Akron Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Akron Game Thread

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:33 am

Ashworth played a great game. He passed it around and didn’t really shot hunt, even after sinking his first two.

I’m really encouraged by his effort. We soooo need more of that from him.
HandDownManDown

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Akron took 66 shots and we took 46 shots. It’s hard to win games when the other team takes that many more shots.

What did we do wrong? We turned the ball over too much. We were beaten on the offensive glass.

What did we do right?
We shot a lot more FT’s
We hit a high percentage of our shots and a fair number of 3 point shots.

You do need to factor in the free throws if you're making that comparison. Shooting possessions were 69 to 56 — still a significant gap, but not 20. +9 in TOs and -4 in OREBs makes up that difference.
JacobPadilla

Postby Jaysfan100 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:06 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Ashworth played a great game. He passed it around and didn’t really shot hunt, even after sinking his first two.

I’m really encouraged by his effort. We soooo need more of that from him.

Saving it for tomorrow I’m hoping.
Jaysfan100

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:18 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Akron took 66 shots and we took 46 shots. It’s hard to win games when the other team takes that many more shots.

What did we do wrong? We turned the ball over too much. We were beaten on the offensive glass.

What did we do right?
We shot a lot more FT’s

You do need to factor in the free throws if you're making that comparison. Shooting possessions were 69 to 56 — still a significant gap, but not 20. +9 in TOs and -4 in OREBs makes up that difference.

Jacob,
I know you are a busy guy and do a great job. Shooting FT’s was one of my explanations. Perhaps, I wasn’t clear. My intent was to highlight by us not fouling and us getting to the line , was a partial reason for the total shot differential.

Not fouling and getting fouled is a good differentiator.
SeattleJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:

What did we do right?
We shot a lot more FT’s

Jacob,
I know you are a busy guy and do a great job. Shooting FT’s was one of my explanations. Perhaps, I wasn’t clear. My intent was to highlight by us not fouling and us getting to the line , was a partial reason for the total shot differential.

Not fouling and getting fouled is a good differentiator.

I was just providing the specific numbers to complete the point. Don't think the "let them take 20 more shots" means anything on its own; shooting possessions is what's important.
JacobPadilla

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:03 am

It's been mentioned several times lately that when we make 10 or more 3 pointers, we win. No kidding. So how do you get to 10? You have to have enough volume to get the percentages to work out. OR, you have to shoot lights out. I know which one I'd rather make as my goal. The only way you get that kind of volume is to maintain a high number of possessions. The only way you do that is to not turn the ball over. Duh...

And, of course, the opposite it true... limit your opponents offensive rebounds... especially with our defensive philosophy of not fouling, which equals not creating a lot of steals/turnovers on their part. So, bottom line there is... if you aren't going for steals, you'd better rebound the basketball.

I think sometimes we are so intent on getting out in transition, that we don't get enough guys rebounding. It's a fine line, for sure.
go_jays

Postby jays34 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am

on the roubounding, i'll add this. What appears to be a purposeful strategy, I've never quite understood. Kalk does a great job of sealing his man away from the board, but never seems to go after the ball himself. Like he's creating space for this teammate. Maybe my eyes decieve me, but I wish Kalk would just go grab the damn ball when its there.
jays34

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am

jays34 wrote:on the roubounding, i'll add this. What appears to be a purposeful strategy, I've never quite understood. Kalk does a great job of sealing his man away from the board, but never seems to go after the ball himself. Like he's creating space for this teammate. Maybe my eyes decieve me, but I wish Kalk would just go grab the damn ball when its there.

Well, I don't know what the strategy is on that. But I'm gonna hazard a guess...

If that is indeed their tactic, then I'm guessing that 1) They would prefer Baylor to get the rebound so he can initiate the transition offense immediately... Whereas Kalk has to find his outlet. 2) Kalk is absolutely awesome at running the floor. Probably not anyone better in college basketball than him. He can beat so many other 5's down the floor... and easily if the other 5 is not accustom to running the floor like Kalk does. So it's purely a matter of maximizing their strengths. And it's also situational . It has to be be.

One of those questions that I'd love to ask Mac some day.
go_jays

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:03 pm

Kalk is not a natural rebounder. He doesn't get off the floor quickly at all, and he fumbles caroms or gets them poked free quite a bit. From a strategic standpoint, I don't think Mac wants Kalk going after boards super aggressively on either end and probably has been instructed to be careful there. It risks picking up a cheap foul or 2 and without him on the floor for a long stretch because of foul trouble at this stage would be a disaster barring some miracle with Fred or IT.
3ontheway

Postby Realhoops » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 pm

go_jays wrote:
jays34 wrote:on the roubounding, i'll add this. What appears to be a purposeful strategy, I've never quite understood. Kalk does a great job of sealing his man away from the board, but never seems to go after the ball himself. Like he's creating space for this teammate. Maybe my eyes decieve me, but I wish Kalk would just go grab the damn ball when its there.

Well, I don't know what the strategy is on that. But I'm gonna hazard a guess...

If that is indeed their tactic, then I'm guessing that 1) They would prefer Baylor to get the rebound so he can initiate the transition offense immediately... Whereas Kalk has to find his outlet. 2) Kalk is absolutely awesome at running the floor. Probably not anyone better in college basketball than him. He can beat so many other 5's down the floor... and easily if the other 5 is not accustom to running the floor like Kalk does. So it's purely a matter of maximizing their strengths. And it's also situational . It has to be be.

One of those questions that I'd love to ask Mac some day.

They have talked about that exact gameplan in postgames on a number of times.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops