The next President

Return to Off Topic

Re: The next President

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

I'm still blown away that Trumpers and the Republican Party are going all in to support an accused child sexual predator in the name of "needing" his vote to keep tax breaks for the wealthiest of their donors.

It's mind boggling to me the hypocrisy in today's politics, on both sides. Republicans are all about calling for boycotts and the dismissal of celebrities accused of inappropriate sexual conduct with adult women -- but it's totally cool that Trump and Moore are accused of worse conduct themselves, and we shouldn't even really talk about that. Democrats are appalled at the conduct of Trump and Moore -- but can find ways to suggest that Franken and Conyers should not step down (although Conyers now has). It's not that hard, really -- if it bothers you and your moral compass when one side does it, it bothers you when your side does it, too.

We should drop a bomb on the state of Alabama if they are actually ignorant enough to send Roy Moore to Congress. That alone should be enough to merit permanent banishment from the U.S.

Oh -- and bravo to Time for throwing Person of the Year right in Trump's orange face.
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

 

Re: The next President

Postby jfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm

They will probably elect Moore because they would rather elect an accused child molester than a Democrat. That is how tribal we have become in America. That is how a complete moron like Trump was elected. We need to get back to where the Parties would at least try to work together for the common good of the country. It was never perfect, but right now, our politics are not functioning properly. It's all about getting elected, not about what is good for the Country. Noted Trump admirer Jeff Flake is right. We need Country before party, not the other way around.
jfan
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: The next President

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm

agree - it's why it would be great for a guy like romney to primary trump

he's a decent man. and qualified. and perhaps some of the left would support him over his prescience over russia. pretty sure for us to get back to some level of decency and normalcy it will have to happen somethign like that (internally for GOP).

one term - and maybe step aside - and the whole thing reboots.

electing a bernie/warren/(insert other dem here) is just gonna dig the trenches deeper

it'd be nice but - it probably won't happen

still betting on DT reelection in 2020 til that number gets sub 70% - it's getting closer

but we're probably doomed
User avatar
cujaysfan
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 am

Re: The next President

Postby Easypaddy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm

jfan wrote: They will probably elect Moore because they would rather elect an accused child molester than a Democrat. That is how tribal we have become in America. That is how a complete moron like Trump was elected. We need to get back to where the Parties would at least try to work together for the common good of the country. It was never perfect, but right now, our politics are not functioning properly. It's all about getting elected, not about what is good for the Country. Noted Trump admirer Jeff Flake is right. We need Country before party, not the other way around.


Democrats think that the parties should "work together," and "reach across the aisle," etc. etc.

Republicans don't think this way. Screw you. We're going to pass a tax bill that overwhelmingly favors corporations and wealthy elites and screws over everyone else. What are you going to do about it? They play to win and do everything they can to keep power once they get in office.

Maybe trying to compromise or work together with Republicans *is* the problem.
Easypaddy
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The next President

Postby LynchMob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 pm

We need to get back to where the Parties would at least try to work together for the common good of the country.


You mean like when the Democrats accepted hundreds of Republican amendments on the ACA? Like when President Obama went to the Republican conference and took questions on the bill from GOP Congresspeople or over an hour?

Don't make this some ridiculous "both sides" thing, only one side acts like this.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob
 
Posts: 1951
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: The next President

Postby jfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

LynchMob wrote:
We need to get back to where the Parties would at least try to work together for the common good of the country.


You mean like when the Democrats accepted hundreds of Republican amendments on the ACA? Like when President Obama went to the Republican conference and took questions on the bill from GOP Congresspeople or over an hour?

Don't make this some ridiculous "both sides" thing, only one side acts like this.
My statement wasn't a "ridiculous" both sides argument. If you are saying that Democrats never obstruct, you are wrong. Both sides do this when it is in their political interest and that is what we need to move away from. I agree that Republicans are much more tribal right now and don't seem to want to compromise. There is nothing wrong with what I stated and it's the way the country should work whether you agree or not!
jfan
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: The next President

Postby OmahaBen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

You act like it's 51/49 the GOPs fault when it's more like 90/10.

The problem is the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus wing of the GOP, because their whole reason for being is to never compromise and never give in. Stop electing and supporting those wingnuts.
OmahaBen
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 am

Re: The next President

Postby jays911 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm

jfan wrote:
LynchMob wrote:
We need to get back to where the Parties would at least try to work together for the common good of the country.


You mean like when the Democrats accepted hundreds of Republican amendments on the ACA? Like when President Obama went to the Republican conference and took questions on the bill from GOP Congresspeople or over an hour?

Don't make this some ridiculous "both sides" thing, only one side acts like this.
My statement wasn't a "ridiculous" both sides argument. If you are saying that Democrats never obstruct, you are wrong. Both sides do this when it is in their political interest and that is what we need to move away from. I agree that Republicans are much more tribal right now and don't seem to want to compromise. There is nothing wrong with what I stated and it's the way the country should work whether you agree or not!


Why do you even try with this gaggle? The world is black and white to them, not the nuanced gray of reality.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 am

Re: The next President

Postby CU Final Four » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Wales:

I’m blown away that the alleged rapist Harvey Weinstein palled around with the Clintons, they took his money and went to his fundraisers even though they were warned and knew all about him. In today’s NYT the story is that Lena Dunham told the campaign. And, of course, one of the Obama daughters interned for Harvey.

I guess Hillary didn’t mind associating with Harvey the rapist because she is married to one. Allegedly.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
User avatar
CU Final Four
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Re: The next President

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Wales:

I’m blown away that the alleged rapist Harvey Weinstein palled around with the Clintons, they took his money and went to his fundraisers even though they were warned and knew all about him. In today’s NYT the story is that Lena Dunham told the campaign. And, of course, one of the Obama daughters interned for Harvey.

I guess Hillary didn’t mind associating with Harvey the rapist because she is married to one. Allegedly.


Thanks there, ol reliable CUFFy. You just proved my point.

I’m disgusted by both. But my point - which you epitomized - is that far too many have double standards on this. Trumpers freak out that Hillary got money from Weinstein and that Bill was Bill - but just want to ignore the allegations against Trump and Moore. Like you did there.

And there are other differences, too. Nobody wanted to elect Weinstein president or Senator. And he was vilified and everyone in the Democratic Party has denounced him. And the DNC returned money to distance itself. But with Trump and Moore, it’s all in and give more financial support. Because, you know, better a pedophile with “R” after his name than a Democrat who might vote against pushing even more wealth to the top 1% or gutting any kind of support for anyone outside the 1%. (And as an aside - how hilarious is it that it appears the Trumpers who forced through a 500 page tax plan written in the margins by lobbyists and unread by every single one of them before voting screwed it up and actually included a provision that’d going to cost their big corporate lobbyists $300 BILLION!!!)

Knew I could count on you to walk right through that door.
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron