Global Warming

Return to Off Topic

Re: Global Warming

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 am

I could knock at least 10 points off of that 45 number by asking the following question:

Germany has forced power companies to generate much of their electricity from solar and wind. This was done to combat global warming and avoid a 0.03 temperature increase in 2100. As a consequence of this policy, electricity costs three times more than it does in the United States. Do you want the US to adopt a policy like Germany’s?

It is all about how the question is asked.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 am

But the question asked in the poll was something like this:

Do you want to save the planet from global warming? It will spare your kids and grandkids from all sorts of misery. And it won’t cost you a dime. Other people will pay for it.

CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby bird_call » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am

Bless your heart CUF4.

The cost of electricity is essentially unchanged or down over the last 50 years for the US. See here and here:
https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/annual/showtext.php?t=ptb0810
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/02/electricity-demand-is-down-but-we-keep-building-power-plants-anyway/

The fraction of electricity coming from non-fossil fuel sources over the last 20 years has gone way up. Renewable energy went from 7.7% of electricity generation in 2001 to just under 15% in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_States

Emissions of pollution from fossil fuel combustion have also gone down significantly over the same 20 years.

There's no conflict between cheap energy, clean energy, and a reduction of pollution.
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 pm

BC

The average US electricity cost is 0.12 cents kwh.

The average cost of electricity in Germany is 0.37 US cents per kWh.

Of that German cost, 23% is for a renewable fuels tax. See link below.

Try selling a tripling of electricity costs on your fellow Californians. Jesuit educated Jerry Brown knows that is a non starter.

Yeah, sign me up for higher costs to pay Wall Street fat cats and other costal elites in order to solve a non existent problem.

http://www.cleanenergywire.org/factshee ... -pay-power

CU Final Four

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 pm

House Committee on Science report dated March 1, 2018.

Numerous Russian posts focused on the ongoing debate about climate change by linking catastrophic weather events to climate change and divisively labeling one viewpoint as right and one as left. One post characterizes Americans as ignoring major events that are allegedly signs of climate change. Additionally, these posts frame the conservative viewpoint regarding climate change as a “liberal hoax,” all in an effort to generate further domestic controversy surrounding the issue of climate change.

CU Final Four

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Fight climate change by eating Mac and Cheese. Not a joke.

http://www.fastcompany.com/40539373/thi ... ate-change

CU Final Four

Postby bird_call » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 pm

CUF4,

Here's the prices of electricity in europe. There are 3 countries with much higher than normal prices - Germany, Denmark, and Belgium. They are high there because of taxes/levies, not because the base rates are higher.

bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 am

Consumers pay the gross cost and that includes the taxes and levies. We know 23% of Germany’s rate includes a Green tax. And the poor Europeans don’t have the coal, oil and gas like we do. Let’s use our natural competitive advantage. We don’t need to make ourselves cold and poor like the sad Euros.

CU Final Four

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:19 pm

I’ll be testifying as a witness for the defendants.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation- ... 42084.html

Seriously, 12(b)(6) motion should have been granted.

So some federal judge in California is going to tax usvand force us to buy solar power?

CU Final Four

Postby Jaybird » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:04 pm

First, nobody gives a crap and nobody ever has and, second, what the hell are you doing posting about your global warming-denier fetish during crunch time of the Creighton game? Are you really a Jays fan, or do you just pretend to be one?

So, who or what do you really cheer for? Obviously not Creighton since true fans were watching a nip-and-tuck tournament game today while you were busy posting your latest little anti-climate change screed. Apparently, you're not a Providence fan either. So, is it nebraska you pull for? Wichita, maybe? Or, is it melting polar sea ice you're rooting for? The huskers, shocks and the ice caps are all slumping these days, so maybe your support would be appreciated.
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic