Global Warming

Return to Off Topic

Re: Global Warming

Postby bird_call » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Bless your heart CUF4.

Did you even read the title of the paper you linked?
Wind-generated Electricity in China: Decreasing Potential, Inter-annual Variability and Association with Changing Climate

The amount of energy from wind didn't decrease. The maximum wind energy that could be generated (if there were windmills everywhere) decreased because maximum wind speeds are decreasing as a result of warmer winters in the inland north. And the decrease in maximum energy is dependent on higher temperatures due to anthropogenic climate change.

You don't believe in anthropogenic climate change. I don't think you like wind energy either.

So either this paper is right, and China will need to invest in solar or nuclear while reducing greenhouse gases (GHGs) or this paper is based on a false premise and China should build out more wind facilities.
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm

BC

I got that paper from my buddy at Cal Berkeley. He had a different take: Wind power is just a poor performer.

And did you ever consider that coal and nat gas is cheaper and provides steady - not intermittent - power?
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby bird_call » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 pm

CUF4,

Either you are really lazy and didn't actually read anything in the paper, or you are incapable of understanding the paper.

That paper says climate change will cause poorer wind energy performance in China.

So either (1) you've changed your mind and believe that climate change is happening and will make wind energy performance decline in China or (2) you just searched for snippets of info that support conclusions you've already come to and don't actually read or even skim the information you are passing along to see if it makes sense.

I tend to think the answer is 2. It is sad to see the Creighton Degree we both share being debased by such lazy and uncritical reading comprehension.
bird_call

Postby Oldfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Bird - let him go - he’s nothing but an internet troll
Oldfan

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 pm

WaPo’s take,

“The studies suggest that, at least for wind energy, that is not only happening — at least in some key locations — but that it could grow worse. . .

The first of the two studies, recently published in Nature Scientific Reports, gives a first glimpse at an answer. It finds that the nation that has installed more wind energy than any other on Earth — China — is actually seeing a lowering of wind energy potential across vast regions, especially inner Mongolia and Gansu, two of the largest installation areas.

“To my great surprise instead of finding a random signal, we found that it was actually declining,” said Michael McElroy, a Harvard Earth sciences professor who is one of the authors of the study. He conducted the research with Peter Sherman, the first author, and Xinyu Chen of Harvard.”

It is best to have reliable power. That means coal, nat gas and nuke.

CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:23 pm

1974 CIA assessment on climate change. Spectacularly wrong. But all the new predictions about events from 2050 to 2100 are correct. Science!

http://history.state.gov/historicaldocu ... e14p1/d144

CU Final Four

Postby bird_call » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:16 pm

California is a decade ahead of schedule in meeting its renewable energy goal of 50% of power coming from renewable sources.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/12/21/california-poised-hit-50-renewable-target-full-decade-ahead-schedule/

When Schwarzenegger began the state’s renewable energy push, state Republicans screamed that it would strangle job growth and force electricity customers to pay higher utility bills. In fact, the opposite has occurred. California has created a boom in construction jobs in the solar and wind power sectors. The price of solar power has plunged from $136 per MWh in 2008 to $30 per MWh today. Wind power costs have fallen from $97 per MWh in 2007 to under $51 per MWh.

And of course California managed to do all of this investment in renewable energy while having the biggest (2.3T GDP) and among the fastest growing economy (3.2% per year over the last 5 years, 2.9% job growth per year over the same period) in the entire country.

https://howmuch.net/articles/the-current-state-of-usa-economy
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Brandeis (the judge; not the dining hall) wrote that the states are the laboratories of democracy. So let’s do an experiment. Let’s see how well CA does after 10 years of high taxes and high energy costs.

Merry Christmas, BC.

CU Final Four

Postby bird_call » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm not sure how to do this experiment because California is naturally a moderate temperature state, cooled and warmed by the moderating influence of the ocean. Since home heating isn't necessary for most of the state, and air conditioning is not necessary by the coast, Californians have low overall energy costs.

Our fuel is the second most expensive in the nation, second only to Hawaii. Our taxes are notoriously high.

Overall though, the extreme cost of living in California is driven by the cost of property and wages. Taxes are high but so are incomes. Energy costs are irrelevant when you work for Google, Apple, Hollywood, or some Biopharmaceutical company.
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 am

It is cost per kwh - not per month- that counts. California temps are unlike Nebraska’s . We range from negative 20 to positive 100. Apples and oranges.

And there is no economic reason why gasoline is so expensive in The Golden State.

The fact is that California has been extraordinarily blessed but it has squandered so much. How much greater would California be if it wasn’t so poorly managed? Read California native Victor Davis Hanson on roads and water.

Not everyone can work for Apple and Google. What about the least among us? High gasoline and energy prices hit the poor the hardest.

But California will never change. Failed public schools, tribal politics and illegal immigration will lead to more tears and failure.

CU Final Four

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic