The reason I hate UNL

Return to Off Topic

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

I've changed my position on this. After everything that has happened the last few days,and everything the cornball fans have said and done, I do not see that continuing the series any longer is worth it. Lets play out whatever contract is left and then replace it with a home and home against a different power conference school.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

I guess I'd get on board with Nebraska being a buy-game in Omaha every year.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Easypaddy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 am

I realize this post is a few days late. And it's kind of a rant/ramble. Anyway, here goes.

I got into it with some Husker fan in the bathroom at the Clink. He said, "Have fun rooting for Scott Frost," or something like that. I said (in probably less eloquent terms), "Good Sir, I am indifferent to Nebraska football." His reply was something like "Then get out of the state," or something dumb. I'm not trying to single this guy out.

I enjoy seeing Nebraska basketball fans suffer. Because they hate Creighton. They REALLY hate Jayskers. I mean, so do people here, but some of these dudes are on a different level. Which, again, is why I enjoy watching them writhe in pain because their lives are apparently pretty miserable already and losing to Creighton 7 years in a row has to suck real bad.

It's also kind of an odd hill to die on. As someone mentioned, the younger generation is all in on the Jays. So I am more than happy to fight this fight.

There are other Jayskers though. Nebraska athletics first. BUT they don't hate Creighton. They root for us, except against Nebraska. We need to welcome these folks with open arms. The opposite of the Nebraska basketball fan strategy. Come root for us, we have a good product. We understand your basketball team leaves a lot to be desired. It's ok. We're here for you man. We have beer.

Just a change of heart for me personally I guess.
Easypaddy

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am

I just think it would be a special kind of awesome if Ras/Mac decided to forego scheduling the Huskers next year.

After that long lull they took where they refused to schedule us when we were good, then built up the series lead, and now we have it by just one game and have won seven straight. Their team actually does look improved this year, almost like Miles MIGHT be figuring out something (though I'll have to see some continued evidence to believe it for sure), and next year is supposed to be on their floor.

So just don't schedule it next year. Give them another year to think about this defeat and the opportunity they seemed to have.

After that, reopen discussions but from a point of real leverage -- we set the date that we want to do it, we set the time of day for the game, it's more of a 2 for 1 with 2 in Omaha for every one in Lincoln. Something like that.

I get the "fun" of the rivalry -- but man it's stressful to even think about the next time they get truly lucky and actually win one. I mean, statistically it has to happen eventually, and it will suck.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby jaysfan719 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:I just think it would be a special kind of awesome if Ras/Mac decided to forego scheduling the Huskers next year.

After that long lull they took where they refused to schedule us when we were good, then built up the series lead, and now we have it by just one game and have won seven straight. Their team actually does look improved this year, almost like Miles MIGHT be figuring out something (though I'll have to see some continued evidence to believe it for sure), and next year is supposed to be on their floor.

So just don't schedule it next year. Give them another year to think about this defeat and the opportunity they seemed to have.

After that, reopen discussions but from a point of real leverage -- we set the date that we want to do it, we set the time of day for the game, it's more of a 2 for 1 with 2 in Omaha for every one in Lincoln. Something like that.

I get the "fun" of the rivalry -- but man it's stressful to even think about the next time they get truly lucky and actually win one. I mean, statistically it has to happen eventually, and it will suck.

You know if we stopped scheduling games with them they would all say something along the lines of "Creighton stopped scheduling games because they're scared to lose to us". We wouldn't hear the end of it. And I'm not sure if there's enough vodka in the world to help me drown them out. :lol:
jaysfan719

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 pm

The cons of cancelling the series outweigh the pros by a significant margin. What idiotic husker fans say or do will not influence Mac and Ras in their decision making. Can't help but think that backing away from the series would significantly damage our relationships with local coaches. It could be used by Nebraska to negatively recruit. We have pulled the best talent from the state these past 3 years and it has paid huge dividends.
Jaysker12

Postby blueblood » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Why is it you think nu basketball is improving? What is wrong with you people? Where in the hell is this coming from? First I read it in the OWH, from 3 different writers, then it was 1620, and now even posters here.

Look at this;

vs EIU W72-68
vs UNT W86-67
@ SJU L79-56
vs UND W92-70
vs UCF L68-59
vs MRST W84-59
vs LBSU W85-80
vs BC W71-62
@ 3 MSU L86-57
vs 14 MINN W78-68
@ CREI L75-65

What in those results show an NCAA tourney team? Where do you even see NIT in that? They beat Minnesota AT HOME. Minnesota has now lost 3 of 4 before beating DRAKE by 1 point. Their only "quality" win would be Boston College and it was at home. Look at the losses. Not exactly quality losses. OK, they are improved but they are improved on a losing record, how hard is that?

Does playing one half of a game at Creighton well constitute the glowing adoration nu basketball is getting? Fuck no. Show me some national media love. There is none.

Fellas, you fell for it. The local media got ya. huskervision at its finest. This is the same old Miles team. This is the same old nu basketball. THEY SUCK.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm

blueblood wrote:Fellas, you fell for it. The local media got ya. huskervision at its finest. This is the same old Miles team. This is the same old nu basketball. THEY SUCK.

+1. Totally agree. Creighton played a D- first half against Nebraska, who could only muster a five-point lead - and ended up losing by double digits. And I would argue CU only played a C or C+ second half.

There is nothing about this Nebraska team that makes me believe they will buck the trend of awfulness, with the exception of an 11 or 12-game stretch a few years ago, under Miles. I could end up being wrong, and they might win more games than expected, but this is not the team based on eye test, wins and track record.
vivid_dude

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm

that didn't take long - Frost and Moos taking a page right out of the Osborne playbook

play the weakest competition that will come to Lincoln - just booked:

* South Dakota State—Sept 12, 2020; Aug. 31, 2024; Sept. 9, 2028
* North Dakota—Sept. 3, 2022; Sept. 19, 2026
* Georgia Southern—Sept. 10, 2022

You read that right - TWO FCS (IAA) teams for 2022
cujaysfan

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm

cujaysfan wrote:that didn't take long - Frost and Moos taking a page right out of the Osborne playbook

play the weakest competition that will come to Lincoln - just booked:

* South Dakota State—Sept 12, 2020; Aug. 31, 2024; Sept. 9, 2028
* North Dakota—Sept. 3, 2022; Sept. 19, 2026
* Georgia Southern—Sept. 10, 2022

You read that right - TWO FCS (IAA) teams for 2022

Hey now...normally, I am the last person to defend anything UNL but Georgia Southern moved up to FBS in 2014...although shortly thereafter the coach (Monken) left for Army and Georgia Southern was dreadful this year. They may be more competitive by 2022.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic