36%
Check out the first game
17%
No thanks, soccer sucks
33%

Total votes : 36

Re: USL to Omaha

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Dicks Sporting Goods Park is really well done. My son has played in tournaments around there and club got us tickets to next day's Rapids game.

What was the cost of an arena like Ralston Arena? The cost of Werner Park? The cost of Baxter Arena?

This may sound stupid but I don't think $5-10 million for a soccer-specific stadium is all that crazy. People just see the word 'new stadium' and get freaked out due to some failures. But it needs to be broken down financially.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby section202jay » Tue May 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:What was the cost of an arena like Ralston Arena? The cost of Werner Park? The cost of Baxter Arena?

This may sound stupid but I don't think $5-10 million for a soccer-specific stadium is all that crazy. People just see the word 'new stadium' and get freaked out due to some failures. But it needs to be broken down financially.

According to OWH's Chris Peters, median USL stadium cost is around $13 million. The disastrous Ralston Arena was close to $40 million. Baxter Arena was $81 million. I imagine it cost a lot less due to it being outdoors, so we have that going for us USL hopefuls.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby hilltopalum » Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 pm

I founded the Omaha chapter of American Outlaws the USA Soccer supporters group. Let me just tell you there is a huge under-current of soccer support here in just the downtown Omaha, Bellevue and Pap-La Vista area. Not everyone would become die-hard Omaha USL fans or supporters but it would do well, and I think Green has seen the figures and the kind of data to suggest it would be one of the better clubs in the midwest eventually.

I think it's a matter of when and where opposed to if this gets done. I really hope they can make it work with Creighton or UNO to play in their stadiums for awhile, or in Creighton's case for good. Morrison is a gem of stadium and doesn't get the pub it deserves nationally because NCAA Soccer is self-limited to a small fraction of sports coverage. As far as Soccer stadiums go it's in an elite class.
hilltopalum

Postby Dundee Hipster » Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 am

hilltopalum wrote:I think Green has seen the figures and the kind of data to suggest it would be one of the better clubs in the midwest eventually.

I think it's a matter of when and where opposed to if this gets done. I really hope they can make it work with Creighton or UNO to play in their stadiums for awhile, or in Creighton's case for good. Morrison is a gem of stadium and doesn't get the pub it deserves nationally because NCAA Soccer is self-limited to a small fraction of sports coverage. As far as Soccer stadiums go it's in an elite class.

My worry is that Green only sees it as a partnership with MLS, identical or close to Triple-A to MLB. He's accustomed to that and comfortable with it. I only see him moving forward if he can get a deal done with Minnesota United. If that doesn't happen, then I imagine Green is not comfortable moving forward. He alluded to it in the initial article.

Morrison Stadium seems like a natural fit. It's downtown, already soccer-specific, and rated highly among all who visit and play there. Probably needs another stand added in to bring seating to 4,000. Can they pay that tax exempt fee for Creighton?
Dundee Hipster

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm

hilltopalum wrote:I founded the Omaha chapter of American Outlaws the USA Soccer supporters group. Let me just tell you there is a huge under-current of soccer support here in just the downtown Omaha, Bellevue and Pap-La Vista area. Not everyone would become die-hard Omaha USL fans or supporters but it would do well, and I think Green has seen the figures and the kind of data to suggest it would be one of the better clubs in the midwest eventually.

RIP Raf, I will support this since he cannot.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:58 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:RIP Raf, I will support this since he cannot.

There is no doubt Raf would have been the biggest advocate for this franchise.
hilltopalum

Previous

Return to Off Topic