Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Ryan Kalkbrenner

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 am

Now we have to wait 4 weeks
SeattleJay

Postby LJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 am

SeattleJay wrote:Now we have to wait 4 weeks

Sure hope the coaches are hitting the portal hard for someone 6’10 or larger whether Kalk returns or not. Very quiet on the big side of the portal. Kentucky is hoarding many 7 foot transfers which will help next year as the kids who don’t get minutes portal again. Jays need another big now.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby #RollJays » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:37 am

LJay wrote:

Sure hope the coaches are hitting the portal hard for someone 6’10 or larger whether Kalk returns or not. Very quiet on the big side of the portal. Kentucky is hoarding many 7 foot transfers which will help next year as the kids who don’t get minutes portal again. Jays need another big now.

Basically go buy a European big if he stays in the draft.
#RollJays

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:41 am

25 years ago, Ryan may have been a lottery pick. Unfortunately for him, in today's NBA game, his game doesn't translate as well.

Is Rudy Gobert the absolute ceiling, if all things fell perfectly? I'm trying as hard as I can to make that connection, but Rudy's athleticism puts him at another level. Scratch that.

Jonas Valanciunis comes to mind. Walker Kessler from the Jazz? A few of the other European guys: Jakob Poetl, Jusuf Nurkic, Ivaca Zubic are serviceable NBA bigs. Clint Capela? Isaiah Hartenstein? Mason Plumlee?

Let's hope the CU NIL bags can make it worthwhile to come back as his precursor to an amazing future professional career, either in the NBA or overseas.
vivid_dude

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 am

vivid_dude wrote:25 years ago, Ryan may have been a lottery pick. Unfortunately for him, in today's NBA game, his game doesn't translate as well.

Is Rudy Gobert the absolute ceiling, if all things fell perfectly? I'm trying as hard as I can to make that connection, but Rudy's athleticism puts him at another level. Scratch that.

Jonas Valanciunis comes to mind. Walker Kessler from the Jazz? A few of the other European guys: Jakob Poetl, Jusuf Nurkic, Ivaca Zubic are serviceable NBA bigs. Clint Capela? Isaiah Hartenstein? Mason Plumlee?

Let's hope the CU NIL bags can make it worthwhile to come back as his precursor to an amazing future professional career, either in the NBA or overseas.

Brook Lopez (although Kalk needs to continue to work on his 3 like Brook did)
SeattleJay

Postby HoopsFan01 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 am

vivid_dude wrote:25 years ago, Ryan may have been a lottery pick. Unfortunately for him, in today's NBA game, his game doesn't translate as well.

He needs to get with whatever trainer Brook Lopez worked with to be able to shoot 3's like he can now.

If Kalk does that he could have a long career in the NBA. He needs to try be a replica of Brook Lopez IMO.
HoopsFan01

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 am

AT would be a pretty good mentor for him.
cujaysfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 am

LJay wrote:

I can just hear that pitch…hey come to Creighton we really need a big man…especially if Kalk stays in the draft. If he doesn’t we can get you 7 minutes a game.

What say you?
TrueBlueJay

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:22 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:
LJay wrote:

I can just hear that pitch…hey come to Creighton we really need a big man…especially if Kalk stays in the draft. If he doesn’t we can get you 7 minutes a game.

What say you?

I agree. That’s a tough sell.

Only things that could be added are: a. Money (ever popular) and b. Starting at center the subsequent year

With that said, I think Mac will hold at least one scholarship until the Kalk situation is resolved.

Obviously, hoping Kalk comes back. Will make a huge difference to the team.
SeattleJay

Postby Helmzy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:06 pm

Fred King
Helmzy

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops