ESPN Layoffs

Return to Off Topic

ESPN Layoffs

Postby GI Jay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 am

I wonder other people's thoughts or if any one else is following some of the people let go from ESPN today. A lot of familiar names are being released, some that cover college basketball. I feel ESPN is now going full bore into ex-player mansplaining instead of trying to focus back on their journalism. Most of everyone getting the axe are reporters and journalists.

Some of the most well known people gone:
Ed Werder, long time NFL reporter
Dana O'Neil, college basketball writer
Eamonn Brennan, a favorite here for his Bubble Watch articles
Jim Bowden, MLB 'insider' that mostly made up fake Boston Red Sox trades that never happened
Pierre LeBrun and most of the NHL guys
Brett McMurphy, college football writer

There will be a bunch more, but these are just a few. Rumors of John Buccigross not going to get his contract renewed, a lot of back and forth on that.
GI Jay

Re: ESPN Layoffs

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am

What if I told you that a corporation couldn't maintain long-term profitability by using an out-dated business model?
cujaysfan

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Jayson Stark ...
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby BoarCommaThe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Hannah Storm, Ryen Russillo, and Karl Ravich all are getting reduced roles...
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby GI Jay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Add Jay Crawford, Danny Kanell, and a college basketball writer that was usually high on the Jays in CL Brown.

And FWIW, no wonder Len Elmore was doing more games on FS1 this year. ESPN fired him too today.
GI Jay

Postby Polyfro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm

There's a school of thought that ESPN getting too preachy about social issues is the cause of their budget woes (supposedly because middle America is tuning out en masse), but I don't think that's the case here. If it was, the people shouting at each other on their daytime shows would be the ones getting the boot, because poor ratings (and advertisers leaving) would demand it. These cuts came almost entirely from their news division, not the "entertainment" side, because while people bitch about shows like First Take they get massive ratings.

This looks more like a case of having to slash budgets, and doing what a massive corporation does in that case: getting rid of people who make the company the least amount of money, like beat reporters, feature writers, etc.

The combination of a massive fixed sunk cost (live sports rights) and ever-declining subscriber numbers (due to cord cutters) is a bubble that's only begun to burst.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Jet915 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Can't stand ESPN and their social propaganda anyways, good riddance....
Jet915

Postby cu8493 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 pm

College football games , college basketball games and Sports Nation. Otherwise almost never have it on. Really nothing to do with political views, because I don't watch any of those people. Just don't spend much time watching those kind of shows.
cu8493

Postby Bluejoe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 pm

This is a bummer for me. I actually like reporting and news. I loved old baseball tonight that actually showed full highlights of all of the games.

And my favorite part of the World Herald was Pivs notes after a game. A bunch of tidbits, quotes, facts, etc. Sad that sports reporting like this is on the way out.

I always wonder about how First Take, Kardashians, etc get ratings. Some shows I say I hate, but watch anyway. But I find stuff like that unwatchable. Who is watching?
Bluejoe

Postby BoarCommaThe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 am

Original college basketball guy, Andy Katz, is a victim to the firings. That one shocks me the most!
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Next

Return to Off Topic