The reason I hate UNL

Return to Off Topic

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby 1620Jay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

Altman's Advisor wrote:
1620Jay wrote:
JayPak wrote:You’re the one who said getting four teams into the tourney makes a conference not be a midmajor, so by your definition Creighton never was in a mid.
My definition of a midmajor, rather, is a conference where nearly every loss hurts your resume’ and nearly every win isn’t a good win, i.e. the Valley and B1G this year are both midmajors.

Uh no, that’s fine if that’s how you see it. To me, what determines a mid major vs a major is a history of success with getting teams to the big dance. Big Ten has a track record...the Mo Valley does not. Getting four teams to the dance was not a norm for the Mo Valley. Just like getting four teams to the dance is not a norm for the Big Ten.

The Big Ten averages 3.2 NCAA Tournament teams per season, so you’re right, four is not the norm. Also, by your own criteria, wouldn’t you then consider Nebraska to be a mid-major basketball program?
Since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten that 3.2 number is not even close. And no, I wouldn’t consider Nebraska a mid major since they play in a high major conference. A bad basketball program? Sure. Mid major? No.
1620Jay
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

 

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm

1620Jay wrote:Since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten that 3.2 number is not even close.

The history of the conference goes back further than 2011.
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby 1620Jay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 am

Altman's Advisor wrote:
1620Jay wrote:Since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten that 3.2 number is not even close.

The history of the conference goes back further than 2011.

What a conference was in 1975 has no bearing on if you are or are not a mid major now. That’s just dumb. In the modern history of college basketball the Big Ten is not a mid major. But, if you want to go that route..the Big Ten has the second highest total bids in the history of college basketball. That doesn’t sound very mid majorish to me.
1620Jay
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 am

1620Jay wrote:
Altman's Advisor wrote:
1620Jay wrote:Since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten that 3.2 number is not even close.

The history of the conference goes back further than 2011.

What a conference was in 1975 has no bearing on if you are or are not a mid major now. That’s just dumb. In the modern history of college basketball the Big Ten is not a mid major. But, if you want to go that route..the Big Ten has the second highest total bids in the history of college basketball. That doesn’t sound very mid majorish to me.

I never said the Big Ten was a mid-major. You said the conference normally gets 6-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament, which isn’t true unless you are abitrality choosing the data points.
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 am

Whoa, Norm Peterson's going all in on keeping Miles!

Miles has now been here six years. And if you don't think Miles is the right guy or are on the fence about him, how many more coaches-times-six-years are you willing to wait to find that right guy?

If you motherfuckers can't live with a couple of down seasons every now and then while a guy tries to build a program, and demand we fire the coach every six years, I am going to be dead before we win an NCAA tourney game.


Pardon the language, Norm loves him some Tim Miles and his .402 BIG conference record. We love him too, Norm!
User avatar
Wizard of Westroads
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 am

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby 1620Jay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:13 am

Well, I really didn’t think I had to take into account the 40’s when what...8 teams were invited? So, I went back to 85 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams and the Big Ten has only had 4 or less teams invited a total of two times. That’s out of a total of 32 tournaments. So yes, having four or less teams invited is certainly not the norm.
1620Jay
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm

1620Jay wrote:Well, I really didn’t think

Honest mistake. I won’t hold it against you.
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby 1620Jay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Altman's Advisor wrote:
1620Jay wrote:Well, I really didn’t think

Honest mistake. I won’t hold it against you.

Says the guy who believes comparing the number of bids in 1940 is equivalent to today’s selection process. It’s okay...you probably didn’t realize the tournament expanded in 85.
1620Jay
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 pm

1620Jay wrote:
Altman's Advisor wrote:
1620Jay wrote:Well, I really didn’t think

Honest mistake. I won’t hold it against you.

Says the guy who believes comparing the number of bids in 1940 is equivalent to today’s selection process. It’s okay...you probably didn’t realize the tournament expanded in 85.

If we’re erasing history based on updated criteria, then Nebraska should probably put those 5 football national titles in a closet somewhere, yeah?
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: The reason I hate UNL

Postby 1620Jay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Nope. Today doesn’t change history but to use an average number of bids since 1940 when the tournament has changed many of times is laughable. The real number would be to use how many bids the Big Ten has received since the tournament expanded to 64 + 4. Since you know....come March that’s the number of teams that will be getting in the tournament. Not 8 like it was in 1940. Would you say it’s not the norm for Creighton to receive a bid? It’s okay if you thought the tournament was always 64 + 4. Everybody makes mistakes. But, my point remains...it’s not the norm for the Big Ten to have four or less teams invited.
1620Jay
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest