2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Postby HoopsFan01 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 am

Thanks for the insight both of you!
HoopsFan01

Postby CUGrads03 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 am

Realhoops wrote:
HoopsFan01 wrote:
omajay wrote:Goodman tweeted that six BE schools have NIL budgets of $2 million plus. And either Goodman or another national guy reported Nova spent $3 million.

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/17698 ... f4rBH2nRlw

Who at Creighton receives this NIL? All of the starting 5 I'd assume. Do any of the bench guys? Like Farabello? Troudt? King? Did Lawson get some to come here?

So say Creighton's NIL budget is $2.5m, how is it decided who gets what portion of that budget? And is it broken up evenly for each guy or do some get more?

Most of that is not immediately available public information. And the NIL comes from multiple sources. There is a collective, but there are also other groups that come up with NIL money, there are individual deals that players can get, etc. When this all sort of started being a thing a few years ago, there was a report that the primary "pot" was being evenly divided amongst every player on the roster and that that was part of the mindset / culture of team over individuals. But the whole climate has changed radically since then, so there is likely a really, really good chance that has changed, too.

I would suspect that every single player on the roster is getting *something* -- but the top guys are certainly getting more than someone like Brock Vice, for example. And now, when NIL becomes part of the deal in trying to get kids to transfer here, they are going to get their own individual deals that can include a lot of things beyond just money.

Separately, sort of similar to thinking of coaching salaries, it's also worth keeping in mind how far money might go here in Omaha vs. if you are looking for an NIL deal to live and play in Manhattan, NY. A little different because players are necessarily only here temporarily where the cost-of-living, etc., is a longer term consideration for coaches, but not entirely irrelevant to the equation, I'd think.

Agree. Initial report for the Bird’s Nest or whatever the club is/was called was each starter got $350k each equally plus a car lease. Gotta assume that has changed + there’s their own personal deals + sales from NIL stores, etc. Gotta be something that is able to get a player the MMs+ you hear thrown around.

I wonder if the “budget” means that’s what available to be spent annually or if that actually means “the pot” that also needs to be spent on future players. This thing needs to be funded essentially every year and that’s a lot of donor/business money to keep piping in…at every school.

I wish we knew how much of a cut of NIL gear was going to the player. Prices are clearly higher than regular stuff, which seems not worth the purchase. But if I knew 50% was to the player, I might be more or less inclined to buy something.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby GoatGibbs » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 am

omajay wrote:Goodman tweeted that six BE schools have NIL budgets of $2 million plus. And either Goodman or another national guy reported Nova spent $3 million.

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/17698 ... f4rBH2nRlw

Those six schools as of '24 are Nova, Creighton, Providence, Georgetown, UConn, and Marquette

- Look for X to get into that category this year. Sean teased leaving all year to leverage his boosters to contribute
- Look for Depaul to get into that category for the next two years at least. Holtman's hire was contingent on $4mm in NIL committment
- Look for St. John's and DePaul to raise their NIL spend per annum to $5m, per rumors. Pitino is also tampering within the conference.
- I would expect Creighton to be at/near $3 next year with so much turnover.

I think/feel that the big east spends more per school on NIL than any other conference. There's a solid middle of the league and the low end of the league is still competitive (assuming what i've heard about DP and GT is true). That said, the top ends of other conferences dwarf Creighton's spend. KU is rumored to be pushing 7, as is UK, UNC, Duke, and others. Indiana leads the Big Ten with 6-7. The catch is that most of those leagues have a lower class that's so focused on football that they don't have much in NIL for basketball. Iowa, for instance doesn't have $1mm to spend.

And as for Creighton's NIL specifically I don't know any kids that have ever been recruited by us but reportedly Creighton pays guards $300k (extremely competitive) and bigs $600k (also extremely competitive) - I doubt it's flat across the roster as many have alluded to. I think our number is higher than $3mm after this offseason.
GoatGibbs

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:01 am

Dough Boy wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Back to the topic…

Frankie Fidler will almost certainly be mentioned as a Creighton target. Has already online. Watching a bit of tape, looks like someone whose game would transition to higher competition, ala our other recent starting transfers. Anybody seen him a lot more than the 10 minutes of highlights I watched think similarly?

This story indicates no CU interest in FF.

https://bvmsports.com/2024/03/20/nebras ... ie-fidler/
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:04 am

LJay wrote:
Dough Boy wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Back to the topic…

Frankie Fidler will almost certainly be mentioned as a Creighton target. Has already online. Watching a bit of tape, looks like someone whose game would transition to higher competition, ala our other recent starting transfers. Anybody seen him a lot more than the 10 minutes of highlights I watched think similarly?

This story indicates no CU interest in FF.

https://bvmsports.com/2024/03/20/nebras ... ie-fidler/

That story also includes a statement that Nebraska "has a track record of attracting local talent" -- fwiw.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:46 pm

89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:51 pm

This guy has few followers so take with a grain of salt.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby omajay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:36 pm

Meyo just tweeted that he’s not in the portal, at least not yet.
omajay

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:44 pm

And that guy deleted his Mayo tweet, but he left the one up about William Kyle III which references Mayo entering the portal.

Guessing he's just a guy that reads tea leaves and calls his shot to try to look informed.

He also tweeted out a list of teams that had reached out to Frankie Fidler, but Frankie has no idea who he is.
JacobPadilla

Postby JayPharmAlum » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:37 am

Hunter Sallis in the portal.
JayPharmAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops