Oregon Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oregon Game Thread

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:00 pm

anotherjayfan wrote:
section221jay wrote:Looking at the stats I never would have guessed Couisnard was 13-33. Felt like about 70% watching the game.

I feel the same way but how many of those misses turned into Dante second chance points?

Good point. Probably at least 5 or 6.
section221jay

Postby OKBluejay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 pm

section221jay wrote:Looking at the stats I never would have guessed Couisnard was 13-33. Felt like about 70% watching the game.

Cousinard was 0-6 in the 2nd OT, which made his final stats look worse. He wasn't the same guy at the end, probably a combination of the Jays' defensive adjustment and fatigue.
OKBluejay

Postby LJay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 pm

Sounds like the same type of argument Marquette fans made when Jays beat them in Omaha.

“Oh man, you were only ahead by a few points with four minutes to play. You suck. We would have killed you with our guys.”

Last time I checked, games are 40 minutes and the Jays won that game by 14 points. 14 POINTS. Same thing here, it was OT but who was fresh and kicking ass for 50 minutes? The Jays. The game was 50 minutes. Couisnard shot 13-33 for THE ENTIRE GAME. Stop discounting crud to make your narrative. He sucked when it counted.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby DC_JAY » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:49 pm

The Buddha wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Chicagojay, another great summary post. You do a better job than the people who get paid to do this.
+1

+1. I look forward to your post-game analysis posts more than any media outlet. Really well-measured and insightful.
DC_JAY

Postby OKBluejay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:07 pm

LJay wrote:Sounds like the same type of argument Marquette fans made when Jays beat them in Omaha.

“Oh man, you were only ahead by a few points with four minutes to play. You suck. We would have killed you with our guys.”

Last time I checked, games are 40 minutes and the Jays won that game by 14 points. 14 POINTS. Same thing here, it was OT but who was fresh and kicking ass for 50 minutes? The Jays. The game was 50 minutes. Couisnard shot 13-33 for THE ENTIRE GAME. Stop discounting crud to make your narrative. He sucked when it counted.

You can't really say he "sucked when it counted" unless you think the first 45 minutes didn't really count. But yes, he was bad in the second OT and the Jays dominated at the end. My point was that it seemed like he was playing better than his final numbers suggest, because he really was playing better than that for most of the game. I am not trying to be a apologist for Oregon. The Jays should have buried them early, but couldn't make an open shot in the first half to save their lives.
OKBluejay

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:13 pm

That Kalk three-pointer replaced the birth of my children as my new favorite moment in my lifetime. Sorry, kids.

I said it earlier, but I think it’s worth repeating. The Big East GRIND built this team to handle situations like this. I never thought we were out of it. Definitely had some anxious moments. Sometimes there is an odd feeling of entitlement by fans. This was a second round NCAA tournament game against a peaking team with a HOF coach. The game stayed within 1-2 possessions for most of the 50 minutes. Yet people melted down calling the season over. Man up!! Get a reality check!! It was always going to be a battle. Survive. Advance. Keep the dream alive.

Speaking of Kalk, there is a consistent complaint on this board of our opposition not getting called for moving screens. I feel like it comes up in most game threads. Careful what you wish for, because opposing fans think Kalk sets moving screens pretty consistently. What Kalk does and what our opponents’ bigs do aren’t that dissimilar. I, for one, do not want Kalk in foul trouble, so am fine with the refs’ consistency in letting that go more than they perhaps should.
vivid_dude

Postby WBR Tom » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:30 pm

Here's the Morning After recap with key stats, highlights, quotes from the postgame radio show, analysis and more:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/morning- ... our-years/
WBR Tom

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:31 pm

vivid_dude wrote:That Kalk three-pointer replaced the birth of my children as my new favorite moment in my lifetime. Sorry, kids.

I said it earlier, but I think it’s worth repeating. The Big East GRIND built this team to handle situations like this. I never thought we were out of it. Definitely had some anxious moments. Sometimes there is an odd feeling of entitlement by fans. This was a second round NCAA tournament game against a peaking team with a HOF coach. The game stayed within 1-2 possessions for most of the 50 minutes. Yet people melted down calling the season over. Man up!! Get a reality check!! It was always going to be a battle. Survive. Advance. Keep the dream alive.

Speaking of Kalk, there is a consistent complaint on this board of our opposition not getting called for moving screens. I feel like it comes up in most game threads. Careful what you wish for, because opposing fans think Kalk sets moving screens pretty consistently. What Kalk does and what our opponents’ bigs do aren’t that dissimilar. I, for one, do not want Kalk in foul trouble, so am fine with the refs’ consistency in letting that go more than they perhaps should.

I agree that I wouldn't want Kalk in foul trouble, but all teams use the moving screens these days. It does look like we randomly get called for one a game by the refs as their attempt to try to keep it from being too outrageous

The play that set me off last night was one where Lappas commented something like "you can't go under those screens" when Couisnard hit another shot, and Trey definitely didn't go under the screen, but instead got hip checked off the play. Anyway, that's the kind of moving screen / blocking that usually gets called, but didn't last night and they used it to full extent
Chicagojayfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:51 pm

WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Morning After recap with key stats, highlights, quotes from the postgame radio show, analysis and more:

Love all of your write ups mixed in with highlights and quotes. One mistake in your article about the Seton Hall game - it was triple OT.

Much like the 2OT Seton Hall game in January, minutes 46-50 of this one belonged to the Bluejays.
TrueBlueJay

Postby WBR Tom » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:27 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:
WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Morning After recap with key stats, highlights, quotes from the postgame radio show, analysis and more:

Love all of your write ups mixed in with highlights and quotes. One mistake in your article about the Seton Hall game - it was triple OT.

Much like the 2OT Seton Hall game in January, minutes 46-50 of this one belonged to the Bluejays.

Thanks, that’s what happens when you’re writing at 2am while your three year old keeps waking up, lol! Distraction city. I’ll get it fixed.
WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops