Oregon Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oregon Game Thread

Postby RyanHolmgren » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:08 am

Jays and Oregon tip off at 9:40 p.m. ET on Saturday on TBS.

Other games:

“Saturday's Schedule (times ET):
1245: Arizona-Dayton (CBS)
315: Kansas-Gonzaga (CBS)
530: UNC-Michigan St. (CBS)
610: Iowa St.-Washington St. (TNT)
710: NC State-Oakland (TBS)
8: Tennessee-Texas (CBS)
840: Illinois-Duquesne (TNT)”
RyanHolmgren

Postby DC_JAY » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:39 am

Looking forward to WBR's analysis, but a few observations...

On paper, this is a Creighton win. The Jays beat better teams and are more efficient on both ends. Dante is very good, but he hasn't attempted a single three all season. Looking at team stats, Oregon doesn't have a single stat that leaps off the page. They don't shoot the three particularly well. And Oregon seems happy to play the sort of up and down, flowing game that Creighton prefers.

I am much more worried about playing bruising teams that prefer rock fights (SDSU, Rhode Island, etc.) in the Tourney.

Oregon is clearly on a heater, and we know how well-coached they are. Anything can happen in the Round of 32, but if both teams play their typical games, the Jays should win.
DC_JAY

Postby HoopsFan01 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:49 am

NUgradCUfan wrote:
The Buddha wrote:This Ducks team will be a handful. Grave doubts about this game.

Any fan going in doubting us in this game is a loser and has a loser, mid major mentality. No offense.

This! 100% this!!

I've never seen a fanbase so scared about every single game. We seriously had people that were worried about Akron..... give me a break!

Oregon is a solid team that we can't overlook, but we should be just fine in this game.
HoopsFan01

Postby jays34 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 am

Meh. i'm nervous, i don't think that makes me a bad fan. Oregon a quality team playing their best ball of the season. But on the flip side, we're pretty darn good too. Plenty of pieces that Dana is gonna have to gameplan around. I'm gonna be lazy and sit back and wait for others to dig into the stats, but besides being March, not sure full season stats are all that relevant for this one given that the Ducks team we'll see tomorrow is not the same one that we would have seen even 6 weeks ago.

I do think Dante is subject to foul trouble and while Oregon has 2 dynamic difference makers, we have 4. Plus, historically speaking, the odds of Couisnard dropping 40 in back to back games seems unlikely (but not impossible). I worry about our turnovers against their very active defense, but I think we'll get plenty of clean looks against it if we can hold onto the ball. We need to take as many shots as they do on the game. Can't give them 10 extra shots. However, need to work on our zone offense and not fall in love with perimeter passes and bombs as the clock expires. Easier said than done I suppose.

And lastly, I absolutely LOVE that Kalk is goiing to be standing by the rim the entire game. Firmly planted 3 feet from that cylinder. Feels like awhile since we've had that luxury for the rest of our D.
jays34

Postby GoatGibbs » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:34 am

No kidding. Should be able to play to the team's strengths defensively. I think we can hold them under 70

This will come down to turnovers and making shots like every game does for us. I like that there isn't much familiarity. We're a tough team to play on short rest.

CU 77
UO 71

Intentional halfcourt violation at end of game by ashworth as an homage to my good friend antione young
GoatGibbs

Postby drbluejay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:55 am

Good shooting and keeping turnovers down will take us to the final four.
drbluejay

Postby Angry Dan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:00 am

I’m nervous,

Oregon’s season says nothing about the team they are at this point.

If you could put the Ducks last 5 games on Bart Torvic they would rate among the best in the country.

They are on a heater.

They pass the eye test right now with flying colors.

That being said, I’ve only seen one game, but in that one game they looked really good.

Hopefully we are not running into Dana’s version of Valvanos 83 NC State national champs. Those guys had to win the ACC Tourney to get into the dance. Like these Ducks.
Angry Dan

Postby Jaybird » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am

HoopsFan01 wrote:
NUgradCUfan wrote:
The Buddha wrote:This Ducks team will be a handful. Grave doubts about this game.

Any fan going in doubting us in this game is a loser and has a loser, mid major mentality. No offense.

This! 100% this!!

I've never seen a fanbase so scared about every single game. We seriously had people that were worried about Akron..... give me a break!

Oregon is a solid team that we can't overlook, but we should be just fine in this game.

You keep your finger on the pulse of every fanbase out there, do you? There will always be fans with supreme confidence and fans with very little confidence. Nothing unusual about that.
Jaybird

Postby bleedblue » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 am

Oregon seems to be the new Syracuse. They run a weird matchup zone that's inconsistent in the regular season and then teams can't figure it out in the tournament. I think we will be fine defensively we just can't be ice cold or their zone will eat us up.
bleedblue

Postby Minnesota Jay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:46 am

Angry Dan wrote:I’m nervous,

Oregon’s season says nothing about the team they are at this point.

If you could put the Ducks last 5 games on Bart Torvic they would rate among the best in the country.

The last 10 metric has us 5th and Oregon 38th. If you cut it off specifically after Oregon's most recent loss, then they're 21st
Minnesota Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops