2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Postby HinkyDinky » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:32 am

vivid_dude wrote:Back to the topic…

Frankie Fidler will almost certainly be mentioned as a Creighton target. Has already online. Watching a bit of tape, looks like someone whose game would transition to higher competition, ala our other recent starting transfers. Anybody seen him a lot more than the 10 minutes of highlights I watched think similarly?

I go to most Omaha games also and here is my uneducated opinion. Fidler is a very good offensive player who can score at all levels. Takes contact very well and is not afraid of it. That said, calls he gets in the Summit would not get called in the Big East nor would he get in lane as easily. Is not afraid to rebound and is a solid passer. His handles need work and as mentioned he is not quick, and would be a defensive liability. Also seems like he can zone out of a game at times. Comparable to Sam Griesel with Fidler getting the edge offensively. Would love to have him as a role player, but do not think he is a 30 minute a game player.
HinkyDinky

Postby bird_call » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 pm

HinkyDinky wrote: Would love to have him as a role player, but do not think he is a 30 minute a game player.

With Coach Mac's recent history of completely ignoring his bench should role-players even be discussed? Not to derail the conversation, but I can't imagine any bench guy being excited to transfer to Creighton with the hope of getting 5 minutes of play as a 7th man.
bird_call

Postby Dough Boy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 pm

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Back to the topic…

Frankie Fidler will almost certainly be mentioned as a Creighton target. Has already online. Watching a bit of tape, looks like someone whose game would transition to higher competition, ala our other recent starting transfers. Anybody seen him a lot more than the 10 minutes of highlights I watched think similarly?

Dough Boy

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 pm

bird_call wrote:
HinkyDinky wrote: Would love to have him as a role player, but do not think he is a 30 minute a game player.

With Coach Mac's recent history of completely ignoring his bench should role-players even be discussed? Not to derail the conversation, but I can't imagine any bench guy being excited to transfer to Creighton with the hope of getting 5 minutes of play as a 7th man.

This is an interesting conversation. Does Mac lean on his starters so much because it's simply what he does? Or is it due to a significant gap between the talent-level of his starters and the guys riding the pine that the "strategy" is forced out of necessity? Mac clearly has a short leash with non-starters and/or players who haven't fully earned his trust. If the talent level on the roster balances out, by either the starters not being as outstanding as Baylor/Kalk/Trey (best threesome in the country) or the bench players stepping up to TAKE minutes (that seems to be the thing that doesn't happen), you wonder if the dynamic changes. It'd have to, wouldn't it?

If Creighton goes hard at one or two high-level portal transfers (back to this thread) and you have McAndrew/Ty/LJ coming in to join the returning roster - that talent might balance out. Back to bird_call's question though - is a small role something portal players would want? Not many. The exception might be a KeyShawn Feazell/Kelvin Jones type player. We used to affectionately refer to them as big bangers.
vivid_dude

Postby OKBluejay » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 pm

The Summit League has hovered in the transition zone between mid-major and low-major over the last few seasons, so it's hard to project how players from that league will do against higher competition. Baylor was physically mature and had a good mixture of size and guard skills, so it was easier to project that he would do well, though it even took him some time to adjust, and his elite 3-point shooting percentages at SDSU never really translated to the Big East. On the other hand, Andrew Rohde, who had a great freshman season at St. Thomas and also has a good mixture of size and guard skills, struggled badly at UVA this season.

Can Fidler be a contributor at the 3 position in the Big East? The Jays already have a logjam at the 4 position next season with McAndrew coming in.
OKBluejay

Postby GoatGibbs » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 pm

I think the consensus on Fidler is that the staff would take a flier on him. Kind of a square peg in the roster as it's constructed. Given what's floating out there for his NIL figures I doubt it's going to happen for us. I would rather NU pay that kind of money for a kid that might not materialize on the defensive end of the floor.

I just don't see them speculating on a kid defensively this year with kalk probably gone. More likely we'll see them get a scoring 2 and a kalk replacement. The two guys we're connected to so far support that - amari williams and pierre.

For the record amari williams would be a huge get and we spend really competitively on bigs.
GoatGibbs

Postby Jaybird » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:I think the consensus on Fidler is that the staff would take a flier on him. Kind of a square peg in the roster as it's constructed. Given what's floating out there for his NIL figures I doubt it's going to happen for us. I would rather NU pay that kind of money for a kid that might not materialize on the defensive end of the floor.

I just don't see them speculating on a kid defensively this year with kalk probably gone. More likely we'll see them get a scoring 2 and a kalk replacement. The two guys we're connected to so far support that - amari williams and pierre.

For the record amari williams would be a huge get and we spend really competitively on bigs.

You keep telling us Kalk is gone. You seem to make a point of it in a lot of your posts (If I’ve got you mixed up with someone else, apologies). But nobody else seems to know, or at least they’re not saying.

So, do you have solid intel, or are you guessing?
Jaybird

Postby omajay » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:13 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:I think the consensus on Fidler is that the staff would take a flier on him. Kind of a square peg in the roster as it's constructed. Given what's floating out there for his NIL figures I doubt it's going to happen for us. I would rather NU pay that kind of money for a kid that might not materialize on the defensive end of the floor.

What is the fascination with Pierre? He averaged 6 minutes a game and 1.8 points per game.
omajay

Postby NUgradCUfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm

Jaybird wrote:

You keep telling us Kalk is gone. You seem to make a point of it in a lot of your posts (If I’ve got you mixed up with someone else, apologies). But nobody else seems to know, or at least they’re not saying.

So, do you have solid intel, or are you guessing?

He said Kalk is gonna enter the portal if NBA doesn't draft him so he can make over a million on his final year of eligibility somewhere.

And no way on Pierre.
NUgradCUfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops