Tennessee Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Tennessee Game Thread

Postby Trifecta » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
bird_call wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
they absolutely favored them in style of play. Not calling the many, MANY points of contact and hacks on our players (remember the hacks on Baylor in the layup first half?) and then blowing multiple crucial calls that were often called against us and at odds with how they'd called the entire game

Tourney games aren't going to be a tight-whistle every game. The refs let 'em play. Yes, that favors the more physical team. Tennessee adjusted and took advantage.

We lost because our guys didn't execute and played soft (except for Green).

you don't want a tight whistle, but Tennessee could have easily had 10 more tonight, and that AGAIN doesn't mention the blown calls against us that were at odds with how they called the game

I wouldn't be surprised to see multiples foul out against Purdue - Edey will get those whistles

Edey gets those whistles because he's Edey and he gets them against everyone. And quite frankly, Tennesee is great on the perimeter defensively but I wasn't impressed with either of their bigs. The bench guy was better than the starter. He's going to carve them up, but will it be enough if they lock down everyone else? I think CU has much better backcourt players than Purdue.
Trifecta

Postby LJay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 pm

Stop withe ref talk. Jays lost that game with a breathtakingly bad five or so minutes early in the second half. That wasn’t about fouls.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JayPharmAlum » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 pm

Fun season. Lots of memories.

Tough way to see it end.
JayPharmAlum

Postby Eye of the Jay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 pm

Hell of an effort to come back. Just needed them to be that locked in the whole 40 - outplayed Tenn for stretches and had an opportunity even after all that down 4 with multiple empty possessions.

If Trey or Kalk come back it would be amazing but understandable if they don’t. Think we’ll be rebuilding next year unless Mac and co. Hit the portal hard. Lots of good young talent to look forward to
Eye of the Jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 pm

Trifecta wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
bird_call wrote:Tourney games aren't going to be a tight-whistle every game. The refs let 'em play. Yes, that favors the more physical team. Tennessee adjusted and took advantage.

We lost because our guys didn't execute and played soft (except for Green).

you don't want a tight whistle, but Tennessee could have easily had 10 more tonight, and that AGAIN doesn't mention the blown calls against us that were at odds with how they called the game

I wouldn't be surprised to see multiples foul out against Purdue - Edey will get those whistles

Edey gets those whistles because he's Edey and he gets them against everyone. And quite frankly, Tennesee is great on the perimeter defensively but I wasn't impressed with either of their bigs. The bench guy was better than the starter. He's going to carve them up, but will it be enough if they lock down everyone else? I think CU has much better backcourt players than Purdue.

Tennessee had the most fouls against Purdue of any team this year, and it wasn't shocking given much they foul
Chicagojayfan

Postby KenoshaJay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 pm

Luv the Jays.

Go Jays!
KenoshaJay

Postby Trifecta » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Trifecta wrote:Folks talking like the refs cost us this game...please go to bed

sure as hell didn't help us the way they called the game

It can be true that we blew too many chances and that the refs sucked

both were true tonight

I know it fucking hurts to have our season end right now, but take a step back and be objective (maybe not the right time to ask this). NCAA officiating is very inconsistent. But think about how many calls we got away with. I counted at least 4 travels that were not called, a couple of 50/50 calls on Kalk contests, and some grabbing as our guards were fighting through screens. Maybe sometime in the future, we'll have the personnel to be able to dish some of that back out and adjust when the game is allowed to be physical like this.
Trifecta

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 pm

One of the most interesting contrasts with the Creighton program…

1. We get called for the least amount of fouls in all of college basketball.
2. Our fanbase (not all, but quite a few), complain about the refs INCESSANTLY.
3. When other fanbases question the refs against Creighton, those fanbases are called whiners by many of the same fans who complain most threads.

Oh well. Fans fan it up.

Unrelated, and this irrelevant at this point, but Tennessee was probably the worst #2 seed as a matchup for Creighton.

Also, someone tell Jay Wright it’s not “Ty” Alexander.
vivid_dude

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm

vivid_dude wrote:One of the most interesting contrasts with the Creighton program…

1. We get called for the least amount of fouls in all of college basketball.
2. Our fanbase (not all, but quite a few), complain about the refs INCESSANTLY.
3. When other fanbases question the refs against Creighton, those fanbases are called whiners by many of the same fans who complain most threads.

Oh well. Fans fan it up.

Unrelated, and this irrelevant at this point, but Tennessee was probably the worst #2 seed as a matchup for Creighton.

Also, someone tell Jay Wright it’s not “Ty” Alexander.

Not going to lie — I actually got confused trying to figure out who he was even talking about!
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Trifecta » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 pm

PTSD from Ty-Shon Alexander?
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops