Akron Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Akron Game Thread

Postby SeattleJay » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Mason Miller +23 in 25 minutes. Best plus minus on the team. Mason looked solid on defense and hit some big buckets.

Glad we played 30+ minutes with our bigger lineup.
SeattleJay

Postby go_jays » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:50 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Mason Miller +23 in 25 minutes. Best plus minus on the team. Mason looked solid on defense and hit some big buckets.

Yes, that bodes well for us against Oregon and Evans. If Mason can get that same type of +/- vs Evans, we're golden.

But I have to say, Hunter was a paper tiger. He was practically invisible against us... similar to his game against Kent state. Hopefully, that was due to Mason's play.

Evans is dangerous because he's a garbage guy. And those guys can be the difference in close games.

Otherwise, they are pretty small. And we can usually handle small.
go_jays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:15 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Mason Miller +23 in 25 minutes. Best plus minus on the team. Mason looked solid on defense and hit some big buckets.

In an interview Kalkbrenner gave after the game he talked about how he's always encouraging Miller to take shots.

""I keep telling him, if you shoot 18 threes I like our chances to winning.”

https://twitter.com/HurrdatSports/statu ... 6276422728
Chicagojayfan

Postby go_jays » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:47 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:

In an interview Kalkbrenner gave after the game he talked about how he's always encouraging Miller to take shots.

Yeah, and he and Baylor both talked about the turnovers in the fist half. Telling you, it's an achilles heel.
go_jays

Postby BBfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:58 am

go_jays wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

Yeah, and he and Baylor both talked about the turnovers in the fist half. Telling you, it's an achilles heel.

The careless turnovers are all the more surprising since Mac talks about the lesson from last year is that every possession counts. I have heard Mac mention that several times in interviews, and I would think he is repeating that to the players.
BBfan

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 am

Here's a giant Morning After recap over on WBR, with key stats, highlights, analysis, quotes and more:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/morning- ... egon-next/
WBR Tom

Postby drbluejay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:28 am

Angry Dan wrote:Freeman with 21 point but he needed 21 shots.

I also believe he was only 3 for 9 the 2nd half. Kalk dominated him on both ends of the court. The only thing Freeman had was that hook shot along with lucky 3's in the first half.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 am

Kalk wins my standout player award but our top 6 guys all stood out in different ways. Even Bello had one of the sweetest passes of the game.
drbluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:56 am

go_jays wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

No doubt it's a potential issue, but I wouldn't call it an Achilles heel. We don't turn it over all that much, but when we do, that's a big part of us losing. Turnover % as of 100 plays is a good way to figure out if there are a lot of turnovers when adjusted for pace.

We've been at 14.9% or more only 10 times this year, but 5 of our losses are in that mix. @Marquette, Nova (OT), @UConn, @UNLV, and @Providence

Yesterday was pretty bad as we were at 20.1%, but we can't afford a game like that if we aren't rebounding shooting exceptionally well (58.1% of total rebounds yesterday- 9th best of the year, and a .674 eFG% 6th best of the year for us)

What's annoying Mac, I'm sure, is that while some were due to their pressure, many were a bit careless and could easily be cleaned up. Better do that before this game with Oregon as their run at the end of the season has been fueled by Turnovers (over 18% by AZ and Colorado to win their conference tourney)
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 am

Akron took 66 shots and we took 46 shots. It’s hard to win games when the other team takes that many more shots.

What did we do wrong? We turned the ball over too much. We were beaten on the offensive glass.

What did we do right?
We shot a lot more FT’s
We hit a high percentage of our shots and a fair number of 3 point shots.
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops