2024 Transfer Portal

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Postby bleedblue » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 am

FWIW Evan Miakawa has Richmond as the best player to ever enter the portal. I was never impressed with the inefficiency of Richmond but he apparently is viewed by a lot of others as a star.
bleedblue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 am

Torvik likes Richmond too. His numbers were skewed this year because he played much of the year with a back injury. If you watched him in the NIT, he was able to take over games only in short bursts. In additon, Tyrese Samuel and Ndefo were gone this season, limiting the Hall's inside game. Samuel's usage last year was 23, Bediako's this year was 16.9. As a result, Richmond's usage rose 6 pts this year, reflecting he was asked to do more.
He still managed to finish the year with 15.7 pig, 7 rb, 5.1 assists. The main downside was he shot 27% on 3s, but he shot 44-4,34.5, 33.3 on 3 pointers his first 3 years so he's capable.

I have no idea if he's worth $1 million because I don't know who's getting what. But he could turn the right team into a FF contender.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby LJay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:38 am

89 - 60
LJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Torvik likes Richmond too. His numbers were skewed this year because he played much of the year with a back injury. If you watched him in the NIT, he was able to take over games only in short bursts. In additon, Tyrese Samuel and Ndefo were gone this season, limiting the Hall's inside game. Samuel's usage last year was 23, Bediako's this year was 16.9. As a result, Richmond's usage rose 6 pts this year, reflecting he was asked to do more.
He still managed to finish the year with 15.7 pig, 7 rb, 5.1 assists. The main downside was he shot 27% on 3s, but he shot 44-4,34.5, 33.3 on 3 pointers his first 3 years so he's capable.

I have no idea if he's worth $1 million because I don't know who's getting what. But he could turn the right team into a FF contender.

I think Bartorvik likes him because he really is a stat stuffer all across the board - he has a lot of assists, scores a lot of points, hits the boards and even gets a lot of steals. That mostly helps to offset his inefficiency. While he has been better from 3 PT range (notably the year before last year), his overall offensive efficiency isn't all that different for his career. eFG% of .438 for his 4 years of play - .472, .406, .450, .439 to go year by year, (no idea why his 2 PT rates have varied so much, but either way, he's mostly ended up in the same places from an efficiency standpoint

And while he did play well in the NIT, he only had 1 game above 50% shooting out of 5, including an ugly OT game against St. Joes that could have sent them home early in the tourney

He's very, very talented and brings a lot to the table, but I just don't think he makes someone a FF contender given how he's played, and given that he's played 4 years, I don't know that his game will change that substantially and if I'm a high major coach, I'd rather take a shot with 2 or 3 very good players for that 1M
Chicagojayfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:Torvik likes Richmond too. His numbers were skewed this year because he played much of the year with a back injury. If you watched him in the NIT, he was able to take over games only in short bursts. In additon, Tyrese Samuel and Ndefo were gone this season, limiting the Hall's inside game. Samuel's usage last year was 23, Bediako's this year was 16.9. As a result, Richmond's usage rose 6 pts this year, reflecting he was asked to do more.

I think Bartorvik likes him because he really is a stat stuffer all across the board - he has a lot of assists, scores a lot of points, hits the boards and even gets a lot of steals. That mostly helps to offset his inefficiency. While he has been better from 3 PT range (notably the year before last year), his overall offensive efficiency isn't all that different for his career. eFG% of .438 for his 4 years of play - .472, .406, .450, .439 to go year by year, (no idea why his 2 PT rates have varied so much, but either way, he's mostly ended up in the same places from an efficiency standpoint

And while he did play well in the NIT, he only had 1 game above 50% shooting out of 5, including an ugly OT game against St. Joes that could have sent them home early in the tourney

He's very, very talented and brings a lot to the table, but I just don't think he makes someone a FF contender given how he's played, and given that he's played 4 years, I don't know that his game will change that substantially and if I'm a high major coach, I'd rather take a shot with 2 or 3 very good players for that 1M

The counterpoint would be Tristen Newton.

I also highly value efficiency, but you have to consider role and surrounding talent when comparing and evaluating players. Richmond was No. 1 on every scouting report, and what he did played a big part in Dre Davis having the season he did.
JacobPadilla

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm

Yup, Newton and Richmond both appear inefficient from the numbers. Yet, I believe both were voted first team BE by the coaches. This suggests that they brought pretty substantial value outside of standard measures.

You guys are much deeper into basketball metrics than I am, but it seems that standard metrics are not particularly good at measuring defensive contributions.
SeattleJay

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 pm

Tomorrow is, I believe, the last day to declare for the NBA draft (until midnight).
SeattleJay

Postby LJay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Kalk has to come back now for the December 4 theater, amIright?!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Tomorrow is, I believe, the last day to declare for the NBA draft (until midnight).

FWIW, that's the early entree deadline, so it would apply to Trey. Having completed four years of college eligibility, I believe Kalk is automatically eligible for the draft. I haven't paid super close attention to how this has worked for super seniors over the last few years and how the decision timeline works for those guys.
JacobPadilla

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Tomorrow is, I believe, the last day to declare for the NBA draft (until midnight).

FWIW, that's the early entree deadline, so it would apply to Trey. Having completed four years of college eligibility, I believe Kalk is automatically eligible for the draft. I haven't paid super close attention to how this has worked for super seniors over the last few years and how the decision timeline works for those guys.

Great point on Kalk
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops