The next President

Return to Off Topic

Re: The next President

Postby KenoshaJay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 am

vivid_dude wrote:
Trump embarrasses America most times he talks. Have you spoken to anybody from Europe or other areas of the world in recent months about Trump? I have. They just laugh and ask "what the hell is going on with you guys" in whatever accent they have. Any person of average intelligence who watches him speak understands this isn't normal. He is making America a laughingstock.

I was in Jerusalem on Inauguration Day and have been in Germany and England on 2 separate trips. Have spoken with 20+ people visiting the US over the past 7 months (Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia, Pakistan, Jordan, France).

Have spoken with folks about healthcare, terrorism, the economy, foreign affairs.

Trump has his issues no doubt. Let time play things out.

We must be talking with completely different types of people. American life is viewed in a much brighter view in comparison to the past 6 years.
KenoshaJay

Postby bird_call » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:09 am

cujaysfan wrote:that is if you agree that hillary is a bee sting

i'd equate it more to - would you rather be shot or stabbed

you're gonna die either way - so what's the difference

and this is my original point about voting against HRC still being defensible - some may disagree - and that's fine

It is more like the difference between being stabbed and setting off a nuke. You may still be dead either way, but there is still a big difference in how many people get taken down. Trump is undermining our democratic institutions and norms. Angry, fearful people elected this joker just because they wanted to watch the world burn.
bird_call

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am

that's just like, your opinion man

everyone has their version of palatable

you all should have voted for the pothead - he did a nice job in new mexico
cujaysfan

Postby jayball » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am

Clintons are not in power. They are done. Analyzing their faults and mistakes is naval gazing and is only useful for providing self serving justifications for the ridiculousness of having Trump as President.

The GOP is still here and has no choice but to grapple with how Trump took over the party and what kind of party it will be in the future. Nativist nationalistic populism fueled by propaganda will eventually undermine our system of governance and economy. Historically it has destabilized the world. Conservatives used to believe that too.

“Rather than fighting the populist wave that threatened to engulf us, rather than defending the enduring principles that were consonant with everything that we knew and had believed in, we pretended that the emperor wasn’t naked,” he adds. “Even worse: We checked our critical faculties at the door and pretended that the emperor was making sense.”

“We have given in to the politics of anger—the belief that riling up the base can make up for failed attempts to broaden the electorate. These are the spasms of a dying party. Anger and resentment and blaming groups of people for our problems might work politically in the short term, but it’s a dangerous impulse in a pluralistic society, and we know from history that it’s an impulse that, once acted upon, never ends well.”

“We’re only as good as our information, and if we lose our sense of objective truth, we lose everything. Whatever the source, a steady diet of bad information, conveyed in bad faith, can over time become a serious threat to a democracy. Over time, a determined effort to undermine the very idea of truth softens the ground for anti-democratic impulses. … Enduring democracies depend on the acceptance of shared facts, facts such as: certified elections are valid, millions of votes were not illegally cast in the 2016 election, vaccinations don’t cause autism, and two Hawaiian newspapers announcing the birth of Barack Obama more than 50 years ago probably means that Obama was born in Hawaii"

“As I layered in my defense mechanisms, I even found myself saying things like, ‘If I took the time to respond to every presidential tweet, there would be little time for anything else.’ Given the volume and velocity of tweets from both the Trump campaign and then the White House, this was certainly true. But it was also a monumental dodge. It would be like Noah saying, ‘If I spent all my time obsessing about the coming flood, there would be little time for anything else.’ At a certain point, if one is being honest, the flood becomes the thing that is most worthy of attention. At a certain point, it might be time to build an ark.” -Jeff Flake

Time will tell how far down the rabbithole we go. This is a stress test of check and balances. All of the checks hinge on GOP's leaders fidelity to American ideals and traditions.
jayball

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Can a Trump supporter explain something to me please?

Today, Jeff Sessions says (paraphrasing) that he is going to make it easier to jail journalists who do not reveal their sources. Putting aside how dangerous and unAmerican that is, Trump proclaims repeatedly that if you hear"sources say," it's made up and not true. It's all fake news. If the sources are all made up, then why is the administration so insistent on identifying the sources? See the problem there?

I know the answer, by the way. But I'd love to hear a Trump person try and solve that riddle.

Here is a compliment for Donald Trump. He was able to pull off the biggest con job in American history.
vivid_dude

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:35 pm

man - that's a good discussion - but i'd like to expand it

why is journalism so sloppy now? i think there are a lot of problems with 'unnamed sources' the last six mos

my divide on distaste for politicians and journalism is pretty narrow

i think the quality of our government and erosion of journalism which has evolved into water carrying and cheer leading from both sides for the various outlets go hand in glove
Last edited by cujaysfan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cujaysfan

Postby OmahaBen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:50 pm

blueblood wrote:only want a concession that both the Clintons and Trump are equally and inherently bad people.

No, they're not. And you're an idiot if you think so.

One is a common cold. The other is ebola. One can be handled by your system, the other will literally kill you.
OmahaBen

Postby blueblood » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for calling me an idiot. Must be nice to be morally superior. Please kick me in the ass if I ever enter this thread again.
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm

equal is the word people may argue with

inherently bad people definitely applies to the clintons and trump, IMO
cujaysfan

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm

You guys should start a religion thread and really send this thing into the sewer.
McKinney's Neighbor

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic