2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:02 pm

Trifecta wrote:
LJay wrote:So the new normal will be all players will enter the portal to see if they can get more elsewhere (facetious)?

By many reports, Mac has proved that he’ll move on and close the door on a return so you better factor all possibilities before playing that gambit.

Yes? This is a business now... Both ways. It's widespread in football and basketball is going the same way. You have to recruit your own roster each year.

+1 - assume every starter at creighton is being tampered with at all times. Entering the portal just means they can respond without having to be clandestine.

Trey turned down money from multiple schools to come back last year. Kalk probably has too. Baylor was probably entertaining an offer from Creighton and others while he was at SDSU - I know Duke/UK were really pushing for him. Chucky Hepburn has had UNL throw money at him twice. Patrick McCaffrey is leaving for a bag this year and his dad is his coach!

Thankfully, creighton is in a great spot portal-wise. We're in the second tier financially in the Big East but we've demonstrated that this is one of the best places in the country to be developed and have your skillset put on display. Kaluma and Nembhard leaving and failing to elevate their profiles honestly helped.
GoatGibbs

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:14 pm

LJay wrote:So the new normal will be all players will enter the portal to see if they can get more elsewhere (facetious)?

By many reports, Mac has proved that he’ll move on and close the door on a return so you better factor all possibilities before playing that gambit.

A note on 'closing the door' and few notes that might be a little "inside baseball" re: recruiting today:

Based on some people I've talked to he didn't really close a door to Nembhard, but the Ashworth stuff moved so quickly that by the time UNC reallocated Nembhard's NIL to Caleb Love, who was supposed to go to Michigan, the admin wasn't able to honor him which is how he ended up at Gonzaga. You might remember some automatic crystal balls for Nembhard -> Zona that ended up getting rescinded.

"Closing the door" is pretty bad business unless other people around the circuit can agree that it's for good reason. Maybe a kid punched a student manager or gets in legal trouble, but just "looking elsewhere" says to the entire pool of AAU/HS/Prep prospects that your opportunities are limited at school X. A lot of older coaches didn't want to adapt to this and rightfully so, they had skills that weren't congruent and the world changed fast.

The way recruits think now isn't "here's where I'll be for 4 years", it's "here's the best initial opportunity for me". A lot more depth at the high major level is built out by total projects now than used to be, because the opportunity cost for a good freshman to sit is higher than it used to be. Creighton's done a great job developing kids for their transfers and it's become a really attractive destination for that reason. Look how well the (young) kids that transferred out last year performed. It only helps bring in better talent. For a lot of kids, it's a better investment to come to Creighton (or equivalent), sit for a year and play on the scout team, then get that brand attached to them for when they hop in the portal. It's better than fostering bad blood.
GoatGibbs

Postby LJay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:32 pm

I can agree with that and still believe that if Kalk (for example only) wants to “test the market and see if he can get more” may find that CU has already landed the Stanford kid (for example, no connection noted at this time).

Thus, if your idea is to “test the waters” thinking you have a fallback to your old school you may learn a life lesson.

Query: How many kids in last year’s portal ended up without a scholarship let alone NIL Collective money? My cloudy memory from a similar thread last year is the % was shockingly high.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:44 pm

LJay wrote:I can agree with that and still believe that if Kalk (for example only) wants to “test the market and see if he can get more” may find that CU has already landed the Stanford kid (for example, no connection noted at this time).

Thus, if your idea is to “test the waters” thinking you have a fallback to your old school you may learn a life lesson.

Query: How many kids in last year’s portal ended up without a scholarship let alone NIL Collective money? My cloudy memory from a similar thread last year is the % was shockingly high.

1. Not every relationship is the same. It's likely that if Kalk were in the portal for that reason then it would be a really transparent process to help creighton build its roster (again, speculating that this is even happening). If a player of his caliber even goes through that process it's usually 90% predetermined and the school departing has a good idea what they can expect. Hunter Dickinson's process last year is a really good comp. In that case, he wouldn't THINK he has a fallback, he would KNOW (or know he doesn't)

2. A really high number, maybe 60%? The ones that won't land aren't really in creighton's talent pool. Mostly kids looking to hop up on bad guidance or move down with red flags, or just fringe players that play basketball as a means to get an education and end up hanging up their sneakers. That percentage applies broad, broad criteria to a myriad of circumstances.

