2024-2025 Roster

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024-2025 Roster

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:28 pm

vivid_dude wrote:As the roster takes shape, I have a thought.

The freshmen are being overlooked. In mock starting lineups shared by fans, I'm not sure I've seen one of our incoming freshmen included. Maybe I missed one. And I get it to some degree. Mac has a history of starting more experienced guys he trusts, but who on the current roster would fall into that camp? Right now, it's nobody - since nothing is official with Ashworth and Kalkbrenner. Assuming those fellas come back, I'd say they are the only two - and even Ash had moments of mistrust throughout the season.

This incoming class is strong. I'd love to see one (or more) of them force Mac's hand through practice performance by cracking the starting five.

Viewing this from a different perspective, with the current free-for-all landscape in college hoops, the best way to get talented incoming freshmen to NOT TRANSFER after year 1 is to give them minutes. Developing Top 75 guys over multiple seasons doesn't seem as likely these days. Coaches are smart enough to recognize that, so I wonder if Mac will adapt accordingly.

Why not a starting lineup of Pop, LJ, Neal, McAndrews, Kalkbrenner? Ashworth plays a minute-heavier version of Farabello. Green is backup PF/C. Miller, Traudt, Knox, Ty Davis fill out the rotation, with a bruiser added to provide depth to Kalkbrenner.

Ramble over.

I don't know that people have been forgetting the Freshman so much as there are veterans on the roster, and if Kalkbrenner does come back (finger's crossed) it doesn't make any sense to not make sure we have a worthy roster around him and not tossing a lot of true freshman out into the fire while rebuilding

I've seen various people talk about Ashworth coming off the bench, but I don't see that happening. Nobody is handed a spot, but given how well he played down the stretch last year (defensively and with the ball), if the intent were to make him a bench player, he'd be in the portal, and I doubt Mac would blindside a guy like that

Of the Freshman, the most likely to be ready to play a lot early is Johnson, IMO. Davis and McAndrew have great potential, but I don't see them being as physically ready to play in BE slug fests
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:43 pm

I get what you're saying, but you're kind of validating my point. You're saying it doesn't make sense to surround Kalkbrenner with these freshmen. My point is that these freshmen are so talented that they could, in fact, be the best options to surround Kalkbrenner. Thus, they may be overlooked. We both agree that they'll have that chance to prove themselves in the months leading up to the season. You and I are probably closer to being on the same page than what the above few sentences reflect.

The more interesting thing to me will be how coaches adapt in order to retain highly-ranked recruits. McAndrew and LJ may not be around for Year 2 if they are slotted in as limited minute role players. Obviously, coaches have to play the guys who earn it. But will mentalities change in order to keep upside players in the program longer?

The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan
vivid_dude

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I get what you're saying, but you're kind of validating my point. You're saying it doesn't make sense to surround Kalkbrenner with these freshmen. My point is that these freshmen are so talented that they could, in fact, be the best options to surround Kalkbrenner. Thus, they may be overlooked. We both agree that they'll have that chance to prove themselves in the months leading up to the season. You and I are probably closer to being on the same page than what the above few sentences reflect.

The more interesting thing to me will be how coaches adapt in order to retain highly-ranked recruits. McAndrew and LJ may not be around for Year 2 if they are slotted in as limited minute role players. Obviously, coaches have to play the guys who earn it. But will mentalities change in order to keep upside players in the program longer?

The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan

Your 2nd paragraph is a very valid point. Kids don't want to wait much anymore. If we only play LJ 10-12 mpg, he may lose faith in the staff and leave after year 1. At the same time, it is harder now to play freshman than it was 3-4 years ago because NIL & Covid has made everyone stick around longer. You basically have 19 year olds vs 22 & 23 year olds. Thank god Covid years are done next year. (Also hope we benefit from a couple of them this year :))

Full disclosure, I think McAndrew starts at the 4 and plays some ball 5 this year. The 4 position lowered our ceiling last year. Mason not providing much outside of being a low volume elite shooter hurt us. Green's injuries slowed his development. He may have to start to replace Baylor's rebounding. I also think LJ will play 15-20 mpg. If he starts, it's not going to be over Ashworth. He will have to beat out Neal.
#RollJays

Postby Realhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:06 pm

Did you just say you think McAndrew plays some *5* next year?
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Realhoops wrote:Did you just say you think McAndrew plays some *5* next year?

Yep depending on the matchup. There is a logjam at the 4 so we will have to get a little creative. Obviously, Kalk is going to play 33+ mpg in competitive games if he's back.
#RollJays

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 pm

#RollJays wrote:

Yep depending on the matchup. There is a logjam at the 4 so we will have to get a little creative. Obviously, Kalk is going to play 33+ mpg in competitive games if he's back.

Less than 5% chance. Traudt and Green are way more likely to play small by 5 than McAndrew. Jackson is more likely to play the 3 than the 5.
bluejayfan00

Postby HoopsFan01 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:32 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

Less than 5% chance. Traudt and Green are way more likely to play small by 5 than McAndrew. Jackson is more likely to play the 3 than the 5.

There is less than a 2% chance McAndrew plays the 3
HoopsFan01

Postby LJay » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:35 pm

Because he’s two inches taller than Baylor he can’t be a Baylor replacement? I don’t know what kind of ball handling chops he has but if he has a reasonable amount (more than the two dribbles and get this hot potato out of my hands Mason) I think he has a great chance to play the wing position or 3 if you like.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Realhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:52 pm

This offseason is something else.

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE or four at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby #RollJays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 pm

LJay wrote:Because he’s two inches taller than Baylor he can’t be a Baylor replacement? I don’t know what kind of ball handling chops he has but if he has a reasonable amount (more than the two dribbles and get this hot potato out of my hands Mason) I think he has a great chance to play the wing position or 3 if you like.

Lateral quickness will be an issue there. He plays and guards the 5 in high school. Tough to transition from that to guarding college 3s and handling the ball vs college 3s.
#RollJays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops