Greatest CU basketball memory

Return to Off Topic

Greatest CU basketball memory

Postby Dundee Hipster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:56 pm

I've seen the contests on social media where First National Bank will give away tickets to people with good CU basketball memories. Some of the comments were pretty interesting. What's your favorite memory as a Creighton basketball fan?

My number one is making the trip to Arch Madness in the final season of the Valley. It felt epic playing Wichita State for the final of the final season in the MVC. As if it was written in a script. Then to win at the last second amongst a sea of blue on one side and a disappointed sea of yellow on the other. I don't know if much could top that.

A close second would be Doug's senior night against Providence and scoring the 3,000th point on a deep three over Carson Desrosiers.

Third would be Tolliver's game winner against Wichita State. One because it was awesome, secondly because my mother went nuts and somehow gave this stranger next to her a smooth secret hand shake. We still laugh about it to this day.
Dundee Hipster

Re: Greatest CU basketball memory

Postby BoarCommaThe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Being at the United Center live for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfiyAvoW2M
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby NUgradCUfan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Doug's 3000th point game and the Marquette New Year's Eve game are tied for me. Both were the loudest I've heard the Clink. The whole crowd singing Sweet Caroline just naturally and them getting that turnover will never be forgotten by anyone that was there. Now I've gotta go watch the highlight of that again.

Second for me, even tho I was only 13, was CU's final game at the Civic when we rick rolled Wichita State. Last time I got to see my favorite player Larry House in person that year because I chose to like him to be different than all my friends that liked Korver. Great times.
NUgradCUfan

Postby KenoshaJay » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:51 pm

BoarCommaThe wrote:Being at the United Center live for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfiyAvoW2M

I was there also. My #1.

A close second was sitting on the top row watching Doug go for 45 against Providence on Senior Night.
KenoshaJay

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:16 pm

a few:

oddly enough - one was on this very day in '98 when al huss banked in his three to beat eddie sutton, Ali Gottlieb, and OSU at the old civic

beating NMSU in round one in the tourney back in 89 - our guys went into that game KNOWING they were gonna win and they did

the Vegas tourney which was kind of doug's national coming out party w wins against Wisky and Az St - man was that a fun drunken weekend
cujaysfan

Postby bluejaydano » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Beating Chris Marcus and Top Ten ranked Western Kentucky and rushing the court at the Civic.
bluejaydano

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Being at 5 conference tournament championships in St. Louis were all fun, but the best was 2003. After two nailbiters (beating a bad Indiana State team by one and another 1 point victory of Wichita), we absolutely demolished the top-seeded Salukis in the final. 42-16 was the halftime score, 80-56 the final. This was at the peak of the rivalry.

My 1.a. would be Doug's senior year, at home vs. Villanova. Earlier that year was the Wragge-bomb game. Villanova was still top 10, Doug dropped 39 and Jays won 101-80. It was my first "Creighton in the Big East" game.
Savannah Jay

Postby LJay » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Rick Apke hitting the 18 foot J from straight out to beat Larry Bird's Indy State while I sat in the first row of that end zone right behind the basket. Blew the roof off the Civic!! We stormed the court after their last ditch heave failed.
77 - 62
LJay

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:55 pm

It was an unseasonably warm day in early March of 2009 when my fondest CU memory occurred. For the five years prior, the flowers didn't smell as nice. The air wasn't as fresh. The songbirds seemed out of tune.

On that magnificent day, Matt Perrault left Omaha radio and all was right with the world. I'm actually starting to tear up a little as I type this...

That said, he is clearly responsible for the program's success. No reasonable person would dispute that.
vivid_dude

Postby Sportinblue » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:10 pm

February 1991. Double-OT win over a good SWMO team at the Civic. Harstad had 30points. Was born a Bluejay but that was the game that hooked me for life.
Sportinblue

Next

Return to Off Topic