ESPN Layoffs

Return to Off Topic

Re: ESPN Layoffs

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 am

Jet915 wrote:Can't stand ESPN and their social propaganda anyways, good riddance....

100+ people lost their jobs yesterday. Impacts all of their families. Sons, daughters, spouses, grandkids. 100+ families were hit with incredibly terrible news yesterday. 100+ families woke up today with some uncertainty about their futures.

Listening to sports talk radio yesterday, a non-ESPN employee who definitely has no love for the network went on this rant about the twitter and message board contingency who use this event as an excuse to display their own glaring weaknesses as human beings. He basically said you have to be a special kind of loser to see 100+ people lose their job and get excited. His point was, did Jayson Stark and Dana O'Neill and whoever else really do so much to you that this sad day is worthy of celebration? How terrible of a person would you have to be to have that reaction? What kind of weird, ignorant sports bubble do said people live in to respond in that way?

They are all legitimate questions. I agreed with the guy at the time. Still do.
Last edited by vivid_dude on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivid_dude

Postby FreddyMac » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 am

BoarCommaThe wrote:Original college basketball guy, Andy Katz, is a victim to the firings. That one shocks me the most!

Wow. I agree with you. FS1 needs to get on the phone with him ASAP.
FreddyMac

Postby cu8493 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 am

FreddyMac wrote:
BoarCommaThe wrote:Original college basketball guy, Andy Katz, is a victim to the firings. That one shocks me the most!

Wow. I agree with you. FS1 needs to get on the phone with him ASAP.

+1000
cu8493

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 am

katz gone

dickie V still employed

that tells you all you need to know about espn
cujaysfan

Postby section202jay » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 am

This is all the result of specialization and cable cutting. As much as I want to believe it is a result of ESPN's vast shift to the left politically, it's not.

Major hits to college basketball though. Dana O'Neil, Eamonn Brennan and now Katz.

And FS1, if you have any investment to make for college basketball right now, hire Andy Katz.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby SendDustyIn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am

vivid_dude wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Can't stand ESPN and their social propaganda anyways, good riddance....

100+ people lost their jobs yesterday. Impacts all of their families. Sons, daughters, spouses, grandkids. 100+ families were hit with incredibly terrible news yesterday. 100+ families woke up today with some uncertainty about their futures.

Listening to sports talk radio yesterday, a non-ESPN employee who definitely has no love for the network went on this rant about the twitter and message board contingency who use this event as an excuse to display their own glaring weaknesses as human beings. He basically said you have to be a special kind of loser to see 100+ people lose their job and get excited. His point was, did Jayson Stark and Dana O'Neill and whoever else really do so much to you that this sad day is worthy of celebration? How terrible of a person would you have to be to have that reaction? What kind of weird, ignorant sports bubble do said people live in to respond in that way?

They are all legitimate questions. I agreed with the guy at the time. Still do.

When I worked in politics, the day after the election was always a tough one. I would stay up the night before, drinking too much whiskey and watching returns to make sure I would still be employed the next day. Every cycle, a bunch of my friends lost their jobs. It sucked, and only the most partisan d-bags cheered about it. They were the only ones I cheered when their boss lost.

tl;dr - Don't be an ass. Unemployment sucks for everyone. Don't gloat, because you might be on the firing line next.

FWIW, I stopped watching ESPN when they started switching up Top Plays and I could no longer time my lunch break for it. I couldn't sit through Romo/Tebow/Hernandez mania anymore.
SendDustyIn

Postby Polyfro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am

section202jay wrote:This is all the result of specialization and cable cutting. As much as I want to believe it is a result of ESPN's vast shift to the left politically, it's not.

Major hits to college basketball though. Dana O'Neil, Eamonn Brennan and now Katz.

And FS1, if you have any investment to make for college basketball right now, hire Andy Katz.

Agreed 100%.

FS1 gutted their news division a couple years ago, so I'm not sure they're a landing place for those three, as much sense as it would make -- they're terrific, talented reporters who any sports news division would be lucky to have. Katz especially has almost unparalleled connections in the world of CBB; you could add him to FS1's halftime and pregame shows and they'd immediately be way better. The other two are trickier because Fox's online presence is pathetic, and they essentially gave up on it after a half-hearted attempt to beef it up when FS1 launched.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby CUGrads03 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

How can Stephen A Smith not be on the list?
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Location: Looking down on Morrison, the Clink and TD Ameritrade

Postby jayball » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Sucks that people who provide solid reporting and content are gone while dbag TMZ/fake hype people still have jobs.

I rarely watch espn, but I did read things from several of those reporters online.

Sportscenter used to be a nightly event or morning event to keep up with the sports world, college gameday for football used to be weekly viewing but now I have kids and other priorities. I don't know the other programing much anymore but around the horn, Stephen a smith, skip bayless.....were horrible. I will never understand how those make money. Since I talking about crap I don't like.... why do so many networks have 25 people onstage to cover sporting events (or political events). The more people involved in analysis for pregame/broadcast/postgame...the less I like it. NFL studio coverage is absurd at times.

Before we got FS1, I loved the ESPN 3 platform. also many of the 30 for 30 segments are great, when I have time to watch those.

While I disliked ESPN's occasional jabs at the Big East, I think it is sad that the deeply knowledgeable and connected beat writes/reporters lose out in these scenarios.

business model is changing, company overextends or struggles to adapt and changes have to be made. But it seems obnoxious wins job security and competent solid reporting gets the door.
jayball

Postby flixx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 pm

From Sean Davis...cites many of the points here...long read but good.

It’s madness. ESPN went from the worldwide leader in sports to yet another expensive network of dumb people yelling dumb things at other dumb people, all the while forgetting that the most popular entertainment form of people yelling about sports stuff for several hours a day — sports talk radio — is free. This brings us to the final major reason for ESPN’s current predicament.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/26/the-real-story-behind-espns-wednesday-massacre/
flixx

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic