Corn football coach’s final pre-game talk

Return to Off Topic

Corn football coach’s final pre-game talk

Postby CU Final Four » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Men:

It is no secret that this is my final game as your head coach here at Nebraska. Not only is it my final game here, it probably ends my career in football. Since I was your age, my entire work life has been football and I have loved nearly every minute of it. I’ve had my ups and downs, but the downs have been few. And the pay and perks have been great.

I asked myself what would motivate this team. Hatred for the bordering state of Iowa is foolishness. Trying to win the vaunted Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy has no appeal to you. That’s all fake. The grocery store paid big bucks for the commercial access to us and we gladly took their money to feed the financial beast that is the athletic department.

I could also do the old “win one for the Gipper” speech by Knute Rockne. We had our own George Gipp with Sam Foltz. We honored Sam’s memory last year. Today one thing I want you to keep in mind is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Sam was driving home to his beloved Nebraska when he was killed in a car wreck. So today I urge you to play with all of your heart and leave nothing on the field. Any one of us could die tomorrow. Give it your best effort. In the words of A.E. Housman, “And early though the laurel grows/ It withers quicker than the rose.”

Given my many years coaching football I have learned motivation comes from within. So, to borrow a phrase, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”

Play for yourselves. Play for your teammates. Play for your families. Be greedy out there.

I came to Nebraska out of my own self-interest. I was paid a fortune. I moved to Lincoln with the best intentions but it didn’t work out. But I won’t be wondering where my next meal comes from on Saturday. As you go through life, think about what’s personally best for you and your family.

Today your self-interest lies with beating Iowa. Let’s do it as a team.
AMDG
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Re: Corn football coach’s final pre-game talk

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:32 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Men:

It is no secret that this is my final game as your head coach here at Nebraska. Not only is it my final game here, it probably ends my career in football. Since I was your age, my entire work life has been football and I have loved nearly every minute of it. I’ve had my ups and downs, but the downs have been few. And the pay and perks have been great.

I asked myself what would motivate this team. Hatred for the bordering state of Iowa is foolishness. Trying to win the vaunted Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy has no appeal to you. That’s all fake. The grocery store paid big bucks for the commercial access to us and we gladly took their money to feed the financial beast that is the athletic department.

I could also do the old “win one for the Gipper” speech by Knute Rockne. We had our own George Gipp with Sam Foltz. We honored Sam’s memory last year. Today one thing I want you to keep in mind is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Sam was driving home to his beloved Nebraska when he was killed in a car wreck. So today I urge you to play with all of your heart and leave nothing on the field. Any one of us could die tomorrow. Give it your best effort. In the words of A.E. Housman, “And early though the laurel grows/ It withers quicker than the rose.”

Given my many years coaching football I have learned motivation comes from within. So, to borrow a phrase, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”

Play for yourselves. Play for your teammates. Play for your families. Be greedy out there.

I came to Nebraska out of my own self-interest. I was paid a fortune. I moved to Lincoln with the best intentions but it didn’t work out. But I won’t be wondering where my next meal comes from on Saturday. As you go through life, think about what’s personally best for you and your family.

What the hell?
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Men:

Wizard of Westroads

Postby ZMagic30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 am

Glad everyone else is having the same reaction to this that I did
ZMagic30

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 am

And an entirely predictable reaction from “everyone.”

I thought I might see some schaienfrunde here as the vaunted Big Red suffers an epic meltdown not seen in decades.

Or maybe a comment on the $16 million plus the Corn is burning as it pays former coaches and the ex-AD.

The quote from Gordon Gecko should have elicited a comment.

And maybe I didn’t pick the best line from “On an Athlete Dying Young.”

College sports can be way more than entertainment. “The human drama of athletic competition” to cite ABC’s old “Wide World of Sports” is big part of American society.

College football is not just the minor league for the pathetic and grasping NFL. College sports, properly understood, is not just bread and circuses for one’s tribe.

Reflect back on Mac’s talk after that defeat to Baylor. That is one reason why college sports are important and not just another circus. Also why I love the college games.
AMDG
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

CU Final Four wrote:And an entirely predictable reaction from “everyone.”

I thought I might see some schaienfrunde here as the vaunted Big Red suffers an epic meltdown not seen in decades.

Or maybe a comment on the $16 million plus the Corn is burning as it pays former coaches and the ex-AD.

The quote from Gordon Gecko should have elicited a comment.

And maybe I didn’t pick the best line from “On an Athlete Dying Young.”

College sports can be way more than entertainment. “The human drama of athletic competition” to cite ABC’s old “Wide World of Sports” is big part of American society.

College football is not just the minor league for the pathetic and grasping NFL. College sports, properly understood, is not just bread and circuses for one’s tribe.

Reflect back on Mac’s talk after that defeat to Baylor. That is one reason why college sports are important and not just another circus. Also why I love the college games.

Predictable indeed - not sure you’ve ever posted anything that anyone thought was funny or actually made sense.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Was he trying to be funny?
vivid_dude

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Wales and vivid:

For the last 30 years and into the immediate future, carbon dioxide emitted by humans and machines created by humans has gone into the atmosphere and at record levels never before seen on this planet. If the United States federal government doesn’t drastically reorder the entire American economy (under the compulsion of law) and spend billions of dollars, mankind will suffer a catastrophic change in the entire climate of the Earth. The warming of the Earth’s temperature will be so extreme that life on Earth for our children and grandchildren will be in jeopardy.

The Russians hacked our election and Hillary Clinton is the rightful President rather than the racist and misogynistic Donald Trump.

Do I now make sense?
AMDG
CU Final Four

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Wales and vivid:

For the last 30 years and into the immediate future, carbon dioxide emitted by humans and machines created by humans has gone into the atmosphere and at record levels never before seen on this planet. If the United States federal government doesn’t drastically reorder the entire American economy (under the compulsion of law) and spend billions of dollars, mankind will suffer a catastrophic change in the entire climate of the Earth. The warming of the Earth’s temperature will be so extreme that life on Earth for our children and grandchildren will be in jeopardy.

The Russians hacked our election and Hillary Clinton is the rightful President rather than the racist and misogynistic Donald Trump.

Do I now make sense?

Ah, deflection tactic from miserable attempt at humor. Really, that was your only play.
vivid_dude

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am

CU Final Four wrote:Wales and vivid:

Do I now make sense?

No. None of those truths has anything at all to do with your inane ramblings about Husker football. I know actual logic and coherence aren’t your strong suit, but come on now ...
Outlaw_Wales

Return to Off Topic