I'll add, the ones that get an edit and a prominent announcement that they enter the portal usually enter with some form of representation and are probably 90%~ likely to get a spot somewhere, maybe the 10% aren't academic qualifiers or left with a bad recommendation. I would guess based on experience that the bulk of that 60% are moving around the Low-major/DII level without a lot of visibility. Think of the amount of time it takes to scout 1,100 basketball players. Each school might have 3 spots.
GoatGibbs

Postby #RollJays » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:32 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:
Trifecta wrote:

Yes? This is a business now... Both ways. It's widespread in football and basketball is going the same way. You have to recruit your own roster each year.

+1 - assume every starter at creighton is being tampered with at all times. Entering the portal just means they can respond without having to be clandestine.

Trey turned down money from multiple schools to come back last year. Kalk probably has too. Baylor was probably entertaining an offer from Creighton and others while he was at SDSU - I know Duke/UK were really pushing for him. Chucky Hepburn has had UNL throw money at him twice. Patrick McCaffrey is leaving for a bag this year and his dad is his coach!

Thankfully, creighton is in a great spot portal-wise. We're in the second tier financially in the Big East but we've demonstrated that this is one of the best places in the country to be developed and have your skillset put on display. Kaluma and Nembhard leaving and failing to elevate their profiles honestly helped.

Who is in the first tier? UConn by itself?
#RollJays

Postby #RollJays » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:
Trifecta wrote:

Who is in the first tier? UConn by itself?
#RollJays

Postby omajay » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

Goodman tweeted that six BE schools have NIL budgets of $2 million plus. And either Goodman or another national guy reported Nova spent $3 million.

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/17698 ... f4rBH2nRlw
omajay

Postby HoopsFan01 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:47 am

omajay wrote:Goodman tweeted that six BE schools have NIL budgets of $2 million plus. And either Goodman or another national guy reported Nova spent $3 million.

Who at Creighton receives this NIL? All of the starting 5 I'd assume. Do any of the bench guys? Like Farabello? Troudt? King? Did Lawson get some to come here?

So say Creighton's NIL budget is $2.5m, how is it decided who gets what portion of that budget? And is it broken up evenly for each guy or do some get more?
HoopsFan01

Postby jaysfan3 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am

HoopsFan01 wrote:
omajay wrote:Goodman tweeted that six BE schools have NIL budgets of $2 million plus. And either Goodman or another national guy reported Nova spent $3 million.

Who at Creighton receives this NIL? All of the starting 5 I'd assume. Do any of the bench guys? Like Farabello? Troudt? King? Did Lawson get some to come here?

So say Creighton's NIL budget is $2.5m, how is it decided who gets what portion of that budget? And is it broken up evenly for each guy or do some get more?

The whole team. I heard originally that they all got equal but I am going to guess that’s not true anymore.
jaysfan3

Postby Realhoops » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 am

HoopsFan01 wrote:

Most of that is not immediately available public information. And the NIL comes from multiple sources. There is a collective, but there are also other groups that come up with NIL money, there are individual deals that players can get, etc. When this all sort of started being a thing a few years ago, there was a report that the primary "pot" was being evenly divided amongst every player on the roster and that that was part of the mindset / culture of team over individuals. But the whole climate has changed radically since then, so there is likely a really, really good chance that has changed, too.

I would suspect that every single player on the roster is getting *something* -- but the top guys are certainly getting more than someone like Brock Vice, for example. And now, when NIL becomes part of the deal in trying to get kids to transfer here, they are going to get their own individual deals that can include a lot of things beyond just money.

Separately, sort of similar to thinking of coaching salaries, it's also worth keeping in mind how far money might go here in Omaha vs. if you are looking for an NIL deal to live and play in Manhattan, NY. A little different because players are necessarily only here temporarily where the cost-of-living, etc., is a longer term consideration for coaches, but not entirely irrelevant to the equation, I'd think.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops