Oregon Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oregon Game Thread

Postby WBR Tom » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:28 am

Here’s the Pregame Primer for tonight. To me, it boils down to the fact that while Dante is brilliant, he has to contend with a great defensive center; Couisnard is a streaky volume shooter who can’t afford to have an off night because their secondary options can’t carry them. Oregon could win because those two are that good. CU has a lot more avenues to victory. That’s why the odds favor them so heavily.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... -the-line/
WBR Tom

Postby JayPharmAlum » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 am

Thanks for the preview. It’s still difficult for us semi-old timers to believe the current state of the program. Possibility of a third S16 in the past five years and a Covid year robbed us of what would’ve been a 2 seed.

Unbelievable.
JayPharmAlum

Postby DC_JAY » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:54 am

I see the line has now moved to Jays -4.5. Oregon is a trendy upset pick among the talking heads. This is going to be a tough game against a team playing with house money.

Seeing so many top teams and programs lose in the first round, it's worth appreciating the overall excellence of the Kalkbrenner Era of Creighton basketball. Even if it ends tonight.

Creighton controls its destiny. If they play to their potential, they not only can beat anyone, they will beat anyone.

Let it fly.
DC_JAY

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:08 am

Oregon the consensus pick today by all the basketball guys.

Go Jays
3ontheway

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:59 am

3ontheway wrote:Oregon the consensus pick today by all the basketball guys.

Go Jays

And that's not surprising. Oregon is a VERY good basketball team right now. You simply can't look at their stats over the entire season. Dante was not available to them for the first 10 games of the season. So that alone will impact your stats. Plus, wasn't Cousinard a transfer? I'm sure it took him some time to get acclimated just like Ashworth did.

If you throw out some of those season stats, you're looking at a much different team. Honestly, I think this is a pick 'em game.

IMO, Dante will get his points. It comes down to limiting the damage by Cousinard. And I said this earlier... we will likely play more than one guy on him (and Mac has stated that). And mixing up our ball-screen defense on him would be a good way to not let him get comfortable. But that's a mental and communication thing. Which can get tricky.

I'm gonna give the edge to us because of familiarity. I think Mac has Dana's number when it comes down to that.
go_jays

Postby JayPak » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

I'm guessing we will be bamboozled by the matchup zone. If we aren't making shots, will it affect the defense as at times this season? Will Mac make effective adjustments?
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby go_jays » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:30 pm

JayPak wrote:I'm guessing we will be bamboozled by the matchup zone. If we aren't making shots, will it affect the defense as at times this season? Will Mac make effective adjustments?

Maybe... but it's not like Mac hasn't seen and played against that before. I suspect he'll have a pretty good offensive gameplan given his familiarity with it.
go_jays

Postby Realhoops » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:13 pm

Overtime in Pitt between NCState and Oakland first …
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:30 pm

My X factors for most of the season for this team have been Turnovers and Rebounding. Hold onto the ball tonight and block out, and I think we'll get enough shots to get the runs we need
Chicagojayfan

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:58 pm

Here we go. Extremely tough match up for the Jays. Need to be tenacious on defense and get out in transition. We do those things I think we win
BenningtonBluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops