The reason I hate UNL

Return to Off Topic

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Old MVC Days » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Nebraska will be a solid 3 seed in the NIT. Husker fans just don't understand basketball and that you can't live off of your name like a lot of programs do in college football.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby SendDustyIn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:Nebraska will be a solid 3 seed in the NIT. Husker fans just don't understand basketball and that you can't live off of your name like a lot of programs do in college football.

Someone better tell UNC this.
SendDustyIn

Postby JayPak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm

They could win 7 straight or drop 1 of the next 9 and sneak into the First Four, it’s just that the odds are highly against them doing that.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby 1620Jay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm

JayPak wrote:Vegas has been off on Nebraska ATS all year. That has nothing to do with Nebraska’s dismal RPI prospects.

Nebraska’s trending up and Maryland down due to injuries, but neither is a tournament team now. Hence, the 50 percent chance neither gets in.

Certainly it’s possible Nebraska goes better than 3-3. But 5-1 only gets them to 54 RPI, and even at 6-0 they’d be at 43 and have to win one at MSG. Welcome to life in the midmajor B1G.
Those RPI numbers may end up being exact. But, it’s not a sure thing. Other bubble teams have to win as well. The Big Ten is down..but I wouldn’t call getting four teams in the dance “mid major.” I think those who put the key number at 23 are likely right. There is a path for Nebraska but it will be tough because finishing 4-2 in the regular season is probably the best I see them doing.
1620Jay

Postby JaysLifer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 pm

1620Jay wrote: The Big Ten is down..but I wouldn’t call getting four teams in the dance “mid major.”

You know, it’s funny. I remember making this exact argument about the Valley back in 2006. If that’s what you’re going for, have at it. Maybe some day, like the Jays were fortunate to find, a better league will come your way. Big 12, perhaps?
JaysLifer

Postby 1620Jay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 am

JaysLifer wrote:
1620Jay wrote: The Big Ten is down..but I wouldn’t call getting four teams in the dance “mid major.”

You know, it’s funny. I remember making this exact argument about the Valley back in 2006. If that’s what you’re going for, have at it. Maybe some day, like the Jays were fortunate to find, a better league will come your way. Big 12, perhaps?

I don’t think a league that just a few years ago had two teams in the final four and normally gets 6-7 teams in the big dance is Nebraska’s problem. Also, I don’t know why you are comparing the Valley to the Big Ten. There is no comparison.
1620Jay

Postby JayPak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am

You’re the one who said getting four teams into the tourney makes a conference not be a midmajor, so by your definition Creighton never was in a mid.
My definition of a midmajor, rather, is a conference where nearly every loss hurts your resume’ and nearly every win isn’t a good win, i.e. the Valley and B1G this year are both midmajors.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby 1620Jay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 am

JayPak wrote:You’re the one who said getting four teams into the tourney makes a conference not be a midmajor, so by your definition Creighton never was in a mid.
My definition of a midmajor, rather, is a conference where nearly every loss hurts your resume’ and nearly every win isn’t a good win, i.e. the Valley and B1G this year are both midmajors.

Uh no, that’s fine if that’s how you see it. To me, what determines a mid major vs a major is a history of success with getting teams to the big dance. Big Ten has a track record...the Mo Valley does not. Getting four teams to the dance was not a norm for the Mo Valley. Just like getting four teams to the dance is not a norm for the Big Ten.
1620Jay

Postby AttyAlum » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 pm

This year at least, the Big 10 is very much a mid major - one or two good teams, a group of mediocre teams and a few bad teams. Getting four teams in the dance isn't really impressive when you have 14 members.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 am

1620Jay wrote:
JayPak wrote:You’re the one who said getting four teams into the tourney makes a conference not be a midmajor, so by your definition Creighton never was in a mid.

Uh no, that’s fine if that’s how you see it. To me, what determines a mid major vs a major is a history of success with getting teams to the big dance. Big Ten has a track record...the Mo Valley does not. Getting four teams to the dance was not a norm for the Mo Valley. Just like getting four teams to the dance is not a norm for the Big Ten.

The Big Ten averages 3.2 NCAA Tournament teams per season, so you’re right, four is not the norm. Also, by your own criteria, wouldn’t you then consider Nebraska to be a mid-major basketball program?
Altman's Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic