Cord Cutting

Return to Off Topic

Cord Cutting

Postby taa71458 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Who's done it? What service do you use? Any thoughts on Playstation Vue?
taa71458

Re: Cord Cutting

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm

dig it - had vue for the entire hoops season - only issue was games on cbs sports network - which doesn't stream other than in limited situations

i use roku - and am not crazy about interface - but it's ok

directv has a new service that is worth checking out

my 25 Mb comcast pipe works for my tv viewing and home office internet without throttling - but you might need more if you have more than 1-2 people who are viewers
cujaysfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:40 pm

I have vue and can run 3 or 4 streams with a 40x20... I like it...I use Fire TV and works good...firestick wirks good too bUT the menu interface is much slower. I did have to get an antenna for over air. I use my brother's Cox login for CBS sports and cast to my chromcast with my phone.
TrueBlueJay

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:35 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:I have vue and can run 3 or 4 streams with a 40x20... I like it...I use Fire TV and works good...firestick wirks good too bUT the menu interface is much slower. I did have to get an antenna for over air. I use my brother's Cox login for CBS sports and cast to my chromcast with my phone.

Help this tech dummy out - what is "40 x 20"?

I've been considering the Vue, but wanted to wait until hoops season was over to start experimenting.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 am

40 meg download (the important #) by 20 meg upload (not as important for streaming - just if you are uploading lots)

Vue says you need 10 meg (download) for the first stream and 5 meg for every subsequent stream, so 40 meg is PLENTY for me. I'd say you need at least a 20 meg download and a 5 meg upload (20x5) to use Vue. By the way - their DVR functionality works great. My wife uses the crap out of it.

Now if we start talking about 4k streaming it is a different story. If you have a 4k TV and want to stream a 4k program from Netflix, etc...the talk is 25 meg for ONE stream of 4k programming. My TVs are not 4k as they are a little older so I can't speak to streaming 4k. Currently Netflix only has like 20 programs that are 4k, but it is the next wave...IF companies can keep up with the broadband demand. I think 4k will take off when sports programming finally becomes available. That being said, I can't see a Cox or CenturyLink every sending a 4k signal into the home, unless it is just for a channel or two. Just eats up too much bandwidth.
TrueBlueJay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am

I should add, if you have a bunch of kids streaming things on their devices (phones, tablets, etc) you may need more than 20 meg to be safe. 40 seems to work great when my kids are home and everyone has a device out.
TrueBlueJay

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks TBJ
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby flixx » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 am

Sort of fits in this thread...good long read about the business aspects of ESPN...people have been predicting its demise for some time...this may be it though....need a business plan that allows for ala carte cable viewing or a way to capture cord cutters??

As subscribers leave the network, and often cable altogether, ESPN is stuck with rising costs for the rights to broadcast games. Programming costs will top $8 billion in 2017, according to media researcher Kagan. Most of that money goes to rights fees through deals that extend into the next decade. Last year profits from Disney’s cable networks, of which ESPN is the largest, fell for the first time in 14 years. The dip was small, about half a percent, but nonetheless alarming. Rich Greenfield, a media analyst at BTIG Research, says ESPN has been “over-earning,” with cable customers paying for the channel as part of their subscription bundle, whether they watch it or not. “It’s pretty clear that the years of over-earning are going to end,” says Greenfield, who’s made a name for himself as an ESPN naysayer. “The question is does it end slowly or fast.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-30/espn-has-seen-the-future-of-tv-and-they-re-not-really-into-it
flixx

Return to Off Topic