The reason I hate UNL

Return to Off Topic

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Jaynut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 am

Easypaddy wrote:From a Yahoo sports Article... ouch lol

When he is inevitably let go, Riley will make $170,000 per month through February 2021. Former coach Bo Pelini is still slated to get nearly $2.2 million between now and February 2019 and Eichorst is due $1.7 million. You don’t have to be on the House Appropriations Committee to deduce that Nebraska potentially paying out $10.5 million for three people not to work isn’t the most efficient use of state funding

Add into that another $4.0 million that Miles will have remaining after March 2018. That gets pricey for a state that isn't even meeting its budget projections, and whose budget cut funding for UNL and raised tuition 8% over two years.
Jaynut

Postby Easypaddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am

T-bone wrote:

When he is inevitably let go, Riley will make $170,000 per month through February 2021. Former coach Bo Pelini is still slated to get nearly $2.2 million between now and February 2019 and Eichorst is due $1.7 million. You don’t have to be on the House Appropriations Committee to deduce that Nebraska potentially paying out $10.5 million for three people not to work isn’t the most efficient use of state funding

The state does not fund the athletic program at Nebraska.

Well that's good, imo.
Easypaddy

Postby cufan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:01 am

Jaynut wrote:

Add into that another $4.0 million that Miles will have remaining after March 2018. That gets pricey for a state that isn't even meeting its budget projections, and whose budget cut funding for UNL and raised tuition 8% over two years.

I don't like being put into a position defending UNL, but have looked at the numbers regarding the $$$ they get now that they are full Big Ten Members? They won't even blink paying these guys off. Further, these are not state funds as somebody else mentioned, not taxpayer dollars.

I know we feel big time now that we are in the Big East (and we are in the basketball world), but the big boy football schools just play in a different universe from a financial standpoint.

I actually applaud UNL for making the decisive move. I havent seen that sort of leadership down there in a while. They made the move the first instance they could. Hopefully this doesnt mean they are determined to get any better at basketball.
cufan

Postby Easypaddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 pm

It's still funny though.
Easypaddy

Postby bird_call » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

cufan wrote:
I don't like being put into a position defending UNL, but have looked at the numbers regarding the $$$ they get now that they are full Big Ten Members? They won't even blink paying these guys off.

Nebraska's athletic budget was $102M last year. If 10.5M is going to ex-football coaches, that's 10% of their entire athletic budget for all sports.

I'd be blinking back the tears in my eyes if I was a Nebraska fan.
bird_call

Postby cufan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

bird_call wrote:
cufan wrote:
I don't like being put into a position defending UNL, but have looked at the numbers regarding the $$$ they get now that they are full Big Ten Members? They won't even blink paying these guys off.

Nebraska's athletic budget was $102M last year. If 10.5M is going to ex-football coaches, that's 10% of their entire athletic budget for all sports.

Faulty analysis.

$10.5 million total payout, spread out over many years. $102M is single year season / revenue. It doesn't even come close to 10% annual budget.

Additionally, 17-18 is the year they first get their full share of TV money.
cufan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 pm

cu8493 wrote:He was a weak AD. Didn't have the balls to fire Bo after Bo publicly challenged him to do so after the first Iowa debacle the year before he finally did let Bo go (which them came after a 9 win season). Folded like a cheap suit and fired Yori when a self-entitled, whiny player and her helicopter dad whined about her coaching and threatened to go public, and then made a horrible hire to replace her without barely a search. Botched hiring of Bo's successor, hiring the first nice guy he talked to - who happened to have barely a .500 career winning percentage. Failed to take fire Miles end of last year, despite absolute incompetence. Had no balls to stand up to Big Ten. Bent over multiple times to take it you know where when Big Ten came up with idiotic Friday night games idea despite half the teams saying no, never mind that Friday night HS football is the main event in nearly every town across the state and almost no one in the state supports Friday night games. And then inexplicably agreeing to give up the Black Friday game to name just a couple places where he has been steam rolled by the Big Ten. If you want to see NEB stay down, you wanted him to stay. But the anti-athletics Perlman it's now gone as Chancellor and there is a new Chancellor in place who is committed to a resurgence to competitive teams. Whether they get it right remains to be seen.

Good summary. Add in that he engineered Bo's firing without getting sufficient support among boosters and other big hitters who felt cut out of the process and he was putting a sword above his neck for sure. I had some people tell me he was being clever and smart by that.. I just laughed.

he was a terrible AD
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaybird » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:11 pm

bird_call wrote:
cufan wrote:

I think there've been some other lower-profile coach buyouts/payoffs recently too in corndog town. Hank Hughes was owed another full season on his contract when Riley sent him on his way after one year, at around 300k per year. That'd be paid off by now and I realize that 300 grand to nebraska is like the loose change I find in my couch after another evening of napping in front of the TV while eating cheetos. And I'm not sure it was ever announced what Connie Yori's separation terms were, but I'm guessing she didn't settle for a hearty handshake after officially "resigning".

Riley had a rep for never firing assistants, but over the past year he's bounced at least three guys, including two who were longtime friends/fellow coaches, and one who got a year after leaving another nice gig to accept nebraska's offer. Don't know if he's panicking because he knows he's in over his head, but I'll bet even Trev the Ax must be thinking "damn, that's cold".
Jaybird

Postby SendDustyIn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Wow, the Washington Post is weighing in.

TL;DR version: Don't fire coaches with winning records or else no one will want the job anymore.
SendDustyIn

Postby T-bone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

bird_call wrote:
cufan wrote:

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but I have numbers from Creighton that say their revenue is greater by 50%+, much less their budget.
T-bone

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic