recommend it. Our WBR postgame pieces usually include some of the best quotes from it, but the whole thing is worth a listen if you can.
creightonotter

Postby Realhoops » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:30 pm

go_jays wrote:
Realhoops wrote:
go_jays wrote:Well, I don't know what the strategy is on that. But I'm gonna hazard a guess...

If that is indeed their tactic, then I'm guessing that 1) They would prefer Baylor to get the rebound so he can initiate the transition offense immediately... Whereas Kalk has to find his outlet. 2) Kalk is absolutely awesome at running the floor. Probably not anyone better in college basketball than him. He can beat so many other 5's down the floor... and easily if the other 5 is not accustom to running the floor like Kalk does. So it's purely a matter of maximizing their strengths. And it's also situational . It has to be be.

One of those questions that I'd love to ask Mac some day.

They have talked about that exact gameplan in postgames on a number of times.

Interesting. So "they" meaning the hosts... or Mac or one of the players?

BTW... I don't listen to post-games unless it's one of the TV announcers interviewing Mac or one of the players.

I've heard Mac, Kalk, Baylor all answer questions about the rebounding by referring to the emphasis on Kalk pinning his man and the guards coming in hard to get boards and start the offense, during the immediate post-game interviews.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:34 pm

creightonotter wrote:
go_jays wrote: BTW... I don't listen to post-games unless it's one of the TV announcers interviewing Mac or one of the players.

I know it isn't easy, depending on whether you're at the game, out of town, etc. But it well worth the time to listen to Coach Mac's postgame interview with Bishop on the radio broadcast after every game.

We are spoiled with as much as Mac will talk about Xs and Os in that rather short window after every game.

I highly recommend it. Our WBR postgame pieces usually include some of the best quotes from it, but the whole thing is worth a listen if you can.

Ya know what... I forgot all about the fact that Mac did a radio post game. When we were in the Valley, I had to listen to the radio cast because we hardly got much TV coverage. And I used to listen to it religiously.

Duh...
go_jays

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops