Global Warming

Return to Off Topic

Re: Global Warming

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 pm

However, the solar variability is not negligible in comparison with the energy imbalance that drives global temperature change. Therefore, because of the combination of the strong 2016 El Niño and the phase of the solar cycle, it is plausible, if not likely, that the next 10 years of global temperature change will leave an impression of a ‘global warming hiatus’.

Hansen has learned - over the years - to hedge his bets. He had us flooded years ago and that didn’t work out.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Liberal NYT writer advises readers not to have children due to dire threat of climate change.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/02/05/n ... -of-cause/

CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 pm

NOAA, “We don’t like the numbers, so we will change them.”

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpres ... more-31926

Can we go back and change the Nova game numbers?

CU Final Four

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Hillary at Georgetown: Women hit hardest by global warming.

http://news.grabien.com/story-hillary-w ... climate-ch

Hope she wasn’t paid by GT or at least not six figures like Bill got from Vlad.

CU Final Four

Postby sgojays » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

I think climate change is real, how about you guys?
sgojays

Postby bird_call » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Bless your heart CUF4.

Here's a handy flowchart for how I'm going to debunk all of your garbage posts.

Re: NYT writer advises - I read the article and the "Wattsupwiththat" claims. This is one of those "trend" pieces that the NYT does. It is dumb and is full of vague assertions.
Nonetheless, your claim is that the author "advises readers not to have children." The author does not advise. She reports on a dozen plus interviews and on some organization.

So in this case, your claim is simply false.

Re: NOAA temperatures - the claim is that the methodology for calculating state average temperatures is bogus and purposefully manipulated to increase the magnitude of the trend.

Given the investigation into New York's data, this falls into the categories of 1) Cherry picking, conspiracy theory, and false cause. The data is cherry picked in three way: 1) NOAA is one of many long-term temperature records (NASA GISS, Japan Meteorological Agency, UK Met office, Berkeley Earth Science, Satellite records, etc.), 2) it focuses on a single state when these temperature records used to calculated global means are obviously global, and 3) it evaluates a single year's record relative to a 125 year trend. The conspiracy theory is that scientists at all of these agencies are deliberately manipulating the results. And the false cause is that this year's cold weather in New York is somehow material to a global climate change hypothesis.

Moreover, the reliability of a random blogger at "notalotofpeopleknowthat" seems kinda hinky to me.

Re: Hillary speaking at Georgetown -
The claim is apparently that Hillary is flogging climate change to enrich herself, similar to smears against Al Gore's wealth being a result of his climate change advocacy.

This is a RED HERRING argument that has nothing to do with the validity or falsification of climate change. Conservatives don't like Hillary, conservatives don't like climate change, guilt by association.
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 pm

BC

Very nice reply! Sincerely.

In order:

1. The NYT is reporting on a trend amongst liberals with the hope of increasing the trend and getting the “world is coming to end via climate change” narrative further into the popular culture and zeitgeist. And therefore more people act on it. So it is advice. The thinking is if you love your future children it would be wrong to bring them into a Mad Max world. Gloom and doom. Climate change is the worst thing ever and we must take drastic and immediate action; both personally and politically.

2. The NY case is just another example of adjusting numbers with no transparency as to why. We all know how the UK numbers were cooked and manipulated only because of the email leak.

The larger point is that all of the agencies you cite have a financial and political bias to mess with the numbers. And who checks them? Who watches the watchers? Juvenal.

There is no conspiracy. Just groupthink and a natural bias to win the climate war. Another example would be that the Trump haters and Dems don’t need some big meeting or secret list to get their message straight each day. They naturally oppose and hate Trump and they generally think alike. The get their cues from a few thought leaders and then it is an echo chamber. The NYT usually starts things going on all things liberal.

3. Just more identity politics from Hillary. Same old, same old. She’s just trying to recruit women to the Dem party and to vote for her for the third time.

Her speech reminded me of the old joke about the NYT reporting on the end of the world. Headline, “World to End. Third World Impacted Hardest.”
Last edited by CU Final Four on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CU Final Four

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm

BC

On another note, your side is always going to have an upper hand with people who want to believe Man is destroying the Earth. Malthus proved that point long ago.

The other beautiful part for your side is that the all of the horribles to be caused by climate change are now supposed to happen 40 to 80 years from now; after all the money is collected and spent. Gore and others were fools to predict the end of the world to be in 2016 back when they first cooked up the scam. Too many people called them on the carpet. So they wised up and moved the goalposts to some vague and unspecified date in the far distant future when they are dead from natural causes.

CU Final Four

Postby bird_call » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:42 pm

CUF4,

1. Fact - NYT reported a trend piece. Inference by CUF4 - therefore more people act on it; hence advice. Of course, this inference has no logical basis or reasoning to support it being true. Reporting on a "trend" from a sample of 15 people does not noticeably change the decisions of the billions of human beings on this planet, or even the millions of New Yorkers who are making decisions on whether to have children.

2. All the numbers and methods for each of these datasets are publicly available and critiqued by both scientists and citizens. Therefore, show me the alternate method and alternate time series that refutes the claim that temperatures have risen globally as a result of greenhouse gas emissions. Is there one? Because I haven't seen it.

Here's WoodforTrees data from NASA GIS, Berkeley Earth, UAH satellite, and UK Met Office time series of temperature since 1979 when the satellite record came online. As you can clearly see, the differences between the four time series are not significant. Thus, these four independent groups using four different methods are agreeing on the result. Any statistical treatment of the influence of a single site on a global time series is going to show it as negligble.

3. Clinton Derangement Syndrome. Still a red herring.
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 pm

BC

92% of temps are modeled. And look at the last chart.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/09/27/a ... ed-values/

CU Final Four

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic