Creighton University suspends Maurice Watson, Jr.

Return to Off Topic

Re: Creighton University suspends Maurice Watson, Jr.

Postby cufan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:
cufan wrote: What part of the difference between legal standard and public opinion don't you understand? Everybody and their mother believed OJ killed his wife.

Please go jump off a cliff and stop trolling this thread now.

no trolling here. just pointing out basic difference between burden of proof in criminal trial and public relations. you seem to be grumpy lately.

just use other examples to remove emotion from it. George Zimmerman. Would it have been appropriate for him to attend a Trayvon Martin public memorial while he was out on bail? Of course not, even though it would have been legal for him to do so.
cufan

Postby Sec121Jay » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Sigh. This is just going to keep getting worse.

WOWT 6 News messaged Watson’s father on social media Monday. We asked if we could interview him about the case against his son. He messaged back saying he would have to be paid for the interview. They are trying to raise money for Watson’s bail. WOWT does not pay for interviews, so we declined the offer.

Watson's father went on to say, "but honestly not sure how I feel talking to the media outlets...you guys have thrown him under the bus since all this has happened...I have seen no support from none of you guys. The same guy you were boasting you are now turned on.. And now you want to talk to me, for what.. To benefit you and your ratings.. How does sharing our comments help us... It doesnt. You would never print what I want to say.. But you guys have not printed [victim's name] name not one time.. Mo is the true victim."

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Family ... 11023.html
Sec121Jay

Postby Duke1Agn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Their crowdfunding page has disappeared.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby nateking1482 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Duke1Agn wrote:Their crowdfunding page has disappeared.

Guessing the legal team put a stop to that, along with any additional monetary requests in exchange for interviews from his parents. Just not a good look.
nateking1482

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 pm

WOWT publishing those comments (obviously off the record) is CLASSLESS.
whiteandblue77

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:WOWT publishing those comments (obviously off the record) is CLASSLESS.

What makes you think this was "obviously" off the record? Those comments -- and the ones on the funding page that was taken down -- really don't paint the family in a good public light here. Throwing the University under the bus by suggesting that they should be running to Mo's defense and ignoring that the alleged victim is ALSO a student, suggesting something improper in the media not publicizing the alleged victim's name (when that is pretty much NEVER done in these kinds of cases, for good reason), demanding money to speak with them instead of just saying no comment, etc. -- that all makes the family look bad and doesn't help public perception of Mo at all. All of the comments on the article about the funding page were extremely negative toward Mo, toward Creighton, and toward the basketball program.

Mo doesn't have a First Amendment right to attend a college basketball game at a venue hosting a Creighton event when he's been barred from campus and suspended from all school and athletic activities. I'm glad the players expressed support for Mo's family afterward last night, but it's completely unreasonable to expect anything else of the school or the athletic department, and it would be foolish of his lawyers to parade him out at a game like that.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Old MVC Days » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:WOWT publishing those comments (obviously off the record) is CLASSLESS.

What makes you think this was "obviously" off the record? Those comments -- and the ones on the funding page that was taken down -- really don't paint the family in a good public light here. Throwing the University under the bus by suggesting that they should be running to Mo's defense and ignoring that the alleged victim is ALSO a student, suggesting something improper in the media not publicizing the alleged victim's name (when that is pretty much NEVER done in these kinds of cases, for good reason), demanding money to speak with them instead of just saying no comment, etc. -- that all makes the family look bad and doesn't help public perception of Mo at all. All of the comments on the article about the funding page were extremely negative toward Mo, toward Creighton, and toward the basketball program.

Mo doesn't have a First Amendment right to attend a college basketball game at a venue hosting a Creighton event when he's been barred from campus and suspended from all school and athletic activities. I'm glad the players expressed support for Mo's family afterward last night, but it's completely unreasonable to expect anything else of the school or the athletic department, and it would be foolish of his lawyers to parade him out at a game like that.

I agree with all of this. It is a terrible look to be asking to get paid for media interviews. I kind of can't believe some of the comments his mother has made on that crowdfunding page, really damaging their defense in my opinion.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

JustGiving took down the page and refunded the donations after reading the WOWT story and getting "complaints"

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Compan ... 34613.html
whiteandblue77

Postby loynograd98 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm

According to my Twitter feed, MO has posted bail.
loynograd98

Postby flixx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Something seems to have been done poorly despite the statements...imo

The commander in charge of the Omaha Police Department’s sexual assault unit has been reassigned in the aftermath of the sexual assault investigation into former Creighton basketball star Maurice Watson.

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told The World-Herald that Lt. Mark Desler, who had led the child victim/sexual assault investigation team since 2015, was transferred Monday.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/head-of-opd-sex-assault-unit-reassigned-in-wake-of/article_fd97794a-0072-11e7-a60a-c790f457c950.html
flixx

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic