The Olympics

Return to Off Topic

The Olympics

Postby SendDustyIn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:53 pm

I generally enjoy the Olympics, but the NBC coverage just kills me. i want to watch some of the lesser known sports instead of Figure Skating all night, but God help us if they ever cut to Luge. Also, the commercial breaks are just too much. I'll usually watch on a 30 minute to hour delay and still get caught up well before the telecast ends. I get that NBC paid a ridiculous amount for broadcast rights, but damn.

Also, 17 year olds winning Gold Medals make me question a bunch of my life decisions. Can you imagine being the best in the world at something, but still having to study for your pre-Calc test next Friday?

At least the Winter games aren't as jingotastic as the Summer games. Except for Scott Hamilton. That dude loves USA and hates every other country.
User avatar
SendDustyIn
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Chicago

 

Re: The Olympics

Postby Easypaddy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

This sport where you ski for a little while and then shoot a gun is pretty cool.
Easypaddy
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The Olympics

Postby Dundee Hipster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm

The Olympics suck major ass.
User avatar
Dundee Hipster
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: The Olympics

Postby SendDustyIn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Dundee Hipster wrote:The Olympics suck major ass.


Oh damn, the Politics thread is leaking again.
User avatar
SendDustyIn
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: The Olympics

Postby Easypaddy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm

What type of hipster stuff are you into?
Easypaddy
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The Olympics

Postby BBfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

SendDustyIn wrote:I generally enjoy the Olympics, but the NBC coverage just kills me. i want to watch some of the lesser known sports instead of Figure Skating all night, but God help us if they ever cut to Luge. Also, the commercial breaks are just too much. I'll usually watch on a 30 minute to hour delay and still get caught up well before the telecast ends. I get that NBC paid a ridiculous amount for broadcast rights, but damn.

Also, 17 year olds winning Gold Medals make me question a bunch of my life decisions. Can you imagine being the best in the world at something, but still having to study for your pre-Calc test next Friday?

At least the Winter games aren't as jingotastic as the Summer games. Except for Scott Hamilton. That dude loves USA and hates every other country.


The coverage on NBCSP the Olympic Channel have better coverage than main NBC. They show more events and less talking.
BBfan
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: The Olympics

Postby OmahaBen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:41 pm

If you can stream the international feeds through NBCs app, the coverage is fine. They just show the events with no dramatic backstories. They've generally fixed the issues from the first few days where commercials would randomly appear in the middle of an ongoing event.

If you're stuck watching NBC's primetime coverage, it's beyond awful.
OmahaBen
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 am

Re: The Olympics

Postby Jaybird » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Easypaddy wrote:This sport where you ski for a little while and then shoot a gun is pretty cool.


That one's meant to kind of mimic a military maneuver, like how little Finland kicked Russia's ass when they got invaded before WWII. And there's another one where they jump off that ridiculous tower and then they ski off into the woods, although I think they do it on different days (should be one right after the other). The Winter Olympics have it figured out. Which makes me wonder why they can't do some of this for the Summer Olympics too.

Take the marathon. Boring, right? High time they juice it up. Have everybody run ten miles, then stop and try to knock down a stack of milk bottles with baseballs. Run another ten miles, pick up a bow and arrow and shoot something. Go another five, hit that marathoner's wall, then pick up guns and try to shoot little ducks moving back and forth, like in a carnival. And, like in the biathlon, if you miss, you have to go into a little circle and run a penalty lap. So, don't miss.

We could turn the equestrian events into medieval jousts. People would sure as hell watch then, and NBC would love it. And that javelin thing. They just throw it into the ground, right? Well, time to do something about that too. And I'm working on the steeplechase. I don't know, maybe alligators in those water hazards, but that one's still under development.

I really don't know why they don't just put me in charge of some of this stuff. They want TV ratings? I'll give 'em ratings.
Jaybird
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 am

Re: The Olympics

Postby LynchMob » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Jaybird, was this going to be an OWH article until you got let go this morning?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: The Olympics

Postby Jaybird » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

LynchMob wrote:Jaybird, was this going to be an OWH article until you got let go this morning?


I've got some irons in the fire, like running the Olympics, but, for now, this'll be my main gig.

Nah, I'm not that guy. He gets paid to be a fool. i'm doin' it for free.

Wait. Was he one of the guys who had to turn in his playbook? My God, Dirk's still there, isn't he? Please tell me that Dirk and Sam and Lee and Tom are safe. Those guys are like the crown jewels. The Mt. Rushmore of sports reporters. I guess we'll find out Sunday. If, instead of Dickson at the top of page two of sports, Dirk has another fifty thoughts on the state of husker hoops, then we'll know who got chopped and who lives to write another day.
Jaybird
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 am


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests