2024-2025 Roster

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024-2025 Roster

Postby Realhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:38 pm

HoopsFan01 wrote:
Realhoops wrote:This offseason is something else.

Maybe I'm just way off base -- but I cannot imagine any scenario on any planet in the known universe where there is any tiny fleeting thought given by our coaching staff to throwing Jackson McAndrew out there as a five next year as a freshman. I'm not sure he is going to be physical enough to actually play the THREE at the college level immediately. The five? Good lord.

Yeah, you are way off base. McAndrew is not a 3. He is a prototypical 4 in today's basketball.

So no, he won't be playing the 5, but he also won't be playing the 3.

FWIW, there isn't a huge difference between the 3 and the 4 in Mac's system, but there is absolutely a difference. McAndrew is a 4.

I understand that he's coming in projected as a four. But everything I've seen suggests that in our system he actually might be able to play some of the 3 role that Baylor did -- he can put it on the floor some, he might develop the ability to use his length to defend there, etc., and we *do* have a huge logjam of potential more traditional fours who cannot do those things. I actually said "THREE or four" in my post (I edited it immediately to say that). My reference to his physicality wasn't really intending to suggest I thought he'd be primarily a three -- just that I am not sure he's physically strong enough to play *that* spot immediately, let alone the four, and in no world of reality than any of us live in anywhere near the five.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm

If we're being honest, Jackson's position(s) likely boils down to where he can best be hidden on defense and rebounding, until he bulks up to a point where he slots into the most natural position for his height + skillset combination of 4.
Jaysker12

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:33 am

#RollJays wrote:ChicagoJay a jaysker?

That would be disappointing. Jayskers are the worst.

Also, I am thrilled to see we have this thread discussing starting lineups and roster composition, and another thread on starting lineups was just fired up. Totally necessary! I may start another thread on who will be on Creighton's bench.

Assuming Kalkbrenner/Ashworth are back, the most glaring hole on the roster would be a traditional backup at the center position. We don't need much, considering Kalk plays 42 minutes/game. I'd even take a Keyshawn Feazell type. Banger.
vivid_dude

Postby LJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:37 pm

Stream of conscious post:

Assuming Kalk returns and assuming Mac does his “last ride in my hip pocket to give to a walk-on” trick, it seems pretty much a certainty that one or three of the baby Jays will need to be ready to immediately contribute to get to the second weekend again next year.

The team outside the frosh is the same except swap Trey and Baylor out, Neal and Isaacs in. These two guys are pretty good but I don’t think they replace two guys who are likely to hear their names called at the draft. Thus, those two plus Kalk, Ash, Miller and Green, the four guys getting run at the end of last year, MUST get help by more guys. Playing six guys can’t continue. What a luxury it would be to run second team guys out and not drop off much.

Strap in, there will be a steep learning curve for the lads with so many newbs and no summer trip to work out kinks. Those cupcakes need to come early and often. Nebbie, Kansas, @Alabama and three Bahamas games. I don’t think UNLV is a return neutral is it? Assuming no, that is potentially five cupcakes a majority of which come before the Nebbie game in later November.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaysfan100 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:09 pm

With the return of big fred. I think it’s a sign King and IssacT will be splitting 5 duty’s next year. Yea it’s tough losing kalks D. But king showed when fully healthy he was a menace on offense. His injury and his D I think hurt his progress this year. Hopefully him and IssacT work on their defense. If they can get their D good I think we will be just fine. (Both are threats on the offensive end at the 5)
Jaysfan100

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:12 pm

We absolutely must get consistent production from the four offensively.

It's Ashworth's team to lead vocally.
cujaysfan

Postby go_jays » Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 am

Jaysker12 wrote:If we're being honest, Jackson's position(s) likely boils down to where he can best be hidden on defense and rebounding, until he bulks up to a point where he slots into the most natural position for his height + skillset combination of 4.

The disconnect for most fans is that when they project a position for a certain player, they often only look at what their skillset indicates they could do on the offensive side of the ball... not taking into account the matchup that will likely exist when we don't have the ball.

So I think this would be the more accurate statement.... "where he slots into the most natural position for his physicality/athleticism + skillset"
go_jays

Postby Gojays1512 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 am

Jaysfan100 wrote:With the return of big fred. I think it’s a sign King and IssacT will be splitting 5 duty’s next year. Yea it’s tough losing kalks D. But king showed when fully healthy he was a menace on offense. His injury and his D I think hurt his progress this year. Hopefully him and IssacT work on their defense. If they can get their D good I think we will be just fine. (Both are threats on the offensive end at the 5)

In the most respectful manner, this is the most absurd post I've ever read on here.

1. It is not a sign we will lose Kalk.
2. We would absolutely not be "just fine."

Kalk changes the entire team.
Last edited by Gojays1512 on Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojays1512

Postby Trifecta » Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 am

Jaysfan100 wrote:With the return of big fred. I think it’s a sign King and IssacT will be splitting 5 duty’s next year. Yea it’s tough losing kalks D. But king showed when fully healthy he was a menace on offense. His injury and his D I think hurt his progress this year. Hopefully him and IssacT work on their defense. If they can get their D good I think we will be just fine. (Both are threats on the offensive end at the 5)

Or it can mean that he had no better offers than UCSB? And that since we will be back in The Bahamas he can get some more NIL to bank while he develops?
Trifecta

Postby Trifecta » Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 am

Gojays1512 wrote:

In the most respectful manner, this is the most absurd post I've ever read on here.

1. It is not a sign we will lose Kalk.
2. We would absolutely not be "just fine."

Kalk changes the entire team.

You beat me to it. +1000
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops