2024-2025 Roster

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024-2025 Roster

Postby HoopsFan01 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Realhoops wrote:This offseason is something else.

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.

Yeah, you are way off base. McAndrew is not a 3. He is a prototypical 4 in today's basketball.

So no, he won't be playing the 5, but he also won't be playing the 3.

FWIW, there isn't a huge difference between the 3 and the 4 in Mac's system, but there is absolutely a difference. McAndrew is a 4.
HoopsFan01

Postby blueblood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:57 pm

Kentucky had a roster of 5 star Freshmen last year. That didn't work out very well.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm

HoopsFan01 wrote:

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.

Yeah, you are way off base. McAndrew is not a 3. He is a prototypical 4 in today's basketball.

So no, he won't be playing the 5, but he also won't be playing the 3.

FWIW, there isn't a huge difference between the 3 and the 4 in Mac's system, but there is absolutely a difference. McAndrew is a 4.

I don't necessarily disagree, mostly because he's 6'9. He's a perfect stretch 4. HOWEVER, he's much more likely to play the 3 than he is the 5, if anyone has ever watched him. The logical argument for him being able to play the 3 is because we DO have a logjam at the 4, and if he were ever to be on the court with the other guys who play the 4, he's much more of a fit to play the 3 than the others. He has functional ball skills and can actually put it on the floor, at least somewhat. Like someone said earlier, Miller has never shown the ability to dribble the basketball anywhere besides laterally in a 6 foot radius.

Versatility matters. I think McAndrew can, doesn't mean he *will*, play the 3 and the 4. Not the 5.

I think Green can play a small ball 5 role eventually.

Traudt can also play a smal ball 5 role, mostly cause he has cement feet and can't guard anyone with any sort of quickness.

Miller can only play the 4, IMO.
Last edited by bluejayfan00 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluejayfan00

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE or four at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.

Could see him playing the 5 on offense and Green playing the 5 on defense in certain lineups. Traudt and Miller’s rebounding rates per 40 aren’t very good. I don’t think it’s crazy to see him playing spot minutes vs someone’s backup 5.
#RollJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 pm

#RollJays wrote:

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE or four at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.

Could see him playing the 5 on offense and Green playing the 5 on defense in certain lineups. Traudt and Miller’s rebounding rates per 40 aren’t very good. I don’t think it’s crazy to see him playing spot minutes vs someone’s backup 5.

I think McAndrew will have a learning curve and development curve in the B10. He has some great skills, but from a post in his recruiting thread I made:

"from the 247 blurb last July
"Defensively, while his size and mobility give him some potential, he can get sealed inside too easily and usually rotates from the weakside to help on the ball with his length more so than his total body. Finally, he needs to ensure he’s a consistent rebounding presence, particularly on the defensive end."

https://247sports.com/player/jackson-mcandrew-46135258/
to my eye, still has a lot of physical development to do but moves really well, has a lot of length and plays with pretty solid defensive fundamentals (i.e., not leaving his feet too quickly, playing straight up, etc.), but he needs weight and strength to compete defensively at the next level"

While he's put on some good weight already, we need to be a bit patient for him to fulfill his potential. Defensively, the big , physical 4's are going to make it hard for him, and I don't see his quickness at the level to play most 4's in the conference either.

We did something a bit like what you suggest with Patton and Hegner a few years ago. Patton had poor footwork in the post and couldn't match most centers defensively, but we switched him and Hegner on D and offense for the most part

I'm expecting us to see a jump from Miller, Traudt, and Green this year, so that adds another layer of complexity to this

We'll see
Chicagojayfan

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 pm

His AAU matchups probably more instructive than HS.

Playing C on D probably an easy way to rest him a little on that end playing against guys six inches shorter than him.
cujaysfan

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 pm

On a different note, 5/1 is the last day to enter the transfer portal - presumably at midnight.

So we have 2 days left for someone to surprise us.

Hopefully, all the exits are already announced.
SeattleJay

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
I think McAndrew will have a learning curve and development curve in the B10.

I don’t understand this reference. Is it a typo?

As to everything else about Jackson McAndrew, I hope he ends up a 3. Matchup nightmare for opponents if he can be serviceable on defense. That’s the big question. Like RH, I don’t see any pathway to him playing the 5. Green and Traudt slot in there before Jackson.

I’ve been fooled the last two offseason thinking CU will have depth. Fool me three times, I guess, because I think we will again.
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

As to everything else about Jackson McAndrew, I hope he ends up a 3. Matchup nightmare for opponents if he can be serviceable on defense. That’s the big question. Like RH, I don’t see any pathway to him playing the 5. Green and Traudt slot in there before Jackson.

I’ve been fooled the last two offseason thinking CU will have depth. Fool me three times, I guess, because I think we will again.

Meant the BE, not the B10. He has work to do to be ready to play in the BE physically. Looks like he's putting in the work, but we should be a bit patient

We should have depth, but people need to step up and take their minutes
Chicagojayfan

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

Meant the BE, not the B10. He has work to do to be ready to play in the BE physically. Looks like he's putting in the work, but we should be a bit patient

We should have depth, but people need to step up and take their minutes

ChicagoJay a jaysker?
#RollJays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops