Oregon Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oregon Game Thread

Postby go_jays » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:38 am

"Altman didn't win a gazillion games by being dumb, and he realized early on that the refs weren't going to stop Dante from setting the ugly moving screens, and that when he did those we weren't able to get over them and into a spot to effectively defend Couisnard so it was the bread and butter for their offense"

I was screaming at the TV all night long about that! IMO, it needs to be called way more often than it is. It's really a cheat code the way it's (not) being called, currently.
go_jays

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:41 am

Bennington, you need to start the Tennessee thread ASAP. You are on a roll.
SeattleJay

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:52 am

What a game! Game ball to Green. His 18 minutes were near perfection. Agree woth whoever said he's going to be a double double machine.

Another game ball to Mac. The (very) late adjustment in the pick and roll saved the season. Might have like to have seen it earlier but whatever...it worked.

Oregon and their big 2 had me very worried going in...and proved why. That pick and roll was 100% unstoppable the way the jays were trying to defend it.

Anyway, this team can beat anybody and has the ability to win any kind of game. I'd still prefer they hit 60% and 45% but it's not necessarily the end of the road if they don't.
section221jay

Postby bird_call » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 am

section221jay wrote:Another game ball to Mac. The (very) late adjustment in the pick and roll saved the season. Might have like to have seen it earlier but whatever...it worked.

Oregon and their big 2 had me very worried going in...and proved why. That pick and roll was 100% unstoppable the way the jays were trying to defend it.

I disagree here. Coach Mac let that 2-man PnR game go the entire 40 minutes of regulation and didn't adjust to double the ball-handler until OT. That is inexcusable, given that no one else on their team could score or dribble.

Our Point of attack defender would die on the Dante screen, Cousinard gets an open look from 3 or the elbow every time as Kalk is playing deep drop and doesn't even get a hand in his face. If Cousinard misses, Dante is there for the clean-up dunk half the time because our corner defenders are playing too wide and can't box him out. Basketball 101 and we played it straight up for 40 minutes with zero off-ball help.

Holy heck coach, make that defensive adjustment at halftime when 2 guys are responsible for 80% of the points.
bird_call

Postby LJay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:30 am

89 - 60
LJay

Postby 59County » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:33 am

IDWT
Before we give Dana that Hall of Fame plaque to put on his wall....
Why was Dante (60% FT) on the floor when you knew CU would be fouling?
And a freshman inbounding the ball?
Not a great "one shining moment" for Dana.
59County

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:37 am

59County wrote:IDWT
Before we give Dana that Hall of Fame plaque to put on his wall....
Why was Dante (60% FT) on the floor when you knew CU would be fouling?
And a freshman inbounding the ball?
Not a great "one shining moment" for Dana.

In the post game presser, Dana criticized himself for having a freshman inbound the ball. I like that he noticed his own mistake and took responsibility for it. That seems pretty stand up to me.
SeattleJay

Postby 3ontheway » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 am

With their roster and ours I don't see how that game isn't close no matter the game plan. Yes, defensively they could have adjusted earlier and put Kalk and or Baylor/Trey in more aggressive defensive roles but, again, that leads to higher probability of foul trouble and Jays are not capable of having 1 or 2 starters in foul trouble as we have virtually no frontcourt depth at all. Traudt's one offensive and defensive possession was quite scary.

Mac knows the limitations the way we defend and the game plan but also knows we can't win with Kalk (especially) or Baylor or Trey sitting on the bench with 3 or 4 fouls in the 2nd half.
Last edited by 3ontheway on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
3ontheway

Postby The Buddha » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 am

SeattleJay wrote:Chicagojay, another great summary post. You do a better job than the people who get paid to do this.
+1
The Buddha

Postby section221jay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 am

3ontheway wrote:With their roster and ours I don't see how that game isn't close no matter the game plan. Yes, defensively they could have adjusted earlier and put Kalk and or Baylor/Trey in more aggressive defensive roles but, again, that leads to higher probability of foul trouble and Jays are not capable of having 1 or 2 starters in foul trouble as we have virtually no frontcourt depth at all. Traudt's one offensive and defensive possession was quite scary.

Mac knows the limitations the way we defend and the game plan but also knows we can't win with Kalk (especially) or Baylor or Trey sitting on the bench with 3 or 4 fouls in the 2nd half.

This was pretty much exactly how I was going to reapond. While I would have liked to have seen that double maybe spinkled in throughout the game going to it for long stretches would certainly have led to some fouling by our guards having to rotate to Dante. Not sure the cost/benefit over long stretches would have been to CU's advantage.
section221jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops