Election in Northern Ireland

Return to Off Topic

Election in Northern Ireland

Postby LynchMob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:16 am

Since it's St. Pat's season and many of us are Catholic or Irish and might vaguely care about this, figured I would post about an issue I keep a close eye on.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 01158.html

In the election in Northern Ireland today, what had been a huge unionist majority evaporated. For the first time, there are nationalist (in favor of a United Ireland) and unionist (in favor of continuing as part of the United Kingdom) blocs of roughly equal size: 40 unionists, 39 nationalists, and 11 non-committed members in the Northern Irish Assembly.

This sea change has been brought on by four main factors:
* Brexit. The UK as a whole voted to leave the EU but a substantial majority in Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU. The largest unionist party, the DUP, is very pro-Brexit and even paid for advertisements on the issue that ran in England. This was the first general election since the Brexit referendum. There is also a large and growing concern about how Brexit will affect Northern Ireland. Everyone born in the North currently has the right to Irish (and therefore EU) citizenship, and the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland have shared a Common Travel Area without hard borders since the 1920s. Both arrangements are unlikely to persist in the same way post-Brexit.
* Demographics. The Catholics/nationalists (here, broadly interchangeable) are much younger and having more children than the Protestants/unionists.
* Turnout. Related to demographics, young people are much less likely to vote. But turnout was up 10% from the last election, with the nationalist bloc gaining substantial support in first preference votes (Northern Ireland uses a complicated transferable vote system)
* Scandal. The DUP presided over a program called the RHI, the Renewable Heat Incentive, which was intended to subsidize more modern and environmentally friendly boiler systems. However, this program was massively flawed: there was no cap on the amount of subsidy one person or business could receive, so those who qualified under the program frequently ran their heaters literally 24/7, as it was profitable to waste all the heat. In total the impact of this scandal is going to cost Northern Ireland more than £500 million in a country of under 2 million people.

Overall, the surge of nationalist parties into true parity with unionist parties will be making a lot of people nervous. Northern Ireland has never had a government led by nationalists, although under the 1998 Good Friday Agreement all parties enter into a unity government, so there's not a lot of immediate political consequence if nationalists won a permanent narrow majority. However, the Good Friday Agreement also allows nationalists in Northern Ireland and in the Republic of Ireland to petition for referendums in both countries at a time of their choosing. If both referendums voted in favor, the UK is committed to the prospect of a United Ireland. Combined with continued constitutional questions in the UK and a possible second Scottish independence referendum coming up soon, many unionists are rightly nervous about the future of Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is a source of massive misunderstanding and misinformation in the U.S., so feel free to ask me any questions you're curious about.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Re: Election in Northern Ireland

Postby Dangerous » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:05 pm

LynchMob wrote:* Scandal. The DUP presided over a program called the RHI, the Renewable Heat Incentive, which was intended to subsidize more modern and environmentally friendly boiler systems. However, this program was massively flawed: there was no cap on the amount of subsidy one person or business could receive, so those who qualified under the program frequently ran their heaters literally 24/7, as it was profitable to waste all the heat. In total the impact of this scandal is going to cost Northern Ireland more than £500 million in a country of under 2 million people.

Whoops!

I have to admit to you that Northern Irish politics are not high on my own list of interests, but this was interesting. Thanks for posting this, Lynch. This should be a thing on the off topic board - people posting informative and insightful things about their various topics of interest.
Space jam lol be for we played UCF in college I asked MJs son Marcus during warmups if he was actually in space jam sure was still won by20 —@AY30, 9/16/14
Dangerous

Postby Panhandle Jay » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:46 pm

While Catholic, I back the unionists.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby LynchMob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:While Catholic, I back the unionists.

Why? The Northern Ireland statelet was essentially gerrymandered to preserve a false majority running an apartheid state in the corner of the country.
LynchMob

Postby PIAJay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:While Catholic, I back the unionists.

FFS why? I see a peaceful reunification in the future. Birth rates & Brexit may very well bring about the united Ireland that the 'armalite and the ballot box' could not.
"I've never been to Alaska, but I can tell you this,
I've been to Lincoln, Nebraska and hell you know it ain't worth shit"
Dallas Green
PIAJay

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 am

I'm a Brit. Born to an English mother and Scottish father. I have a certain dislike about the Irish's social unity movement. The support given to terrorist organizations, the anti-west sentiment. That's why.
Panhandle Jay

Postby LynchMob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 am

Panhandle Jay wrote:I'm a Brit. Born to an English mother and Scottish father. I have a certain dislike about the Irish's social unity movement. The support given to terrorist organizations, the anti-west sentiment. That's why.

Then surely you have equal dislike for terrorism committed by the UK?
LynchMob

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 am

LynchMob wrote:
Panhandle Jay wrote:I'm a Brit. Born to an English mother and Scottish father. I have a certain dislike about the Irish's social unity movement. The support given to terrorist organizations, the anti-west sentiment. That's why.

Then surely you have equal dislike for terrorism committed by the UK?

Thanks, I'm fully aware of the mrf. I was more referring to current times.
Panhandle Jay

Postby LynchMob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 am

In current times the Republican movement has repudiated violence completely. Just this morning, IRA Commander turned Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness passed away. Sinn Fein is constantly campaigning for a Truth and Reconciliation Commission modeled on South Africa to be set up, but they face substantial resistance from London in doing so, as London would be forced to admit it ordered the executions of many Catholic civilians.
LynchMob

Postby bird_call » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 pm

I guess those Irish don't have any reason to feel dislike for the British after 400+ years of anti-catholic subjugation, and the death of literally millions of Irish through wars and famine due to the British occupation from 1600 through 1920.

(full disclosure, my parents were both born in Ireland).
bird_call

Next

Return to Off Topic