Oregon Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oregon Game Thread

Postby mel ott » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:22 pm

OKBluejay wrote:
section221jay wrote:Looking at the stats I never would have guessed Couisnard was 13-33. Felt like about 70% watching the game.

Cousinard was 0-6 in the 2nd OT, which made his final stats look worse. He wasn't the same guy at the end, probably a combination of the Jays' defensive adjustment and fatigue.

Well you are the one guy who knows what he is talking about (not a shot at the rest of us). Would like to see more of your thoughts on these games.
mel ott

Postby Eye of the Jay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:17 pm

Biggest line that jumped out from Morning After recap:

“They made two shots in the final 11:07 of regulation and somehow won the game.“

That’s crazy to have 2 field goals in 11 minutes and still somehow pull it out. It’s not like we had a 15-20 point lead or anything going into it either. Truly incredible and way to win when offense wasn’t clicking!
Eye of the Jay

Postby JayPak » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:33 am

kutter wrote:Gentlemen we have arrived!! 3 sweet 16 appearances in four years. Not a beautiful game but they don’t quit. Thank you Dana for setting the table, hats off to Greg for taking us to another level I could only dream of, I sat through Rick Johnson era with less than 1,000 fans in the stands. Thank you Bruce for bringing Dana to Omaha!!! Go Jays!

+1
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:10 am

Here's my gamer if you're looking for some more Creighton words.

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... -overtime/

As for the supposed lack of adjustments, basketball is often a lot more complicated than the way in which we choose to talk about it.

Oregon didn't run much ball screen action in the first half. A lot of what Couisnard got was in transition or off-ball situations where guys fell asleep somewhat.

They got him some mid-post touches for ISOs early in the second half, then started going to more ball screens. The drop worked a little bit early, but then Couisnard got going a bit (and the illegal screens definitely helped that). Midway through the half, they had Kalkbrenner hedge a few screens then swarmed Dante on the roll, and it forced a couple of turnovers.

After Creighton tied it up, Kalkbrenner showed and recovered and Couisnard made a great lob pass to Dante. Then he went into kind of a high drop and Couisnard got downhill; Ashworth dug in off the corner and got a hand on the ball, forcing a wild shot, but Kalkbrenner left his feet to challenge it as well and the ball went right to Dante. Kalk dropped again on the next possession and Couisnard missed a floater instead of challenging him.

They stuck with the drop to start OT and Couisnard hit a floater on the first possession. After that, they trapped him a few times to get the ball out of his hands to great success. Oregon didn't run a single ball screen with the 5 in OT, instead having Evans set a couple.

Couisnard shot 2-14 in the last 15 minutes of the game.
JacobPadilla

Postby John Bishop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:35 am

Running a poll on "biggest recent CU win." Sadly, I could only have four options and had to leave out a couple (namely the Ohio and Princeton wins.) I am only looking at games from the last FIVE years.

Curious what your thoughts are if you would like to vote from my Twitter account. https://twitter.com/JohnBishop71/status/1772281953766481980
John Bishop

Postby #RollJays » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:03 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:Here's my gamer if you're looking for some more Creighton words.

As for the supposed lack of adjustments, basketball is often a lot more complicated than the way in which we choose to talk about it.

Oregon didn't run much ball screen action in the first half. A lot of what Couisnard got was in transition or off-ball situations where guys fell asleep somewhat.

They got him some mid-post touches for ISOs early in the second half, then started going to more ball screens. The drop worked a little bit early, but then Couisnard got going a bit (and the illegal screens definitely helped that). Midway through the half, they had Kalkbrenner hedge a few screens then swarmed Dante on the roll, and it forced a couple of turnovers.

After Creighton tied it up, Kalkbrenner showed and recovered and Couisnard made a great lob pass to Dante. Then he went into kind of a high drop and Couisnard got downhill; Ashworth dug in off the corner and got a hand on the ball, forcing a wild shot, but Kalkbrenner left his feet to challenge it as well and the ball went right to Dante. Kalk dropped again on the next possession and Couisnard missed a floater instead of challenging him.

They stuck with the drop to start OT and Couisnard hit a floater on the first possession. After that, they trapped him a few times to get the ball out of his hands to great success. Oregon didn't run a single ball screen with the 5 in OT, instead having Evans set a couple.

I feel like so many Big East fans were saying Dante dominated Kalk with 28 and 20. Dante had so many points off soft misses that Kalk left to contest. Usually Baylor is there to clean up the glass but Dante is so massive that he won a bunch of those battles.
#RollJays

Postby Realhoops » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm

It's tiring how much other Big East fanbases focus solely on the total points scored by opposing bigs and just extrapolate from there that Kalk is somehow not a great defender. They don't care if it takes 100 shots to get 25 points, they don't watch and see that the scoring is almost entirely as a result of Kalk defending others and not actually scoring one v. one, they completely ignore everything else about his defense and our system, etc.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm

Realhoops wrote:It's tiring how much other Big East fanbases focus solely on the total points scored by opposing bigs and just extrapolate from there that Kalk is somehow not a great defender. They don't care if it takes 100 shots to get 25 points, they don't watch and see that the scoring is almost entirely as a result of Kalk defending others and not actually scoring one v. one, they completely ignore everything else about his defense and our system, etc.

It really irritates me. Take Dante's dunk late in regulation:

Couisnard drives and gets to the rim, and Kalk rotates off to challenge the shot -- he contests it and forces a miss. But no one picks up Dante on the backside and he grabs the board for an easy dunk. That's 100% not on Kalk and if anything, exactly what you want him to do.

(And actually, on that one in particular it's almost bad luck -- because of where Couisnard releases the shot, Kalk's contest pushes Baylor away from the play and leaves him in poor position to block out Dante.)

By my chart, Dante scored on four of his seven offensive boards. Eight of his 28 points.

I saw Jacob ran the stats via Synergy, and on direct one-on-battles Dante was 4-of-10 with a turnover. That's pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.

WBR Tom

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:10 pm

WBR Tom wrote:
I saw Jacob ran the stats via Synergy, and on direct one-on-battles Dante was 4-of-10 with a turnover. That's pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.

For clarity's sake, that was from watching the game myself and charting it (though I used Synergy to do so).
JacobPadilla

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 am

JacobPadilla wrote:Here's my gamer if you're looking for some more Creighton words.

Jacob, the most interesting observation (to me and I can be a bit obtuse) in your story was that Green sat 18 of 20 minutes in the second half. On TV at half time, Mac in a very brief interview mentioned that Green played really well in the first half. The question I have is why did Mac wait so long to go back to Green? Did anyone ask Mac? If not, what is your best guess?

I dislike the Bello, Ashworth, Alexander lineup except when the other team is playing small or when we are milking a lead at the end of the game.
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops